Provide pace data per swim lap instead of calories in the dashboard

Provide swim pace data per lap instead of calories.  Would be helpful to have these time splits. At the end of workout, show total calories as well as average pace.

33 Comments
Danielle2212
Jogger

I would like to see the pace with swimming activities per 100m (the same as for running). Currently you can only see the calories burnes per 100m. It shows the lap times on the watch when finishing the activity but the laptimes cant be found back in the app.

Danielle2212
Jogger

Yes exactly!

DebDarl
Base Runner

When the tracker is actually working to record a swim, how does it know how many calories you are burning if it doesn't record your heart rate? I would like to see that. The heart rate can be seen on Auto. So it is there! Pace info would be useful too.

Danielle2212
Jogger

Yeah and it is tracking pace because nu watch shows the laptimes when finishing the workout. But is only shows the laptimes of the dorst coupleof Laps and says that the rest of the lap info can be found in the app...but apparently its not...

LMK165
Keeping Pace

Earlier comment, regarding the watch directing you to see the rest of the lap times in the app, is so true.  The information cannot be found in the app.  For this reason, Fitbit should consider escalating this "feature suggestion" to a "fix request."

When the swim workout ends, the swim summary on the watch displays the first few laps with times (not calories) followed right after by a message to go to the mobile app to see more laps (i.e., implies additional laps with times).  Yet the lap split times from the watch are no where to be found in the mobile app.   Displaying just the average overall swim pace within the exercise tile of the mobile app is not sufficient for any product that claims to track swimming.

JamesOD
Jogger

I agree, pace is needed to be uploaded to the phone as well as many other changes to make the swim app itself. Such as an option to turn on heart rate, auto pause for those of us who need to stop every few laps, minimum cue of 1 lap (not 2) so I can record 50 m sprint times.

K.a.t.e
Jogger

I want to echo the comment made by LMK165 regarding the watch directing you to see the rest of the lap times in the app, is so true.  The information cannot be found in the app.  For this reason, Fitbit should consider escalating this "feature suggestion" to a "fix request."

The stats are obviously already being collated by the watch, the info just needs to be passed onto the app and made available for reference upon completion of a swim session

JamesOD
Jogger

Getting Fitbit to fix anything is next to impossible. There are many defects in the Ionic and the Android app that have been reported to support and then ignored.

gando33
Jogger

This is a fix request.

Also because the watch says something like "see other laps on the phone".

Anyway, quality is not for any company.

anitapk
First Steps

Totally agree with the above comments.  I am so dissatisfied with the inability to assess my work-out post swim.  It is very misleading when the watch states to "refer to mobile app to see remaining laps", when in effect there is no information there.  I really have  no need to see how many calories I've burned per lap.  It is also not very useful to see my average pace per workout when my warm-up and cool-down are taken into account.  What I really want to analyze is my splits during the active part of my workout.  Calling customer service was of no help either.  After doing a lot of research I was excited to purchase the ionic and start analyzing my swim workouts more closely, now I am just really dissappointed that I didn't choose one the of competitors. 

Bexski
First Steps

I used my brand new Fitbit Versa in the pool this evening for the very first time. I was initially impressed with the information that was being displayed on my Versa during my swim. When I ended the swim I was intrigued by the message "refer to mobile app to see remaining laps". However I am very disappointed to find that this in fact is very misleading and extremely frustrating as on the app there is no reference to split times. I am experiencing the same concerns raised as many other Fibit users.

Please Fitbit look into transferring the data that gets recorded by Versa onto the app - we know this information exists. As you can see from all the other posts this is a recurring desire for numerous customers - please don't let us down. 

mlarri1234
First Steps

I guess I should have done my homework better before purchasing the ionic.  I never would have thought any smart sports watch would not provide time data.  Who cares about calories lap.  Calories should be summary data.  Very disappointed with this product.  Should have gone with Garmin or Apple.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Absolutely agree with all the above comments. Having calories per distance is a useless metric, especially when compared to split times per distance. 

This is especially so when the watch is recording the data, it just has to be transferred over to the app. I don't care whether I did 19, 22 or 25 calories/100m, it's not a tangible metric that I can use to assess or improve my performance. As mentioned in another comment, the watch says "refer to mobile app to see remaining laps", but it obviously doesn't sync that data over...

I've got no idea why this has not been sorted already, surely must be an easy fix...so disappointing....

gando33
Jogger

I found the solution. Pretty simple. Garmin.

mlarri1234
First Steps

Does anyone know of any app that the Ionic can successfully export the data.  I have tried TrainingPeaks and Strava, neither works.  The whole point of a smart watch is to get to useful data.  I am becoming more and more disillusioned with Fitbit.  This will most likely be the last time I buy a Fitbit.  The Inoic has been a catastrophic failure.

manojmka
First Steps

I cannot see the details of time taken on each lap in swimming on mobile or dashboard. Fitbit versa shows time taken for each 100 meters on device immediately after excersice but then it is nowhere seen on phone app or dashboard later. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @manojmka! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

BradMcCormick
Runner

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but some of us have been asking for this for more than 12 months. Moderators say thanks for the suggestion and nothing ever happens. I have even tried emailing directly and get the same inappropriate responses. I wish there was a way to warn future buyers of this fault and total lack of support for customers that comes from Fitbit.

I can't wait to change brands and be a lot happier - this mob are soul destroying with there pathetic customer service. This post will probably be deleted

CSB17
First Steps

Yes, lap times would be so much better. The calories are meaningless! 

paddyirishman
Base Runner

Please add the times for the swimming splits.

Fitbit looks for suggestions. And they say it not planned..

People want this feature. Other devices have it. Fitbit was a front runner in the fit watches.

So why cant fitbit keep up with providing the data

Quirt
Jogger

I too would like swimming splits!  Swimming is the main reason I bought the ionic. It was the only waterproof smart watch at the time.   (that and it was 200 less than the iWatch ) Now there are are several waterpoof smart watches.         It would be a great help to be able to review how I perform over the course of a mile.        To be honest, when this watch breaks or I just get tired of not having better swim logging, I'm going over to the apple watch.    It *DOES* do swim  lap splits as a post workout report.  I only mention that to illustrate how strongly I feel the about the feature.       Fitbit is still the only product that does sleep monitoring, however.   Something us apnea patients desire.    

gando33
Jogger

"Great suggestion..." YojanaFitBit, are you serious? No swimming splits in the log is like writing with the invisible ink. Disappointing.

Cambo3
First Steps

I swam for the first time with my Ionic.  Worked great.  When I finished the swim I could see the first 10 laps and their split times.  I was excited to sync to the app and see the remainder of the splits.  Once I synced I only got calories per lap and not times now I have no idea what my split times were.  This really needs to be added as it is clearly calculating the splits.  You can see the split times for running activities so why not swimming.  Pretty poor really for a fitness tracking watch - particularly when it appears the functionality is there.

JamesOD
Jogger

Be thankful you have the Ionic and not a Versa 2. The upgrade to the Versa 2 removed all the swim tracking except elapsed time! No lap times at all. After upload to the phone there is an attempt to calculate number of laps but it is wildly inaccurate (in my case it guesses 24 -29 laps for a 20 lap swim).

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @danaem and @Danielle2212, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about having the option to see swim pace instead of calories burned after on the Fitbit Dashboard! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.