Remove location access pop up on the iOS Fitbit app

Please remove the annoying, repetitive question when I turn on my Fitbit::Allow Location Access. I am not interested in this feature and feel I am being treated as a child who doesn’t know what is good for them! Show me some RESPECT please, Fitbit. I have disabled location in my iPhone and in the Fitbit app and yet the question repeats, repeats, re

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

64 Comments
PaulCanberra
Jogger

I agree.  I didn’t ask for this. I should be in charge of what I want not you. 

this is disrespect of customers privacy and wants

Sorry.  This is a deal breaker. 

Margaret95
First Steps

If this feature isn’t added, I will never purchase another fitbit product. Fitbit doesn’t need my location for the features I use. It is obnoxious how often I am asked for my location and that the app doesn’t accept no for an answer 

GDD.CH
First Steps

Let me choose, then stop bothering me every single time I go in the app. 

Unacceptable.

Very annoying. 

Been with FitBit probably close to 10 years. 

This is annoying enough for me to move on to another product. 

DDM1980
First Steps

Make it stop ASAP. Are you so desperate for the data??

WaytG
First Steps

I have used Fitbit wearables for years and have paid for an annual premium subscription. I did not agree when making these purchases to hand over detailed records about my whereabouts every minute of every day to Google, which has a bad reputation for surreptitious collection and unauthorized commercial use of surveillance data on its users behavior. The company has been fined billions of dollars for its misdeeds in these regards. They have forfeit our trust, and by harassing its subscribers to accede to 24/7 surveillance, Fitbit is destroying a good reputation it built over many years. Top executives at the company should overrule the shortsighted decision to try to bludgeon users into accepting always-on location tracking. A large number of us will not stand for it.

Browneyedandi
First Steps

I completely agree with all of this!!

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: all-caps

Margaret95
First Steps
The Fitbit mobile app should allow a permanent opt-out for features that rely on having access to the phone’s location services. Currently one must opt out nearly every time one opens the app which is invasive and annoying.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Margaret95, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to allow a permanent opt-out for features that rely on having access to the phone’s location services. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

thart4352
Stepping Up
Turn off the pop-up to enable location access and bluetooth.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @thart4352, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about turning off the pop-up to enable location access. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

You might also interested in this other suggestion: Ability to disable Bluetooth in restricted areas.

roushjk
Recovery Runner
I do not want location tracked during exercise. About one month into owning my new Charge 5, maps of my walks suddenly began occurring in the iPhone app (Location Services on iPhone set to never, "Walk" recognition set to GPS off, and it has been impossible to turn off. Please include an option to turn it off permanently
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @roushjk, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to turn off the location prompts on the iOS Fitbit app with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Your feedback is truly appreciated and please click on the thumbs-up to show your support, we'll keep tracking this request over time.

LadyBugQRS
First Steps
Location is not needed to use several features and right now fitbit cannot be used unless location is on. This presents problems for other apps where someone might not like location to be tracked, let alone on fitbit when it is not needed. Please allow to toggle on and off only if need it for mapping a run. Otherwise, it should not be required.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LadyBugQRS, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about disable location access on the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.