Step Stools / Step Ladders For Stair Count

I work in a warehouse and use a step stool or step ladder constantly during my shift. I probably step up (normal stair height or greater) in excess of 2000 times in one shift (equal to probably close to 150-175 flights of stairs), however my fitbit registers 0.

Fitbit needs to be able to recognize any change in elevation (equal to a normal stair height) and save those to total the number in order to calculate the number of flights of stairs climbed. This type of climbing is no different than doing it on a flight of stairs, just that it's not doing it all at the same time. This would be similar to walking 10,000 steps, but doing them in place, and the fitbit saying you had 0 steps.

Moderator Edit: Labels

3 Comments
Wessing
First Steps
I have a similar job, where I'm up and down ladders all day some days. I first noticed this flaw when I was working a site that had a little 3-step staircase between the two sides. I walked back and forth all day; I must have climbed over 100 steps...but no complete flights of steps.
Xirena
Recovery Runner

And the dumb part is that my Fitbit registers flights and flights of steps, and I don't climb any - it's reading the elevation changes when I'm riding in the car!

Please make the device more intelligent!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for the participation in our Feature Suggestions board. This ideas has been decline due to the capabilities of the Fitbit tracker in function of how it works the altimeter.

Fitbit trackers that count floors have an altimeter sensor that can detect when you're going up or down in elevation along with forward motion. Your tracker registers one floor when you climb about ten feet at one time. This not count elevation gains on a StairMaster, inclined treadmill, or other stationary exercise equipment because your body does not change in elevation by 10 feet. The same happens with ladders despite there is an elevation gain there are no forward movement.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.