Show last names or just first name in friends list

Once a friend is added from my contacts, for s lot of them their last name never shows or is one initial. I have 3000 contacts, and now 29 Fitbit friends. I have no clue which Ben is "Ben" or Charlie is "Charlie". Can you add last names for friends we added from contacts? Thanks!

14 Comments
jeannyhouse
First Steps

I love having friends on Fitbit. However, if they don't have a photo (and sometimes even if they do), I can't tell who they are!  I know several people named Jane, for example, with a last name that starts with S. From my friend list, I can't tell whether my Fitbit friend is Jane Smith, Jane Stone, Jane Sowhatsyourname, or Jane Somebodyelse when all I see is "Jane S." in my list. It would be so helpful to have their last names, which they've shared if they're Facebook friends, anyway. 

Alsmith
First Steps
Hey there!
I am new to the fitbit world so this question may have already been asked or there may be an answer I haven't seen yet but I was wondering if there was a way to view your fitbit friends current/daily step count, sleep patterns etc. I previously used an exercise tracking band that allowed this but I switched to fitbit because of other features I liked better. I know there are challenges but just being able to see everyone's daily progress is motivation to get up and get moving. Just figured I would ask. Thank you!!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Smiley Happy

GarethThom
Jogger

This is especially important when recieving friend requests. Without seeing the full surname of the person sending the request then it is often impossible to tell who has sent it.

Not everyone has a profile picture, or one that shows their face, making it all the more difficult to figure out if you know the person. I've had a few spam friend requests in the past that were obvious due to a name I clearly did not know, but a spam friend request using a generic name would obviously be significantly harder to identify without seeing their full surname.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LucyAP
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for this great suggestion! I can really relay with this idea and I can see the benefit. This can help us all to keep more organized our friend list.

Thanks for sharing this idea with us! 😉

jax1157
Jogger

100% agree re friend requests with only first name.   How on Earth do I know respond to a request from "Steve" - No idea who it is.   At least show surname, or email.

dsv
Jogger

DO IT, this is the most annoying non-feature. Do you really want to build a community if you don't even allow us to see the last name of who you are suggesting we connect with?

carolynmorain
First Steps

yes PLEASE.  I get a friend request from a Michelle M and it could be one of three people I know.  Why not show the last name?  And then once friends, for SURE you should show last names for the reasons other people have listed above. If a person doesn't want their last name shared perhaps give them the option to not share it (there are plenty of great privacy options - add one more!) but the not showing last names is very odd to me.

ChrisGunton
First Steps
+1! Please add this.
diverge
First Steps

I completely agree.  This request should have been fixed years ago.

There is a time and a place to be respectful of anothers' privacy, but that time is not when you are trying to determine whether you will share your personal information with someone.  Connecting with a friend on FitBit should be done with full understanding of who exactly will be seeing your health information.  And intentionally omitting the last name is a recipe for spam and confusion.

I can understand why you might want to hide the last names of users *that come from your system* (at least until after the friendship is accepted).  But the irony is that your app intentionally obfuscates this information during the *Facebook and Contact sync process*, truncating last names that I already have access to via my Facebook friends list and Contacts database.  At LEAST show the surnames from Facebook and my Contacts list, since this is information I already know, and will aid in making sure I am requesting a friendship with the "John J." who is a workout buddy of mine, and not the "John J." who is that annoying coworker creep I keep in my contacts for work emergencies.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

kbrookshier
First Steps
Fitbit shows usernames in a very childish way - "Amy S" and "John B", a way of naming people that is common in elementary school. I have almost never seen it used for adults in any context, professional or otherwise.

Would vastly prefer seeing "Amy Smith" (disambiguation for a large number of connections) or simply "Amy".
JohnnyRow
Cosmic Hurdler

If you want to show full name, why not address, email, and telephone number too?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kbrookshier, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to show last names or just first name in friends list. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.