See more real time swim stats on Charge 3 and set laps as goal

It would be really nice to be able to see the number of laps I have completed during my swims in real time as well as being able to set a goal for number of laps completed (a major reason I bought was because I assumed this was possible and it is making me reconsider the device, pools have clocks on the wall, it isn't hard for me to keep track of time while swimming)

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

86 Comments
OmuGuy
Recovery Runner

LeeCC Jogger

wrote:

workout option rather than swimming option it forces it to track heart rate

Moderator edit: Topic for clarification

Apparently, the HR monitor does not work in the water owing to refraction.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

We need to see lenghts (distance) during the swim. That is really basic. Returning my device unless I get exact confirmation today that this will be implemented in near future. 😞

sandykwalsh
Recovery Runner

I agree with Jozes Jogger 😞   

PopOf2
First Steps

I "upgraded" from a perfectly good Charge 2 to the Special Edition Charge 3 for the swimming feature, and for the wireless payment feature.

The swimming feature is a total illusion.  It does nothing that my very old tech MOOV didn't already do.  I've now asked Santa for a Swimmo for Christmas.  

As for the wireless payment feature, it is so cumbersome that I already disengaged it.

In other words, I paid for new features that either don't exist or don't work, and also got an interface that is clunkier than on my old, effortless to use, Charge 2.

CazT
First Steps

I 100% agree with this. My absolute priority in a swim tracker would be the ability to see how many lengths I have done during the swim. I am a distance swimmer and I upgraded to this fitbit in order to be able to stop counting myself! I am so disappointed in this!

Kevin_Tbay
Jogger

Having the fitbit show real-time swim distance/lap count ACTUALLY ON THE DEVICE is a very important feature.  I will probably be returning my charge3 since this was the main feature I was after (unless the development guarantees a date to update the app to show swim length/laps). I'm sure most swimmers out there will agree.

slayman
Jogger

The primary reason I bought this is to track laps in the pool. I guess  I should have done my research here. What's the point, Fitbit, of a swim tracker without a lap counter? 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be helpful for the charge 3 to display the number of lengths swam during a swimming session rather than time tracked. Its beneficial to those measuring exercise by number of lengths or distance of swim.

it shows on the app after the data has been refreshed but it would be helpful to have this option on the charge 3 display 

Bonasa
Recovery Runner

To be able to see the number of laps or alternatively meters while swiming on Charge 3 would be very good. In fact that would be more useful that seeing the time since starting the swim excercise (currently the only thing to see: that means nothing, I could be only sitting by the pool). Ionic show the laps, time, distance. Why not Charge 3? I got Charge 3 as a sort of back up device for my Ionic recently and I automatically assumed it would show the laps. It was quite a disappointment (actually a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT) to find out that that is not the case.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KSfb92 and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

SharonR60
Jogger

I really need to log laps/distance please. I'm doing this for my health and to lose weight and I have to stop after each length to get my breath back so the swimming feature doesn't work. Can this be implemented soon?

OmuGuy
Recovery Runner

@SharonR60
Great to hear that you are in the pool. About ten years ago, I started out managing just 8 laps in an hour and then spent the next five days in a fatigue shadow. Eventually, I could swim those 200 m nonstop, then 300, 400, 500... I hope the same becomes true for you.
From my experience so far, about a dozen swims, I don't think the Charge 3 will ever be an adequate swim tracker. Whether it auto recognizes or is set for swimming, it does not do well with continuous swimming. It underestimates the number of lengths. Someone suggested that it does not have enough sensors (accelerometers) to properly detect pushes off the wall. I picked up a used Moov Now from an Internet auction and have been impressed with its swim data. The counts match my Suunto sports watch and it provides even more useful items, such as time for turning. Rest is also clearly indicated. I'm now looking for a used Moov HR.

The Charge 3 is a bit of a lame duck when it comes to sport, rather than general activity, tracking. I find it handy for home bouts of activity. Set up stairclimbing as an exercise and it counts 100 cals as a lap. It takes me about ten minutes of going up and down the stairs at home to reach 100 cals. The one thing I think it does well is sleep tracking.
Even for overall daily exercise tracking, the Charge 3 is not fit for purpose. I rode a scooter to CostCo yesterday and it logged the ride as two cycling sessions. It also added more than 200 floors (total count 252) to my stairclimbing record for the day. Drivers have also been complaining about it adding steps during driving.

DimitarM
Jogger

I am swimming regularly and had bigger hopes for Charge 3's swimming stats. Hoping Fitbit to improve them soon. I wish there would be realtime lengths, fastest 50m/100m, SWOLF, etc.

SydneyKiwi
First Steps

The lap count is the most important information when swimming laps. Works well on the Ionic. My wife would be very happy if this feature is added to Charge 3. Thanks

JuRobbo
First Steps

So I bought the charge 3 as I have started swimming 5-6 days a week and I like to set myself goals. I was very surprised to see that you don’t show lengths real time as you’re swimming. If I wanted a timer I would look at the timer on the wall at the pool. Must say I’m very disappointed it also doesn’t track heart rate whilst swimming so I’ve paid £150 for a timer very disappointing. 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @JuRobbo! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! 

JuRobbo
First Steps

How do I add a vote ? And will anything be done about it ? If not how do I return it when purchased in December it doesn’t do what was advertised so I would like to swap to either another Fitbit or another brand

oggy7
First Steps

Agree strongly.

misiaxcore
Base Runner

It is absolutely ridiculous that the only thing I can see on my Charge 3 watch is a timer while swimming. Why can't I see my lap count, heart rate, etc. like for other exercises? Why do I have wait and go "see mobile exercise tile for lengths and calorie data" on my phone/pc when I can see them for other exercises right then and there on my wrist??

I only upgraded from a Charge 2 so that I could finally use a FitBit device for my primary sport. As a competitive swimmer, the Charge 3 is a complete waste of my time and money. 

misiaxcore
Base Runner

ETA: The "See mobie exercise tile for lengths and calorie data" is in reference to the workout summary at the end of my swim... It's sad that you can't see any data about your swim until you get to your phone/pc.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@misiaxcore Thanks for your suggestion.

I agree that it would be cool having the option to see more stats on the Fitbit Charge 3 while swimming. Let's see what other Community members think.

juanptc47
First Steps

Any news on this subject? I'm very upset about the Charge 3 missing this feature. When I read on the specs list that it supports swimming I immediately assumed  I'd be able see the lap count on the display. Just got mine a week ago after my Ionic broke (after only 15 months btw). If this feature is not added soon I'm returning my Charge 3 and switching to another brand.

bilmori
Jogger

The swim mode on the charge 3 should display a real time length counter as well as logging it to the app. Can you imagine not being able o check your steps until you log into the app.

There could be clever ways of implimenting this after each length or by a simple screen tap on demand to save battery power.

As it stands not being able to check lengths until you leave the pool is better than nothing but nothing comes a very close second !

There are some other features which should be easy to impliment like interval times between lengths, number of strokes per length.

Club swimmers would probably like more stats like SWOLF and open water swimmers would probably like a gps to track distance and time.

Bill

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @bilmori , thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Bought specifically for the swim function for my wife. Unfortunately without the lap counter this is not suitable so I will be returning.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.