See more real time swim stats on Charge 3 and set laps as goal

It would be really nice to be able to see the number of laps I have completed during my swims in real time as well as being able to set a goal for number of laps completed (a major reason I bought was because I assumed this was possible and it is making me reconsider the device, pools have clocks on the wall, it isn't hard for me to keep track of time while swimming)

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

86 Comments
Malkt
Stepping Up

A lot of swimmers use a specified amount of laps as a target of a swimming session. Could you please consider showing actual lap count in the Charge 3 while swimming? This is a must for my upcoming fitness tracker. Should vs possible through a simple firmware update 🙂

Moderator edit: Topic for clarification & label

Malkt
Stepping Up

A lot of swimmers (most) use a specified amount of laps as a target of a swimming session. But the Charge 3 only shows exercise time, not laps. Could you please make the Charge 3 show the actual lap count while swimming? This is a must for my upcoming fitness tracker. Should be possible through a simple firmware update 🙂

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

LeeCC
Jogger

Recently bought my wife a charge 3 as she swims on a regular basis. 

She used it it for the first time today and was trying to find how she can view the number of completed lengths on the device itself during the swim. I was sure this would be possible as it is such an obvious requirement. This definitely needs to be added and should have been from day one!

I have the charge 2 and the charge 3 seems to have missed the mark in several areas (swim functionality / clock faces limited choice etc). Apple will not feel threatened by this device!

Xiaohong
Jogger

I am a fitbit fan, now just bought charge 3.

In charge 3, for other sports, like run, bikes, weights, they all have "distance" as a goal to set. But for swimming there is only one option which is duration--time.

I was hoping to view how many laps I did in the pool while I am swimming, and use number of laps as a swimming goal instead of duration, it seems not there(-:. A kind of disappointed.

Will this function be supported in the near future?

Thanks,

Olivia

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

Malkt
Stepping Up

Cannot wait for the update anymore.

Took the leap into a full functioning smartwatch instead last week (Samsung Galaxy Watch). Had it in the pool for the third time yesterday, and it has been spot on counting my 25m laps every time (and has live lap-count view) 🙂

I was afraid it would feel to big, but it doesnt - it is truly a magnificent piece of tracking device 🙂 And it keeps battery for 4-5 days. 

Bye bye, Fitbit. Really had high hopes for the Charge 3.

KSfb92
Stepping Up

If you take a look at this thread (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-3/Swim-length-tracking-charge-3/td-p/3003264/page/2) you'll see this apparently a pretty common concern.

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @KSfb92Smiley Happy

KSfb92
Stepping Up

This is really a necessary feature for me

Synchro2003
Jogger

Yup I agree I had really hoped this was an option. I can use the clock on the wall to tell me how long I've been swimming for....laps I often miss count. Also the ability for goals with calories burnt etc

Sharonalondon
Base Runner

Providing the working feature first is more important

PopOf2
First Steps

I took my Charge 3 for its first swim this morning and was really, really disappointed to realize that it didn't show the current lap-count on the watch during the swim.  Lap-count for a lot of swimmers is the prime stat we need during our workouts.  Instead, my watch just showed elapsed time.  To me, that is pretty worthless since enormous clocks are pretty common at most pools.

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

OmuGuy
Recovery Runner

I use a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak when swimming and have tried the Charge 3 in parallel.
The Suunto also works with accelerometers and records stroke count and lengths.
Sometimes it misses turns or falsely records accelerations as turns but,

since a graph shows the time for each length, anomalies are easy to spot.
I even bought a cheap Chinese sports watch that doesn't count kick offs from the end wall.

It does count arm swings, however, and I was easily able to work out from the stroke count how far I'd swum.

From my experience, the Charge 3 it underestimates distance by about 20%. 
I can't understand why the Charge 3 doesn't have more sophisticated swimming data

such as stroke count and turn count. Algorithms operating on such data should enable

a more accurate estimate of the distance swum.

These days, every tech product is a work in progress.

I hope progress can be made in improving swim functions in the Charge 3 firmware.

sandykwalsh
Recovery Runner

I had the exact same dissappointment using my charge 3 for my first swim this morning.

I had a Versa which counted laps and distance very well. Since the charge 3 is supposed to be an upgrade I'm very surprised not to have the lap and distance count in real time as I swim.

If I want time I can just use the general exercise setting.

Could this be added by a software update?

Thank you

ahenley
First Steps

This would be HUGE in terms of functionality for swimmers. During longer sets, I almost always lose count and it would be fantastic if I could check my watch to see how far I have gone. 

On a related note, there seem to be a lot of very doable suggestions from swimmers throughout the feature suggestions pages. By doable, I mean those that would require small updates to the app or firmware rather than an overhaul in the technology or any redesign. I believe strongly that it would go a long way for swimmers if Fitbit took steps towards making some of those changes, which would also be beneficial to the company's bottom line because swimmers wouldn't be so quick to jump ship and go with another brand that is willing to devote resources to meeting the needs of swimmers. 

LeeCC
Jogger
Agree, and many people have bought this device believing it would be a useful fitness tracker for swimming...currently it is not and many people are returning them because of that.

Sent from my iPhone
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Same here, I just bought Charge 3 and expected this feature to be there. Literally, the only reason to wear the device in the pool for me is that I can check the distance / lengths count as I go. I am very disappointed. Please, is this feature planned to be implemented in the near future? If not, Im gonna have to return my device :((

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a must for most people. Most swimmers will return the device unless a fix is promised in the nearest update.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add this feature soon, it is a must. Many people will get frustrated and switch to other brands if this is not fixed soon.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a must, please fix it soon or stop declaring swim tracking in product communication. Big disappointment. 

gen_rob
First Steps

Agree!  Releasing the Charge 3 as a fully waterproof device made me think that it would have more functionality while swimming. I was disappointed that it only had a clock. Counting laps would be fantastic! 

It also seems like the exercise data is poor for swimming.  In the app, it said I only burned 40 calories in a 30-minute lap-swimming session... that doesn't seem right, and it's unfortunate that calories burned is the only metric available.  I'm not sure if this is feasible (the water might interfere with the sensor), but I would love to have the heart rate monitor functioning while swimming.

LeeCC
Jogger
I believe if you use the workout option rather than swimming option it forces it to track heart rate and calorie burn is more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip. This does not solve real-time distance checking on your wrist though. Still useless.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.