Support Google Workspace accounts to log in to Fitbit account

Right now people like myself that use a Google Workspace (so not something [at] gmail.com) account as their main account, are locked out of Fitbit "login with Google" features - and our accounts can't be migrated.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and updated label
157 Comments
surfiesbeach
Jogger

Same boat. Already use my Google workspace account to pay for Fitbit Premium. Got a new charge 6 today and can't set it up due to not supporting the workspace account.

Current solution appears to be use a Gmail account, cancel Fitbit premium and then resubscribe using that new Gmail account... Yeah that's not happening 😕

Guess I'll go back to the 5 and hope that this workspace issue is resolved before the mandatory migration in 2025.

jonathanweber
First Steps

How is it even possible that this is a thing in 2023? Who the heck made decisions to deny workspace users, who are mostly paying and were even offered a paid plan for personal use earlier this year, access to Google Services that free users have full access to - Google services that are required for using newly released devices? 

I have been used to the quirks of Google but this is a decision that will make a lot of people either not order oder return their Pixel Watch 2. And be told, most of them will not post here since they can not even properly sign up using their Workspace account...

And it frustrates me even more that NO ONE of the Fitbit team gives a high quality answer or input on this matter - this is just so unbelievably disrespectful...

danimalh83
First Steps

Had this issue with the nest acquisition.  Google wants to keep their consumer stuff under under their free gmail.com account umbrella.  Google workspace users have far more control over their data and privacy which doesn't align to this product category.  Easiest resolution is to make a free gmail and throw all non-sensitive/consumer stuff under that login.  Samsung stuff uses a samsung account, apple = icloud, etc.

Same boat as all others.  I'm doing research and was planning on ordering a Pixel 8 Pro with Pixel 2 watch but am re-thinking my plans and will buy another Samsung phone given this limitation.  Deeply disappointed.  We MUST support workspace users, or allow workspace users to push our data to a consumer gmail account and allow us to pay an extra fee to use family domain names.  Right now neither is possible and we are stuck.

Hwam
Stepping Up

Same here. Using workspace for 12 years. I got a Google watch 2 which is useless now!!

My account on my Google Pixel 2 is my workspace account so one my watch it's also the same Google workspace account. I cannot use a normal Gmail account for Fitbit.

Fix this!!! Otherwise it's useless.

Rjickity
First Steps

Same boat as everyone else here, apps/workspace user for 13 years. Just got the Pixel Watch 2 and set it up, aside from having to turn off MDM on the workspace admin console, I was able to use a fitbit login (via the FB app on the phone) + the pixel watch with the workspace account. There's no integration of the fitbit features and it tells you that you can use a fitbit login but then that forces you to merge to a google account - which then errors out about workspace, bringing you back to square one. This makes the useful features of the watch unuseable, i'm going to be returning it.

Unfortunately, like others have mentioned, the failure to accommodate the 2 account types of consumer gmail + workspace creates so many problems for a workspace user and you just end up feeling like a second class citizen with new products when they're launched. I'm way too deep to re-establish a gmail account with everything it needs

silvenga
First Steps

Well... coming from Fitbit support. They are sympathetic and apologetic, they blame Google's policies. I was told by a couple of reps that Google just doesn't really care - it's just an artificial limitation.

I really got a sense they didn't like Google's acquisition.

Miiri
Keeping Pace

Same here - long time google workspace user and fitbit user.   Love my fitbit but may seriously need to consider moving to an alternative if this doesn't get resolved.

Hwam
Stepping Up

I got it working with two accounts, my Google workspace account and my regular Google account. I primary installed my watch with my Workspace account and when it was up and running I added my regular Google account on the Pixel 2 smartphone and also on my Pixel watch 2. After that I was able to add my regular Google account in the Watch app on the Pixel 2 smartphone. After that I was able to choose the regular Google account when I started the Fitbit process to open and transfer the Fitbit account to the Google account (the regular Google Gmail account). I created a Fitbit account with the email address of my regular Google account in the beginning with the link mentioned in this post earlier. So it took me some time and I have both of my Google accounts on the smartphone and watch but it's working. Only my Fitbit environment is working with the regular Google account. So just keep on trying.

gravax
Recovery Runner

But people here don't want this. They just want to keep using one account, there decade old workspace. What you describe works, and is mostly a hack, to allow transfer of data to a Gmail account. Not satisfactory for those of us attached to keeping their workspace account that they pay for, and have been using for over a decade.

Hwam
Stepping Up

I wrote "Pixel 2 smartphone" in my posts, of course I mean "Pixel 8 pro" smartphone. I can't find how I can edit my own posts. 😞

Duffeler
First Steps

Just received my pixel2 watch... is there an ETA already available? ...

just-a-random
First Steps

I am a +1 for this as well.

