Set goal pace and alerts if you're too slow or fast

It would be nice if the fitbits had a the ability to track your running pace and notify you if you are going to slow or fast according your goal pace while running 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

52 Comments
leear
Runner

Pacing Alerts

From time to time we are all told we need to monitor our exercise and not over do it.

For example, after illness, getting fit from a passive lifestyle, taking up a new exercise routine, etc.

In my case, I have an illness that needs pacing and management.

Therefore, if I could set an alert or a vibration alarm, when I reach a certain level of exercise such as my target and say every 1000 steps over my target or when very active for say 1hour.

This pacing would help to sensibly gradually build up fitness over time and not over exsert the body.

cherems
Jogger
On the same note, could have a pace alert alarm for runners to maintain a desired pace during the run.
livesinlondon
First Steps

I second @cherems suggestion - in fact I think it would deserve a seperate suggestion thread... 🙂

leear
Runner

I have a poolmatelive for pacing my swimming with vibration alarms that can be set for different targets and functions, so why not on a fitbit for terafirma functions?

robvanbuilder
First Steps
Give a vibration when your average pace drops below your target pace for over 20 seconds or so.
rebeccatx
Runner

Silent alarm would be great to use for pace! We set a pace and the alarm goes off if we are not running that pace. This would be so beneficial for training.

Moderator edit: format and added labels

Cpete108
First Steps
The option to have a silent alarm for pace or a set distance would be great!
HopeLaV
Premium User
Stepping Up

I am in the military and of course physical fitness is a major requirement in my line of work. My biggest issue is making the time needed for my running score on my PT test. I always lose my pace and slow down which causes me valuable time. It would be a huge help if you all could create a Pacer. My idea for the pacer has 2 different functions. The first would be a constant vibration setting that would vibrate everytime your foot should hit the ground which would keep you on the pace you set it for. for example: If you want to run a mile in say 12 minutes you set the pacer to a mile with a 12 minute pace and it would consistently vibrate. The second idea or setting would be just a pace alarm that you can also set for the distance and pace you want but it would only vibrate if you start to go under your time goal. This would put you on notice that you need to speed up to keep the pace you need to meet your goal.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LucyAP
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@rebeccatx Thanks for this great suggestion! I think this can help you to improve your training by keeping your run or walk in to the desired pace. Let's keep on voting for this so we can make it easier for our product team to notice it. 😉 

Thanks for posting in the Feature Request board! 

Keifer43
Jogger

Having a pacer would be great deal of help for me. I am in the miltary and would love to have the watch vibrate when my pace falls bellow my disiered time for my distance.

PecksPaste
First Steps

Pace alert would be great, my wife using the garmin which has this feature 😞

Cpete108
First Steps
I can't remember how long it was after I posted this, but at some point my surge started to vibrate and give me splits and heart rate every mile!

Sent from Curtis' iPhone
StuartP
First Steps

I'd really benefit from this, came on here to add the suggestion but spotted this to vote for. Could I suggest extending it a little.

I'd like to be able to set a target pace in the app for each (gps) activity type and a tolerance range. When recording an activity of that type my tracker should vibrate and alert me if my pace is too fast / slow and outside the tolerance set.

I'd also like to be able to set a target heart rate zone and receive a vibration alert from the tracker if my heart rate moves outside the target zone

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

Yes, I'm a runner and that idea would be great.

Melissa7th
Recovery Runner

Agree!  That's what I coming to the site to suggest!  I believe the surge does this but it is way too big for my wrist. Something the size of the Charge HR 2 would be awesome if it had a pace screen...and also a better screen that didn't disappear when out in the sun. 

Fiddlefaye
First Steps

For a runner miles per minutes is key information.  The dashboard has it only when you finish the run but does not keep miles in the summary of the exercise.  Once you walk further the information is lost.

Bakinfool15
First Steps

I am a walker, but I agree that it would be nice to see my pace.  On the Nike app, it shows the pace, and when I see that I am 

slacking, I get moving.  Would really like to see this on Charge 2 

blodsbror
Recovery Runner

It would be great if you can get a pace notification/beep, when your current pace goes below/above a certain time. I use this quite a lot on my Garmin 235, to keep me motivated to keep above a certain pace, without having to look at the watch constantly.

Moderator Edit: Label & Title.

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be very useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

dewi_72
First Steps

I'd like to set my Blaze to alert me to either speed up / slow down depending on the pace I set. Currently training for a marathon and want to know I'm running 8min/miles without having to look at the screen all the time.

Any developments on this in the pipe?

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

random_username
Recovery Runner

@dewi_72 I don't know much about what's on the Blaze, but if you turn on Automatic cues every mile in Run mode, you should get a pace reading [if you use Connected GPS]. That'll tell you whether to speed up or slow down based on your goal pace.  Or you can do manual cues and check on your pace whenever you need to. Otherwise, I don't know. There's definitely an Ionic app, but hopefully they'll implement a feature like that.

Jimbo1999
First Steps

I just got an Ionic as a present and so far I'm impressed, but the lack of pace alerts seems odd. I've had a Garmin forerunner years and it allows you to set Max/min pace and vibrates when you are outside that range, and I would have thought that Fitbit would have included something similar on such a new and modern device.

opey
First Steps

Add an option to notify when you reach a certain distance or time while running or walking. i.e. vibrate every .5 miles or 5 min while running/walking.

Mikegillett
Runner

I too would like a pace alert.  If one sets a pace range, and there is maybe a single buzz repeated as necessary for going under the pace and a double buzz for going over ones pace range, I believe this would be incredibly beneficial for training.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.