Proper compatibility with Apple AirPods to make Ionic's music volume and play/pause controls work

It's quite possible to pair Apple AirPods to the Ionic and listen to tracks I've uploaded to the watch, but it's currently impossible to change the volume or pause and resume music using the onscreen controls.

Please fix this, if only because when I'm running I often want to adjust the music volume depending on environmental noise levels. As it is, the inability to adjust volume level is a potential hazard, both in terms of my hearing and for my safety while out running in built-up areas.

Also, if you press the music pause button on the Ionic, it's impossible to resume play again when listening on AirPods.

AirPods are currently the most popular 'truly wireless' earbuds on the market. I think this should be a priority update. Just my two cents.

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

28 Comments
iJosh
Jogger

Yes, please fix this. Rather silly issue to have.

3JHTQ9
Jogger

I have exactly the same problem and totally agree that it's a potential hazard. The volume is currently stuck at a very high level and I can't hear traffic. So I either have to bring my phone along to listen to music or leave the AirPods at home.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

For clarification have you enabled music control for the phone?

Was this alo a problem with the Blaze?

clickhand
First Steps

I'm able to pause/resume music on my Ionic when paired with Apple Airpods but am disappointed that the volume cannot be adjusted. This is a very strange oversight by Fitbit. Please update this ASAP. There's no excuse that volume control functionality should be absent when using one of the more popular bluetooth earbuds.

deadkenny
Jogger

Prospective ionic buyer, here.    Holding off until this issue is addressed, as it is a showstopper, for me.

Benob
Recovery Runner

Same issue for me. I recently purchased AirPods to be used with my Ionic wirelessly while out running. Not being able to adjust the volume with the ionic is very frustrating. 

philby123
Recovery Runner

Same issue for me, no volume control on my Apple airpods. I have a 30 day return window on my Fitbit Ionic and if this issue is not resolved within that time they will be returned. Are you listening Fitbit ???

clickhand
First Steps

I already returned my Ionic. 

lcabs
Jogger

Yeah please fix. I have wireless Bose and no issue. Why did you over Look volume control with the AirPods is because there apple

deadkenny
Jogger

I ended up buying an Iconic and pairing it with the FitBit Flyer.   Very happy with this combination.   AirPods are a great product and I still use them extensively with my iPhone, but I find that the Flyers are better for workouts.   They have much punchier bass and slightly better isolation. I've been doing without my phone at the gym and loving it!

Fade402
Jogger

I also want my AirPods to work properly with the ionic. 

PEG38
Recovery Runner

Is there a technical issue?   Will it be addressed?  Need to get more votes!

Fade402
Jogger

Good news. Within the Beta Firmware the volume can be changed on the ionic with AirPods. 

Left pod tap. Pause

right tap. Next

i am flabbergasted! Great job

now bring on Spotify and nothing will ever stop you. 

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Timmyh and commenters, this has been fixed with the recent firmware update as of this morning. Enjoy!

Benob
Recovery Runner

Hi Liz. I’m glad to see something has been done about this 👍🏼However I think there is still a bug when pausing music.

I have been using AirPods today and pleased to see the volume controls are working, but when the music is paused, after pressing play again there is no sound on the AirPods despite the music showing as playing on the watch and the AirPods being connected.

The only way I have found to get it to play again is to disconnect and reconnect.

Timmyh
Jogger

Is anyone else still having the same issue after updating as Benob above? - Pause-resume playback problems?

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Benob and @Timmyh sorry for the delay in responding - let me see what I can find out!

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Timmyh and @Benob - there should be a full fix for playback issues with FitOS2.1 release, which is slowly rolling out to all users. Keep me posted!

Couchy
Recovery Runner

Has the volume issue been looked into yet???

Gday2000
Jogger

Volume issue is not fixed.  I just got my AirPods so I don’t know

if it was fixed with an earlier firmware update and isn’t anymore with the latest version but my volume is stuck at max making the music features on the Ionic completely useless.  

MiKESiLVER
Recovery Runner

PLEASE ADDDDD VOLume control

MiKESiLVER
Recovery Runner

Well, what do you know. Still no resolution

S-H
Jogger

This has still not been fixed. Please update to allow volume manipulation.

It is very frustrating as I bought the ionic so I did not need my phone but without being able to change the volume I still need my phone. 

EastBayRunner
First Steps

100% fix!  This is an easy feature both from an implementation and UX/UI perspective. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This has not been fixed for me.  I just bought the Versa on Sunday, uploaded the lastest firmware, and paired my Airpods.  I cannot control the volume.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.