Revert From Google Pay To Fitbit Pay

Allow users to revert back to Fitbit Pay from Google Pay. I switched to Google Pay when it was available. Not realizing my bank doesn't allow tap to pay from a watch through Google Pay. It was working fine on Fitbit Pay.
32 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mix123, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about reverting from Google Pay to Fitbit Pay. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

alakai14
Recovery Runner

I would also like to request support for the ability to revert to Fitbit Pay. I, too, got my update today, allowing me to switch to Google Wallet. In doing so, learned that I cannot add my primary card now using Google Wallet, even though it was supported via Fitbit Pay, and I had been using it up to this point. I called my bank, and they stated they only support Google PAY and Fitbit Pay. I can use my card on my phone through Google Wallet, but cannot use it through my smartwatch that way. Very frustrating as I was very excited to get the consistency of using Google Wallet across the board.

This is just another frustration caused by the fragmented Google ecosystem.

Please give us the option to go back!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

☠️BUG: Google Wallet in fitbit sees 4 of my 6 cards in Google wallet, and I can't add the one that I want to use. 

alakai14
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner Unfortunately, this is not a bug. MANY banks are not supported by Google WALLET and will only work with Google PAY. I have the same problem with my Amex, I can use it for tap to pay on my PHONE, but cannot add it to my WATCH to use for payments. We have to hope for future support.

etabeta1234
Recovery Runner

this thing about that we are unable to revert from wallet to fitbit pay is very annoying.

@Fitbit really we have to suggest a basilar option ? 

olajezierska94
First Steps

I have the same problem here. I changed from Fitbit Pay to Google Wallet. I have two cards and one of them isn't supported in Google Wallet at all, and I realized it after the change. The second card I have added to Google Wallet a long time ago and I can use it on my phone, but it's not possible to use it on the watch (why???). Please make it possible to revert back to Fitbit Pay. It's annoying that I could use both of my cards and now this option on my Sense 2 is not working at all.

Marieke1979
First Steps

I have the same problem. I buy yesterday my Fitbit and the ABN bank is not working with Google pay and is working with Fitbit pay. I contact ABN but is up to fitbit. I hope I can get fitbit pay on the versa 4

bebehamster
First Steps

Same thing here, two cards from the same bank, both available in wallet, debit is also visible on the qatch but not the credit one! That's my primary card, as it has cashback, and the main reason to buy the watch in the first place. And no, I'm not raising yet another ticket to support. Just let users revert to a functionality that worked. 

PS I didn't even want to switch to Google wallet, it was an unfortunate misclick in the app. There should have been at least some sort of notification/ confirmation prompt! And if fitbit knew this thing is not working well yet, there should have been a warning. 

KanchanS
First Steps

I now have the same problem. It’s quite astonishing that there is no option to revert back. If I knew this before I would not have bought it. 😕

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Same problem, turns out Google Wallet is banned by 99% banks. Primary use for my watch was to pay with. Fitbit had the best paying app of all brands - one button push, stays unlocked if it detects you keep wearing it after unlocking. Nobody did this better. I tried Samsung, Garmin, Apple - every competitor out there was not even close. And now this is ruined! I'll be returning my watch if I can't pay with it.

So far I tried - factory reset watch - somehow Fitbit app on my phone still remembered the setting for Google Wallet. I have now wiped data and cleared cache for the app. Still stuck on Google Wallet. Next will try factory reset watch and uninstall app in same time.

Absolute disgrace that we can not roll back to Fitbit Pay that was so good.

mix123
Recovery Runner
I think you need to create a new fitbit account
Zohan1073
First Steps

What a disgrace this is. I cannot add my card to google wallet and no longer have the option to use fitbit pay which was working seamlessly. Another strike against the sense 2. This is getting ridiculous. 

FelipeOri
First Steps

Help i want  to get  back to fitbit pay google is not working with my bank 

EllaDixieWillow
First Steps

Not impressed that I'm unable to revert back to Fitbit pay from Google wallet. Unfortunately now I've lost the use of tap to pay with my watch. This needs addressing ASAP!

OrangeTheory
Jogger

I’ve had the same problem, set up google pay and later find out my iPhone is not compatible to the versa 4 for contactless payments with google pay. I can make payments with my phone but not with my watch. Google pay support confirmed it needs to be an android phone to support

NFC, instructions attached below. I need to go back to Fitbit pay as I can use my cards to pay. Did also try reset watch to factory settings and delete the Fitbit app and add it back cut google wallet still appears. Was told if my watch didn’t revert back to Fitbit pay to contact Fitbit. Very frustrating should be an easy button to change from google pay to Fitbit pay. Please fix this asap.

Step 1: Check your contactless payment set up

1. Set up a contactless payment method.
  2. NFC turned on.
    1. Open SettingsOrangeTheory_0-1672679631804.png

2. In the “Search settings” bar, type “NFC.”
    3. Make sure NFC is turned on. If your phone doesn’t have NFC, it can’t make contactless payments.
  3. Google Pay set as your default payment app.
    1. ​Under “NFC,” tap Contactless payments OrangeTheory_1-1672679631759.png

Payment default.
    2. Make sure "Google Pay" is selected.
  4. A screen lock set up.
  5. Once you’ve checked and updated your contactless payment set up, try the payment again.

mattjrsmith
Jogger

Just like to echo a lot of what people are saying. I too switched to Google Wallet unaware that its not currently supported on iOS so now have pretty much lost the ability to use the pay with watch feature on my £200+ watch. Great.

