Rowing and conversion to equivalent "steps"

Hi Development Team and fellow trackers:

My little band of local competitors all compete on "steps" per day/week.

As daylight hours reduce over winter .. I come home and ... "row" on static Concept 2.

1. I agree with other commentators that "rowing machine & rowing should be an exercise, and ...

2. Is it possible to develop an algorithm that converts such an activity into equivalent "steps" ?

Thanks

Moderator edit: Labels

10 Comments
ploog4
First Steps

please consider converting activities into steps. i am confident my 45 minute crossfit workout took me over 10,000 steps today, but disappointed to see that i have not reached my goal.

Nikhil.pai
Jogger

I second this albiet with a slight modification - it should not convert the activities into steps but into overall 'Fit Points' This is exactly what Misfit has done. All activity be it steps, cardio, spinning, cycling etc. can be converted into 'Fit Points' depending on intensity, duration etc. This would also make all challenges far more meaningful since I end up losing challenges whenever I go cycling or spinning because I don't get steps while I am exerting far more than I would if I was just hitting 10,000 steps. 

Of course, there are limitations to this because not all Fitbit trackers can track intensity of exercise or all types of exercise accurately due to lack of HR monitors or GPS etc but I am sure alogorithms can be built to rationalise this. 

cxb0113
Stepping Up

If you did 10,000 in 45 mins that would be over 6.5 mph, ~9 mins/mile, do you think you were doing that?

ploog4
First Steps

No, I am not suggesting that I did 10,000 steps in 45 minutes.  I am saying that my day's total was 8,000+ and had my workout been counted as steps, I would have for sure reached by 10,000 step goal.

AGE3RD
Jogger

This is a great idea and should be done as an option that you can select to have your activity converted to steps. For example by wife will usually gets twenty thousand steps a today is disappointed when she's under ten and we've gone for thirty mile bike ride that is equal to lots of steps 

eye95
Base Runner

I just biked 2.5 hours today, at high intensity. By my calculation, at one cycle per second, two "step-equivalents" per second, times 60 times 60 times 2.5, that's 18,000 "step-equivalents". To me, "step-equivalents" are every bit as important as steps. We should have the option of measuring steps or steps plus "step-equivalents" towards a daily goal.

As far as I am concerned, I exceeded my goal of 10,000 steps today. My Fitbit says that I am 2300 short. THHHBBBTTT!!!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
Kellyld77
Base Runner

Could you include rowing as one of your exercise options. I used my ionic with gps on for bike this morning whilst rowing, this claimed I did 4K because it doesn’t log the distance using the gps but the actions of cycling. When this was synced to strava it showed as 5.6k because they use the gps data they get from you. Fitbit told me to use a workout so I don’t lose credit but it’s not the credit I want but the distance which is important in rowing and the splits (which are inaccurate due to inaccurate distance). Could you add rowing where it measures the distance using the gps data rather than me having to log it as bike or run then syncing with strava and using that information. 

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kellyld77, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.