Real Integration of Fitbit with Mapmyrun

The current Fitbit integration with MapMyRun is really not practical for what most users of mapmyrun actually use. MapMyRun is primarily used as a place to track the actual runs a person runs and the other features of MapMyRun and MyFitnessPal all work off this basic functionality. The current integration does NOT do this.

What everyone else who claims to have an integration with MapMyRun does is this.

Export from Fitbit to MapMyRun the actual run event which includes the following:

1. Distance

2. Steps

3. Duration

4. Average Pace

5. Calories

6. Time

7. GPS mapping information

8. Splits, if possible

9. Heartrate

The current tracker sends over general daily information, which it is very interesting, it really is not that relevant as it relates to the use of MapMyRun. You really should remove any advertising of an integration with MapMyRun until you actually import the event. Your current integration with MapMyRun is basically useless, for all practical purposes.

Moderator edit: Labels

40 Comments
michelleelaine
First Steps

As i run using the MapMyRun app, I want to be able to see the current heart rate number and a graph of my heartrate along with current data such as pace, distance, etc. in real time.  Not just a download transfer after the run. 

dannydd
Jogger

So I did something I didn’t think I would ever do. I finally caved and bought an Apple Watch and retired my Fitbit watch for good. I got tired of waiting around for this company to get with the program. I went on my first run without Fitbit today and the experience was magical. I don’t know why I waited so long. I was able to use the app I wanted (i.e. MapMyRun) and didn’t have the frustrations I’ve experienced with the Fitbit. This company does not care about their customers, never will. I encourage all to move on as well. Trust me,  it will be worth it.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Im not sure if MMR has shown any interest in having this feature.

One draw back is that Fitbit does not send live data to the server,  MMR would need a live connection to Fitbit during the run. 

Splymp
Jogger

I am new to Fitbit. I got it to tack my runs and to integrate with Map my Run. While several things do intgrate, I had assumed that my heart rate would be integrated as well. I was disappointed when I saw that it did not. Why not? It seems logical and easy to set up?

Llguidrysfa
First Steps

I see this has been requested for literally years and has gone nowhere as far as being resolved, which likely means it never will be. Very disappointing for the account of money paid for the device.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Llguidrysfa you really can't blame Fitbit for a decision made by Mapmyrun, can we? 

geoff_t
Stepping Up

I find it absolutely bizarre that Strava exclusive use of fitbit data.  Sort it out fitbit!!!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hello @geoff_t Strava has paired up with Fitbit and asked Fitbit to be responsible for control of the API. 

Map My Run/Walk/Ride/Exercise has decided to take ownership of the API. There is nothing Fitbit can do, it is the decision Map My Run has made. 

RemyPR
Recovery Runner
I got a Garmin, threw my fitbit away, and deleted all UA Map My products.  Much happier now.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@RemyPR I'm glad you have one of the phones Garmin supports, did you check their list, or just get lucky. 

I'm wondering if you got rid of mmr products with Garmin, why where you using them with Fitbit. They have chosen to link up with Garmin 

RemyPR
Recovery Runner
I stopped using MMR when I first got my Fitbit Ionic because they were not compatible.

I have an iPhone, which works fine with Garmin. The computer compatibility with Garmin is also good.

When I got the Garmin I chose not to go back to using MMR and really all UA products because in the reviewing I did, they seemed as much a part of this problem as Fitbit.

As far as I could tell Fitbit and UA could not agree on how to integrate the API, or Fitbit did not want to pay for professional API integration.

Garmin is compatible with just about any API – I have tried many and so far have not found one that is not compatible with Garmin.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@RemyPR you seem to misunderstand how am API works. 

Fitbit has setup their API and let's 3 party sites have access to your data through the API For it responsibility is through. 

The third party site, Mapmyrun/walk/ride/etc is responsible for setting up their link to Fitbit. They also get to decide what they want to retrieve and/or send to Fitbbit. Fitbit has nothing to do with this decision and no agrement needed by Fitbit. It is all up yup what Mapmyrun wants. 

RemyPR
Recovery Runner
https://developer.underarmour.com/docs/

I mostly agree, which is why I canceled my MMR accounts and deleted the apps; however there is a professional side to the API where Fitbit can form a partnership with UA for complete integration (look at the link above), much in the manner Fitbit has done with Strava.  Fitbit and UA could resolve this issue, they both just choose not to (mostly Fitbit).  I was hoping that Google would fix this when they purchased Fitbit, but that is not the case. I looked into writing my own software to do the integrations, similar to IFTT app, but as you can see even IFTT quit working after a while, so this is not an easy task.

Far easier to just go with a more professional company such as Garmin for fitness tracking device.

Fitbit makes nice trackers, but they just don’t have any interest in compatibility. Garmin, Suunto, Polar, Samsung, Apple, and others have all seemed to figure this out.

I was able to export 2 years of Fitbit data and import into the Garmin Connect app (had to export each individual workout, the date cluster bulk transfer feature does not work for GPS data).

Then I transferred almost 10 years of data from MMR into Garmin Connect.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Your link doesn't point to any single doc. If MMR wants more access, they like Strava has, can approach Fitbit. It's not a big deal, but it will require MMR to take the first step. 

Status changed to: Third-Party App
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit. We’d encourage you to make this suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly. Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.