FLGirl2021
Jogger

I too want to get on this bandwagon although my issue is that I bought a Versa 4 yesterday and was under the impression through the advertising materials that Google Wallet would be available for this "smart" watch. After trying to set it up, I chatted with Fitbit CS and found out that the inability to set it up on Versa 4 is a known issue and no immediate fix is in the works. What kind of false advertising is that??? I toyed with returning the watch but have decided to give Fitbit more of a chance. In the meantime, it would make up for the false advertising to allow people to choose Fitbit Pay as an option to Google Wallet, for now, until Fitbit/Google gets their act together on this issue. I don't even know if my cards will work with Fitbit Pay (as I've never used it before) but I'd certainly like the option to try.Screenshot_20230202-175428.png

Suzybee87
Jogger

I also have this issue.
I logged into the Dashboard on the website to see if I could remove the permissions but the Google Pay/Wallet app doesn't seem to require permissions through Fitbit which is a bit weird. 
In the device settings you can remove all card data from Fitbit Pay but there is no option to remove Google Wallet. 

Please sort this out Fitbit. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I recently returned my Fitbit Sense 2 because of this google wallet mess. I wanted to continue using fitbit but if it is impossible to pay using the watch, it’s time to switch.

Sam299188
Jogger

I need an option to switch back to Fitbit pay as well! 

Is this a bug or supposed to not move back to Fitbit pay?

Sam299188
Jogger

1.png

I've got response from Fitbit support. Fitbit pay is no longer supported, so I think they won't make this happened. 

SplitsHar
First Steps

Solution (works with charge 4 not about other watches)

I have discovered a solution to revert from google wallet back to Fitbit pay, (Bye the way I get it google you bought go it but honestly me and many others have changed/thought of changing to other watches like Apple and Garmin) I had just gotten a charge 4 from my dad because Apple Pay wasn’t supported with my card so Fitbit pay, then i was asked to download an update I did so and then I was asked to download an update and thought nothing of it, and got an option to switch to google wallet so I was like ok this is basicley the same so I switched and I didn’t realise my card was only on google pay so I started fidgeting with it so here’s how to do it and this was on charge 4 I don’t know if it will work on other watches… First thing turn on your watch and open settings, then scroll down to about and click clear user data say yes/agree to everything, then open the mobile app and go to the today tab tap on the watch scroll down and disconnect the watch, then open your phones Bluetooth settings and click and hold on your watch then click forget device, after all this is done in the Fitbit app log out of your account and make a new one set up Fitbit as if it was new and link it. By the way you will loose all account data like steps sleep etc hope it works!😀

Suzybee87
Jogger

Thanks for the tip! I might give it a try - though I don’t fancy losing all
of my data and having to make a new account because I have years of data on
mine. Something for me to consider. Thanks so much for taking the time to
post all those instructions. 😊

EDIT:

I tried this without the last step of creating a new Fitbit account and it worked! I can now use google pay. I just needed to do a factory reset on the Fitbit, log out of the app and forget the device in my Bluetooth settings. Thanks so much!

Huffie23
First Steps

This is a huge hassle. First, Fitbit pay went down - and customer support told me to switch to Google. Now I can't access any form of payment because my Versa is not compatible with Google pay. Of course Fitbit new this - this a nakedly greedy way to force customers to buy new hardware. Why not just be honest and give us the option instead of being deceitful? Great way to start the Google ownership - NOT. I will be looking to switch to Garmin or Apple now. Very, very unhappy soon-to-be-former customer.

kkris87
Recovery Runner

I had that issue with Charge 4. Notification in iOS Google wallet is available but something went wrong. 
I struggled but I was able to revert to Fitbit Pay, though it doesn’t work as good as it was. I don’t remember fully the path but here it goes. 
And I haven’t moved my Fitbit account to Google account which might be relevant but doesn’t have to. 

First I backed up the device (synced data).

I cleared the device, disconnect Bluetooth, removed the device from my current Fitbit account in the app etc.

I created a new Google account (because you can’t create new Fitbit account anymore). Linked the device to that account. Fitbit pay shown up instead of Google Wallet. And I was able to add a card again.

Then I did the same steps with removing device and logged in to my Fitbit account and Fitbit Pay was available there again. 
Be very careful here - the notification in the app is kind of permanent and it’s easy to hit it.

When I first moved to Google Wallet I was warned and had to confirm a few times to do that. But now, it moves me to Google wallet whenever I hit the link notification bar “find out more”. And it’s close to the plus button to add cards to Fitbit Pay

I remember was also looking into my primary Google account privacy details and I think I removed device in there as well or any connections there were to my Fitbit device.

Anyway that got me back to Fitbit Pay. 
But I can’t add some of my cards anymore. There are some internal wallet errors either with adding the card or validating the card e.g I can’t obtain SMS code. It might be that when moving to Google wallet, cards were not removed from Fitbit pay correctly. One I was able to add but like for Revolut, I had to create a new virtual card because I couldn’t add the one I have and used before with Fitbit Pay. So Fitbit wallet either sees those cards in the Fitbit pay service and can’t re-add them (but the error message is not specific about that while sometimes is) or there is some other error.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.