Show average time instead of score on main sleep view

Fitbit app used to show weekly/monthly average sleep hours per day on the sleep view but now it just shows average sleep score. Can Fitbit please go back to showing average sleep hours rather than sleep score? Or at least give users the option to choose what is displayed. Average sleep hours would be more meaningful to me.

Moderator edit: Format and updated subject for clarity

204 Comments
jypsyqueen
Recovery Runner
Oh, I am, too. Average sleep is important to me because I do not sleep
well. But QUALITY of sleep is also important. 7.5 hrs sleep not great if
the quality is poor.
YouDontNeedIt
First Steps

Please bring back Average Sleep Hours!!! All the comments on this subject make it clear that a significant number of Fitbit customers are more interested in Average Sleep Hours than in Sleep Score. If Fitbit is determined to keep Sleep Score, please at least give us an option or provide both sets of values.

MotherH
Stepping Up

Who thought it was a good idea to replace average weekly sleep with a "sleep score?" And what scientific research was it based on? It's a feature that's both arbitrary and meaningless -- one day this week, I got an "80" for 6 1/2 hours of sleep, 56 mins of REM and 53 minutes of deep. The next day, I got MORE sleep, MORE REM, and MORE deep...and my score went DOWN! This makes no sense at all. Moreover, for people who have sleep issues, being graded on their sleep can be very anxiety-provoking and counter-productive, and I thought Fitbit was trying to help us be healthier, not ruin our health. This was a half-baked idea, and there's no reason it can't be optional. Fix this, Fitbit, or people like me will go looking for another device. 

YouDontNeedIt
First Steps
Absolutely!!! I'm with YOU
EvaKarp
First Steps

Agreed! No one likes or can relate to this online number! Bring back the average or at least give us the option!!!

kristinrance
Jogger

I HATE SLEEP SCORE!!!!!

Put the hours back as they were!!!

YouDontNeedIt
First Steps
And Fitbit Customer Service tries to make us believe that they made the change to Sleep Score because of customer feedback! They must think we are fools! I wonder what their real reason is.
YouDontNeedIt
First Steps

And Fitbit Customer Service tries to make us believe that they made the change to Sleep Score because of customer feedback! They must think we are fools! I wonder what their real reason is.

kristinrance
Jogger

ABSOLUTELY!

I HATE SLEEP SCORE!!

and want my hours/minutes back!!!

lyssfitz
Recovery Runner
They want to make us pay for their new premium service instead. Which I don’t understand— I bought the device and it’s my data- why should I have to pay to access it?

Sent from my iPhone
Sparky135
First Steps

Solution to missing Sleep weekly average!!

Open up sleep screen, then swipe colored top section (where it says Sleep Score) from right to left. It will say "Hours Slept". Click on the diagonal arrows on top right of that section and it will show the weekly average of hours slept. If you move the graph at the bottom from left to right, it will show previous weeks.

The information is still there, just harder to find....

NOTUserFrndly
First Steps
Woot! Thanks!!!
AranelS
Recovery Runner

You cannot use that workaround if your device doesn't give you a sleep score, because you have no sleep score screen.

Also you get a permanent sleep score of 0, which is worse than useless.

MotherH
Stepping Up

Sparky135, your solution doesn't work for me. I get a bar graph with hours slept for each day, but no weekly average.

Sparky135
First Steps
When you get to the screen with the sleep hours, press the little diagonal arrows at the top right hand side and that should show you the average weekly sleep score
MotherH
Stepping Up

Sparky135, I should have added that there are no diagonal arrows on my screen

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, YouDontNeedIt First Steps, I think the same - it is completely illogical that so many people want this sleep score. I don't believe this is right, I believe more people are offended by it! But I also think that if you (fitbit) want something bad enough you can make your self believe anything, and you can make statistics show whatever you want...

But I still don't understand that fitbit does not see just a little bit how this judging sleep score cross the line? Do the people on fitbit really like to be judged in an area of life that they cannot change (and where they maybe have some problems already)? - Really? When they have paid for another function they like and got used to and this is replaced (on the front page) by a function they did not ask for?

I cannot speek for anyone else but nevertheless I guess that many people feel cheated, just like I do, and I probably will not choose fitbit the next time I buy a smartwatch. But this depends on fitbit, whether they act or not. It may be too late. 

kristinrance
Jogger
Thank you
umi
Recovery Runner

I agree. I liked the bar graph which displayed the average sleep in a 24 hour period. This is more meaningful than a number. Also I understand the bar will only be shown when detailed sleep is recorded. This rarely happens in my case so no more bars for me. I do not like the new dashboard but the way you display sleep is very important to me since I have sleep issues. Please return to the previous format. Listen to your users 

Kary1371
First Steps

I hate hate hate the sleep score, want to go back to average hours slept for the week, my sleep score is always 0, so it means absolutely nothing. 

Sensor never detected sleep properly, cuts my nights in portions for no reason so i always have put in and out of sleep manually, but overall gives me an idea of how i slept, my average slept time was something i used all the time. I'm sorry but whoever thought that forcing sleep score on us was a good idea needs a kick in the butt. At least give us the option, don't make it so we have to use it. My trackers have ALWAYS been Fitbit, this is my third model, but since sleep is ine of the main thing i track, it may be my last. I hope you fix it, if not, I'm gone. 

brightblur777
Jogger

I agree, bring back average sleep, I have no need for a sleep score.

justfalcon
Jogger

New phrase 'Sleep shaming'. Though the SERVICE you are trying shove into our wallets does sound useful, the high handed way it's been presented is alienating potential clients. And the score sucks.  My doctor and I set my goals.  4 hrs 44min. is awful, not 'fair' and 7hr 45min is far better than an 83.  

Though the detailed break down may show only moderate benchmarch scores, 8hrs is a reason for rejoicing, not 'barely passing'.  That's just depressing to the average user.  When my first experience every morning is 'LOSER!' the last thing I want to do is interact with the app to log in or check progress on anything.  I'm falling way behind on tracking everything.  After touting Fitbit for over 2 years, I HATE it for 'Sleep Shaming'. 

Screenshot_20190914-124751_Fitbit.jpg

And the Mod attitude comes across as  'We know best what you need.  You can still get your unimportant silly averages by swiping a few times, hitting an icon, and saying 'pretty please.'  Stop being a baby.  We'll tell you what's important.'

Not making fans with the thousands of people who bought the product, loved the product, bought MORE of the products as gifts... and are looking to upgrade this Christmas.  Upgrading to the service IS an option.  But not until you stop taking away functionality we had  previously.

Screenshot_20190914-120533_Fitbit.jpg

justfalcon
Jogger

Keep the score, but... do NOT make it so prominent. Hide that 'gamey' trash 3 swipes and 2 icons deep at least.  I screenshot weekly averages and benchmarks to discuss with my doctors.  We compare them to activity and nutrition.  We have successfully used these numbers to eliminate meds.  

The score is meaningless to me, worse as it gives me incorrect feedback.  And at least subconsciously embarrassing to show my doctor.  IT BIASES INTERPRETATION OF DATA.

Intellectually I'm pretty sure your service WOULD be pretty good at pointing out corralations.  But emotionally that score is awfully judgey... AND INACCURATE for what many of us are tracking. 

That must not work with all versions, as that option does not work for me.
Bring the sleep average back, PLEASE!
TimT3
First Steps

Please allow users to disable the sleep scores as this is not a helpful and remove the only metric that matters Hours of Sleep!  Please let us turn off this bad idea of a feature

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.