Trying to figure out options but likely returning PW2 and either sticking with PW1 or Sense2 or just biting the bullet and going Garmin.

----

@Hwam can you please clarify what you did? Struggled to understand your post but it sounds like you just have two accounts now. Both workspace and gmail account on phone and watch. All data - other then fitbit - is going to workspace account and only fitbit data goes to new gmail account.

Hwam
Stepping Up

@just-a-random that's correct. I have two accounts on phone and watch. I just did what I wrote. After adding a regular Google account on phone and watch I was able to set it up. You first need to create a separate Fitbit account, pure Fitbit. I used the link https://www.fitbit.com/signup for this. I used my regular Google email address to create the Fitbit account. I was able to setup with that Fitbit after both Google accounts were on phone and watch. During setup the Fitbit account was converted to regular Google account to login at Fitbit. It was all not easy but I got it working now.

just-a-random
First Steps

@Hwam That's what I thought / the whole thing i'm trying to avoid

Hwam
Stepping Up

@just-a-random Impossible. If you only want to use your workspace account you cannot use the Fitbit features in your watch. Google doesn't care!! We are just workspace users. It sucks.

danimalh83
First Steps

Got my pixel watch 2 going with my personal gmail as secondary.  Steps that worked for me:

complete pixel watch setup using google workspace/primary account

skip fitbit connection step

add personal gmail as secondary watch account via pixel watch app

convert fitbit login to google via the fitbit app (not via the fitbit prompt during watch setup that gives the "we recommend the same account" error).

reboot watch for good measure, fitbit data connected.

dustyhansen
First Steps

I am not creating a gmail account just to get my Pixel Watch 2 working with Fitbit. I guess I will return my brand new Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel Watch 2 and get an iPhone and Apple Watch instead.

Dyltone
First Steps

Same Same Same...

Nest and Fitbit are just the latest in a LONG line of FU's from Google for using my Workspace account.

I feel like they could easily put a slider at the top of the Admin console that says "treat this account like a normal Gmail account" and 99% of us would be just fine. Personally, the only thing I want/need is a couple family accounts using the custom domain name and my sweet catch-all for email. I don't "manage" any user or device settings and probably won't ever have a need to do that either.

Someone above hit the nail on the head though, because they legally can't do the same things with our Workspace data as they do with the "free" Gmail accounts, they are less inclined to give us the same services knowing they won't be able to monetize the accounts the same way as the free ones.

Remember, when the product is free... you are the currency.

Nik0s
First Steps

Everyone, please go to the following link below, which is on the Official Google Workspace forum and vote and comment for this idea, it fully covers the issue we are facing here, the more buzz the chances we have to get this fixe sooner than later, also besides Fitbit, make sure you Contact Google Workspace support and refer them to that idea listing on their official forum, kindly ask them to escalate this topic with their managers, most of them are very helpful and happy to do so if advice properly

Please go here, vote and comment expressing your support - Thanks
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/Google-Workspace-Accounts-act-the-same-as-Goog...

Dyltone
First Steps

Access Denied

Hwam
Stepping Up
Completely agree!!
just-a-random
First Steps

Thanks for that @Nik0s .

I don't have access, though :(.

```

You don't currently have access to view this page.

```

a-pixel-usr
First Steps

I was able to get my Pixel Watch 2 connected to fitbit, using the equivalent of a workspace account. Hopefully it stays this way and isn't "fixed" 🙂

For those with the new pixel watch 2, and are trying to get their watch to work with their fitbit, but have either a workspace or "GSuite Legacy" account, I did the following:

1. Create my account here: https://www.fitbit.com/signup and walk through the account verification process

2. With the app [on your Android], log in, and connect your new device

When you select "Pixel Watch 2" it forces you to "Sign In with Google", it will not let you log in with your newly created username/password.

When you select "Pixel Watch" (aka the first generation of this watch), you can log in with your newly created username/password. Not sure why this was my experience, but it worked.

I found this thread as a new pixel watch 2 user, in trying to connect my GSuite Legacy account. I have about a decade+ worth of data on my Google account, so I really am keen on not switching to a Gmail account.There are thousands of users who leverage GSuite Legacy or Google Workspace for personal use,unfortunately we're a minority userbase and my account is generally treated as second class citizen at this point, I expect to not be able to use fitbit with this account by 2025, unfortunately.

Dyltone
First Steps

@a-pixel-usr - Thanks!! I was also able to setup the Pixel 2 Watch using Pixel Watch (first gen) from the device selection screen.
It is shown as Pixel Watch 2 in the FitBit app as well.
I did not create a new FitBit account as I've been a member since 2009.

Everything seems to be working as expected for now, but we'll see how this goes in the long term.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.