Sleep score based on difference of sleep hours from recommended benchmark

The Sleep Score tracks optimality based on percentages, which has the non-sensical result that a 4-hour sleep stint that logs 60 minutes REM/Deep Sleep (25%) gets higher score than 8 hour sleep with 90 REM/DS (18.75%) each.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
7 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Dab-123, and thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about improving the algorithm on Fitbit devices to generate sleep score with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this product feedback receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Dab-123
Base Runner
Hi Lizzy, previous posts like this that generated hundreds of likes and
Fitbit has ignored them. That people may think they are gaming the system
by sleeping fewer hours than recommended but still getting a good score is
no excuse for Fitbit to give misleading guidelines and evaluations. They
should have their own assessment.

It's also clear Fitbit ignores what people say on many crucial things,
having moderators placate, like is done here, so many people tell me they
never even bother.

The system is wrong. Instead of blowing me off, you should bring it to the
attention of your managers.

Thanks!
Dab-123
Base Runner

The moderator changed my title from "Sleep Score violates/confuses medical guidelines" to the euphemism "improve algorithm." This is bordering on the fraudulent. They are interfering with customer feedback to relieve themselves from the pressure to do something. I did not say "improve the algorithm"--I said something much more serious, that this is deceptive and gives dangerously false impressions that violates medical guidelines.

The system is not allowing me to change the title back to the original either, though formally it gives you the option. The system freezes.

Dab-123
Base Runner

@LizzyFitbit Please restore my title: this is not the point of the post. My claim is correct, using percentages rather than distance from the 2 hour optimum is confusing and misleading. I am not simply asking for an "improvement of the algorithm". I am alerting users to a serious problem with your metric. Thank you.

Zzcc0000
First Steps

I look at my sleep score for amusement, as it has never been accurate for me.  On one hand, the app tells me I'm asleep while I'm playing computer games, watching TV and having conversations concurrently, and on the other (since version 4.03) it tells me I'm getting up at around 3am each day (which I then correct to around 6am!).  Even then, with that level of obvious inaccuracy, how could I trust it?

Dab-123
Base Runner
I look at it for health purposes. As do many people. It does a good job
tracking my sleep, so maybe your model is off. In any case irrelevant,
here, the point is the algorithm is misleading people. You should be
posting elsewhere or contacting customer support.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Dab-123. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this idea. I've gone ahead and edited the title based on your original comment so it can clearly reflect your idea. Please note that the sleep data is just for reference; however, it's not intended to be used for medical conditions. We always recommend consulting your healthcare provider for any concern regarding your health.

Please watch this space for status updates don't hesitate to keep adding your ideas!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.