Show temperature baseline details

I would like to see what my baseline temperature is.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

29 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ned3, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about showing temperature baseline on the Fitbit app. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

motamman
Jogger

Yes. Me too. That would make sense and be useful. Above and below an unknown baseline is frustrating.

GuyBoggan
Jogger

Yes agree

LesMacDud
First Steps

agreed! Data is useless if you do not know what the baseline is.

JJWoodyTx
First Steps
The skin temperature trends (up/down) are only relative to what the Sense has calculated over time. You cannot see the details (actual baseline temperature used for trending). Need the ability to see the details of the baseline temperature.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JJWoodyTx, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see temperature baseline details over time. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Guy_
Space Racer

An indicated baseline temperature would be brilliant.

It might be an inaccurate absolute value [due to the many factors that can modify it during any given night and the thermometer precision itself] but its relative value is significative for several reasons.

1) As people grow older their temperature declines and the value shown should reflect this over time.

2) It would be interesting to know what is the average is over many nights, because the oddities of any particular night would be averaged out.

3) The fear that an inaccurate value could mislead users is unfounded, it is stated its not for medical purposes.

4) As the baseline is evaluated over 30 days, the baseline temperature changes over time.

There is no overall graph showing this trend, only the nightly variations based on an unknown starting point, so its essential to know what is the current value of the baseline temperature, however accurate/inaccurate.

EG. 2 degrees above the baseline at the start of a month is not the same as 2 degrees above at the end of the month.

By the end of a month you could have a roaring temperature and not have any indication, even if it increased by a few tenths on some nights and decreased by fewer tenths over the same period because it is cumulative.

Is this a correct representation of how it works?

tanya7800
First Steps

Would love to see the baseline. I don’t know what the changes are based on. 

QueenBre
First Steps

Agreed!  It's been driving me crazy that I can't see this.  I would love to see the long term trends and things like that.  

NateAllen
First Steps

Would be useful to know what the baseline is personally I think the feature doesnt really have any real use unless you have all the information.

BrittanyJean21
First Steps

Agreed!! The feature is pretty much useless if we don’t know what the baseline is. 
When we look at it in the morning, we know that we were generally cooler or warmer than the night before, and therefore when we go to sleep that night we can adjust accordingly by opening/closing windows, adding or taking away blankets and fans, etc..

However, the baseline changes. So, we could see fluctuations around the baseline and try to compensate for it, but the baseline could have jumped up or down over the last month and we never would have known it.
So, while we’re adding and taking away blankets and fans, maybe it would’ve been better to leave those things in place because our baseline is actually higher or lower than normal. 

I hope all of that made sense.. 

But the bottom line is that we need to be able to see our baseline. It would be very helpful and clear a lot of things up. 

ExerciseAllergy
First Steps

We should absolutely be able to see the actual temperature somewhere, it takes our skin temp every hour to calculate it and track it. It's silly that we can't see the actual number. We have no way to know if we are actually in the suggested range. It only tells us if we're above or below our personal, yet undisclosed, normal.

It seems like an oversight. All of our metrics information is necessary for us to make informed decisions about our health and wellness. Please fix that. Please and thank you.

Guy_
Space Racer

@ExerciseAllergy  absolutely!

Btw. It makes a temperature reading every minute.

What health metrics shows is one silly blip per night on a moving baseline.

ExerciseAllergy
First Steps

@Guy_ I was thinking minute, and *still* typed the wrong word. 😂 The ADD is strong with this one

Guy_
Space Racer

@ExerciseAllergy 

Lol

Have a look here

treehugger
Recovery Runner

Me too. Relative data is meaningless when we don't know what it is relative 3.

treehugger
Recovery Runner

Oops, not 3 , to!

Buona
First Steps
It would be nice if we could know what Fitbit has calculated as our baseline temperature. Beyond that, it would be great to see the data in daily fluctuations to track when we’re ill, trying to prevent overheating — not the same as core temp but it’s still correlational
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Buona, thanks for sharing this suggestion about showing the temperature baseline on the Fitbit app with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

912systems
Recovery Runner

I would as well like to know what the baseline is.  

Haleyboo42483
First Steps

I agree as well! Why have the feature if you can’t use it. It’s really annoying considering you get numbers for other things such as beats per minute. Knowing you temperature is important too if you want an indication you are sick or are a woman keeping track of your cycle. Otherwise you have to buy and wear another device when you could just wear this. Please add the actual baseline temperature because this was one feature I considered when buying this!

beef623
Jogger

It doesn't make any sense why this wouldn't be shown, the data is useless without it.

Willowbb8
Stepping Up

I strongly agree and vote for seeing our baseline temperature. Although it is nice to see this graph, it really isn't helpful to me unless I know what the baseline number is in order to compare or justify this data.  Yes it went up or down, but from what number (baseline)? I understand it is not a core temperature nor is it to be used as medical information but this graph would be useful if there was a baseline temperature.

Laurev
First Steps

I agree too! I don't understand why it doesn't exist yet. It is as much important at the bpm for some people, and the captors are already on the watch (charge 5 in my case).

Why is this not a thing yet? That’s why I enables the temperature option, I need to know my actual temperature and the variations (like the actual numbers like 98.6 or whatever) so it’s kind of useless sadly without being able to see the numbers. Please actually change this, so many people have requested it and I’m shocked that years after this thread has been made, it hasn’t checked at all and hasn’t been implemented. I have a FitBit Sense if that helps

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.