Show swim laps, times and lengths on Charge 5

Self-explanatory, but virtually all swimmers use lap counts and times to improve their performance, especially DURING swim. Add ability to set lap count as a Goal (not just time) in the tracker. Please add this to all devices. We're thinking of getting Fitbits for our children as well, but without this feature, we will look elsewhere.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

127 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Tessio, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about displaying lap counts and times on your Charge 5 during your swim activities with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

KernowRed
Jogger

I can't believe it does have this feature. I actually bought the charge 5 so I don't have to count my laps, I jump in the pool and all I see is a timer. No heart rate, lap count, nothing. Might as well return it to the shop as it pretty useless for swimming.

McGoogly
Recovery Runner
The new Charge 5 only shows elapsed swim time once you start a swim workout. That’s lame since the wall clock shows me that too. Please include stats like laps, heart rate or zones on the screen!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @McGoogly, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see swim laps on Charge 5. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

You might be also interested in voting for this suggestion too: Heart Rate being monitored while in swim mode.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

McGoogly
Recovery Runner
Thanks!
Dezzed
First Steps

I owned a Charge 4 and recently upgraded to a Charge 5, thinking that it will provide me with lap counts and timing of the laps while I am swimming. I am indeed very disappointed that all I see is a timer. It's really useless for swimming.

Smallwood92
First Steps

As above really - I had a Versa for a few years. Wanted something a bit less watch like so purchased the Charge 5.

The Versa showed live tracking of laps/distance in the pool so assumed the Charge 5 would do the same as it's a newer model.

Swimming is my main form of exercise and tracking lengths in real time is the primary purpose of the fitbit for me - without the feature there's little live use in the device so weighing up returning the Charge and using the old Versa again instead that did do that.

Ollyt6
First Steps

I agree with all above...I had an ionic which just stopped. I assumed this feature was standard given the  hype on charge 5. This is basic stuff now. Very disappointed. Please add soonest.

KernowRed
Jogger

I am now selling mine as it's not worth having

Horgand
First Steps

Really poor that the charge 5 does not include lap counting and heart rate monitoring while swimming. 

Pathetic actually.  I opted to ask for this model as a gift for Christmas,  I'm very disappointed to learn it does not have these features as standard at this stage. 

Get your finger out fitbit and upgrade ASAP.  Otherwise stop marketing this as a swim monitoring watch - it's not,  it's a poor waterproof stop watch.  Not much good tbh.

KernowRed
Jogger

It's not even that it's doesn't track live it's more that whilst swimming in a pool all you really want to know is the time and how many lengths you have done. It does neither of these. All you have is a countdown timer on yay wrist.  

Like I said above I am now selling mine on and will look to get a proper tracker.

Zefloflo
Jogger

Same feeling. Just bought it when swimming for the first time with it yesterday. So disappointed. I did t want a watch I wanted a tracker if only I had know … please make the change!!!

Also in addition to what have been said before, I would love to see the stats in the app after swimming : time for each lap. 

Zefloflo
Jogger

If it s available on the versa, it shouldn’t be too difficult to update in the charge 5. 

Because right now i agree that it I s not a swim tracker! So disappointed 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Unfortunately it is impossible to implement it non Charge 5 as it lacks the gyroscope, available instead on Versa.

Zefloflo
Jogger

I m surprised and disappointed that the Fitbit website doesn’t show the difference between those watch/trackers for this specific point . It seems like false advertising. 

Olly3000
First Steps

Like everyone else that had an Ionic, it just stopped working. I upgraded to a Charge 5 and am too massively disappointed that it doesn't show the laps whilst you are swimming, which is the main reason I bought it.

What is the point in showing the time when every swimming pool has clocks at the end for this purpose already. We need to count laps!!

****Fitbit please add this ASAP of else you'll loose me (and most other people I know) as customers****

Gembeetle
First Steps

Like everyone else I agree and would want lap counts to be visible whilst I swim. I got the charge 5 so that I would not have to count my lengths but unfortunately I still need to. Please fitbit add this status to the clock face whilst I swim. 

FitMahm
First Steps
Enable Charge 5 to count swim laps, along with time, completed.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FitMahm, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding swim laps and times to Charge 5. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Mr.Misc
First Steps

Oh no... I just had this ordered today for my birthday gift. Never had Fitbit before.

Had I known that lengths weren't included in the watch data while swimming then I'd have got something else.

Please implement this or the watch will swiftly be going on a well known auction site.

Thank you

KatieJP
First Steps
The Charge 5 will only allow you to view the duration of your swim on the fitness band - let's make it so there is a choice to view either this or the number of lengths swam in the pool -the water unlock feature can take up to 15 firm double taps to unlock - let's make it a swipe to the side to unlock - much quicker and not adding to your time.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @KatieJP, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to see your swim lengths on your Charge 5 during your exercise with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support, we'll keep tracking this request over time.

Lorslee
Recovery Runner

I have had a Fitbit 5 to replace my HR (which the face was getting scratched), I got it mostly for swimming. I swim every day for at least 55 min without stopping or using a kickboard.   Only twice did it stay on my entire swim and acurately recorded the yards I swam,  What use is it if it turns itself off after the first 11 minutes?  I may as well use the pool clock.   I am returning it tomorrow And going back to using my HR.  Does anyone else have the problem of it turning off by itself?   Maybe it's just my device and should try another one...

Olly3000
First Steps

Loralee, yep my Charge 5 does that too. It will randomly just stop recording whatever activity I'm tracking (manually triggered). Like half way through playing football or spinning or something. I get to the end of the session, look down, and find it's only recorded some of it without me pressing the stop button.

Utter crap, mines going back soon if they don't sort these pathetic issues out.

MalibuBill
Keeping Pace

This really should be addressed. Lap counts are much more important to me when I am swimming than elapsed time.  I’m guessing the current implementation was done by folks who didn’t consult much with swimmers before coding. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.