Recovery HR for HR tracker's displayed on graphs

As 1 and 2 minute recover HR are a major indicator of heart health and mortality. It would be great to see this reading available on the dashboard. The data is there, either take the reading 1 or 2 minutes after a workout is indicated as ended, or allow the user to picka spot on the graph and show the HR readings 1 minuter later.

The MS band has a very good implementation of this.

Moderator edit: Added labels and updated title for clarity

65 Comments
lseabra
First Steps

I always log my heart rate when I finish working out, and 1, 2 and 3 minutes after finishing.

This is very useful and allows me to:

- check how hard the workout was, and also

- check if I'm getting in better shape

The process is simple, and there could be an app to do it: you just need to record the heart rate when you finish working out, and then record the heart rate again 1, 2 and 3 minutes afterwards.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful to analice the progress in a different way, thanks for sharing this suggestion and a possible option on how to do it @lseabra! We look forward to hearing what other community members think about being able to log their heart rate recovery after their work outs! 😉

ColinWalking
Jogger

Great idea! you can also do it as a comparison to the users "normal" heart rate. The gadget + Fitbit's heart rate ranges could set a baseline for normal. For serial activity people you may have to exclude preceding activities - eg if a morning workout includes run, weights, spin in that order, the only useful recovery data would be from the spin...

Emasullivan
Recovery Runner

This is a great idea! And as you said would be a great way to see improvement in fitness and recovery!

Like a 5 min post work out 'cool down' track or something after exercise when resting

lseabra
First Steps

Hi Alexandra, Colin and Ema,

Thank you for the feedback!

Do you usually do this as well, ie, register your heart rate 0, 1, 2 and 3 minutes after working out?

Emasullivan
Recovery Runner

I don't do it at any set interval but I do check in every now and then afterwards to see if I'm back to a normal HR

WavyDavey
10K Racer

I do a quick one before the workout also, to give a baseline. Then after the workout, I let it run until my heart rate goes back to baseline. The quicker that recovery is, the more fit I'm becoming.

Excellent idea!

johnniegolds
Jogger

I agree.  This is a great idea.  Please implement it!  Thanks.

K-tony
First Steps

Heart rate recovery measurement would be a useful feature with evidence in the medical literature to support its value. 

I so totally agree!    

ahefner33
Base Runner

I've been pushing this since 2015. My only issue is that the watch does Not keep up with your actual heart rate as fast as a chest strap.

I would end workouts and have timer set where the watch would still be high but chest strap or even a spo2 sensor could be 30-50 beats ĺower.

Any of you that still use chest straps Digifits app hass this feature

Hy55
Jogger

It’s a bit hard to understand how, 5 long years after the submission of this suggestion, it remains unimplemented by Fitbit.  The 2 minute recovery rate is one if the most important fitness measures there is.  It is the ONLY fitness feature if the Apple Watch that is better than Fitbit.  Apple Watch has virtues (ie. better and more durable hardware, better “smart watch” features), but when it comes to fitness tracking, Fitbit has the advantage, except for the 2-minute recovery rate.  It ought to be a fairly simple software change given that the data is already there!

K-tony
First Steps

What is going on with Fitbit? This request was made 3 years ago in this thread (and there may be other similar requests). The moderator said it was "under consideration" 3 years ago. How long does it take to consider something at Fitbit headquarters? If it's not feasible then just say so.

eclecticos
Recovery Runner

I'd also like to elevate the priority of this request.  I'm sure many of us on this thread would be happy to give more detailed UI design ideas or feedback, once the Fitbit team is ready to engage.

My own story: I'm about to have my first physical in 5 years, with a new doctor.  She will notice that my resting heart rate is 48-52 and get the idea that I am exceptionally fit.  But actually I just have bradycardia (abnormally low heart rate) like my dad, who has had some heart problems -- atrial fibrillation and multiple heart attacks.  I would like to be able to show my doctor a second measure of cardio fitness, recovery heart rate (RHR), so that she has a better picture of my situation.  I'd also like to monitor my own RHR and get it down through regular exercise.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.