Sharing GPS map to social media

Sharing a walk to social media (say Facebook) doesn't work correctly. It invites you to take a photo that then gets tagged along with the walk data (not the map feature) Which is then shared. Surely this is wrong, the map picture with the outlined route that you have walked with the detail of that walk should be shared, not a picture that may have been taken after that has no relevance to the walk data.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, labels and format.

90 Comments
Robm100
First Steps
Thanks for your reply does runkeeper work with fitbit ?
markpageiow
Jogger

I agree. Garmin do it without a problem. As soon as I log exercise that involves gps it goes straight on my Facebook - perfect. I miss all the encouragement I used to get on FB after my friends had seen where I had been. Come on Fitbit, switch the feature back on please.

SriScorpion
First Steps

It's a shame that fitbit doesn't have the GPS map sharing feature anymore. It was one of the reason I bought Fitbit charge 2. Please get the feature back.

markpageiow
Jogger

I'm on the verge of switching back if they don't respond with positive news soon. Not that IFTT app they keep going on about that doesn't post maps anyway. Come on Fitbit. Listen to your followers!

Notwdesign
First Steps

I have oftened wished I could share my progress/location with other fit friends when riding, walking, running, or hiking. This could be used as safety and motivational feature. 

Moderator edit: labels updated

Notwdesign
First Steps

Yes, totally agree!  I think it would be cool to be able to share my route as it's happening so family could keep up with my progress not just share it when I'm done.

Tom1982
First Steps

I completely agree that you should be able to share a map. All other exercise trackers do it easily and it should be a basic function. I am at a loss why this simple adaption hasn't been made already. People have been asking for this update for a while???

Drekko
Base Runner

You can share stat's, heart rate, camera photo but not the map route. Please add this 

mcyates
Recovery Runner

Just voted for this, such a basic feature thats missing. 

People do better at weight loss and with fitness when they share their activities and people reply to their posts encouraging them.

CptKev
First Steps

Why was the ability to share heart rate graphs taken away? I used to like to send heart rate graph stuff to friends. Now there is no sharing symbol on my heart rate graphs.

markpageiow
Jogger

I got an alert in my inbox for this thread. I've given fitbit the boot now. Fed up with them ignoring their customers and fobbing us off with 'security issues' as the reason why they wont reinstate the feature. I'd urge anybody to switch to Garmin or Map My Walk/Run. They are both better than fitbit and Garmin actually answer their customers' blog.

finkmj53
Recovery Runner

I vote for a direct share of my Fitbit walk, hike, and bicycle maps to social media, text, email etc. !

keith52
First Steps

Come on Fitbit get that map sharing feature working. its a basic need.

novakac
First Steps

Yes.  I bought the Charge 2 instead of the Flex SPECIFICALLY because I wanted to share GPS info with my friends.  Who cares how far I walked, I want them to see WHERE I walked.  Maps would be very much appreciated.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

We where all ways able to share an existing photo, I would simply share a screenshot of the map. 

Unfortunately the option to share a saved photo has been removed, this is a step in the backwards Direction

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everybody, I encourage you to keep adding your suggestion on the board, so that we can streamline responses and discussion. I know this is a popular request, so watch this space for updates. Thanks for your patience.

markpageiow
Jogger

I've been waiting for them to sort the maps sharing out but they never did so I bought a garmin vivosmart hr+. Built in gps and full and automatic sharing. It's way better, and a smarter band as well. I'd recommend everyone switch. Sorry Fitbit but you had your chance!

lpufford
Recovery Runner

Using my Fitbit Ionic, I would love to share the map of my run, showing the route, distance, pace and total time to social media such as Facebook, or via text or email. I see that your customers have been asking about this over the past 4 years. If Runkeeper can do it, why can't Fitbit offer this feature? I will continue to use both apps, since Runkeeper does such a great job with sharing the map on social media. Please consider adding it in future software updates for Fitbit products.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This request would be a function of tgetFitbit app and not the ionic. 

We currently have an existing request for this. 

Sharing GPS map to social media it is a shame that only 93 people are asking for this. 

reezick
Recovery Runner

Keeping this alive and voting & commenting to get this feature in here.  Runtastic is perfect...except for lacking feature.  It's been 4 years now...please make this happen!!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

WhstWive been doing for four years is to take a screen shot of the Map. Then i share the event. Then use this as a background .

Screenshot_20180605-183306_Fitbit.jpg

CarrierMobility
First Steps

When creating a "shareable" image for your workout data, currently the app provides the options to display heart rate, impact, or a photo.  I would like to request that, in the case of the photo, the statistics overlayed on the photo (such as distance, pace, etc) be made customizable and include the option of showing a small route overlay as part of the image.  This is in line with what the "map my run" app does, and it makes for a much more satisfying shareable image for social media.  Currently, there appears to be NO way to share your route on social media (only with Fitbit friends).

Thank you!

ith1nk
First Steps

Fitbit is behind the times of all its competitors by not allowing the option the share the run map. Please, please, please make this an option for social sharing. I most likely would have chosen a Garmin if I had known this before buying.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit hasn't stopped you from sharing a map @ith1nk. .I've been doing it for at least 4 years. 

lhsmith
Jogger

This had been out there since time now.   Since November of 2017.  Any updates? 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.