Sustainable and cumulative "Activity Score" for completing goals and challenges

Allow users to build their "Activity Score" by completing goals and challenges.This could be a single number available as a tile that represents a person in terms of his/her physical activity. Points would be awarded to the users in several ways:

1. Completing any 3 of the daily goals - 1 point

2. Winning 2 people challenge - 1 point

3. Winning 3 people challenge - 1st place 2 points, second place 1 point

4. Winning 4 people challenge - 1st place 3 points, second place 2 points, third place 1 point. (up until 10 people)

5. +1 point for every 5k steps above 10,000

I believe that building and maintaining something that is sustainable would be a really strong motivation point for everyone.

Getting extra points by participating in challenges would motivate people to try them and do everything to get the extra points.

You get badges and complete daily goals which is great, but I feel like all those achievements could be converted to a single number that could represent you.

This way you could appreciate all those achievements at once, because all your effort added up to create this single number.

You could also more accurately compare your physical activity to your friends and try to catch up with them if you're behind.

In addition, I would reset the points every year, just as everyone gets their new year resolutions set which would give everyone equal chance and a fresh start.

Accumulated points should be available in the app as a tile, showing a Leaderboard among friends, city, and a community group joined. This would encourage users to get more familiar with all the community groups offered.

I hope you guys like the idea.

Jerry

Moderator Edit: Labels.

9 Comments
Simon
Jogger
I think that there should be a way to keep track of who wins what award in the weekly challenges.

Example:

3 Points for a weekly win
2 Points for a weeked win
1 Point for a daily win

A group of people can fight it out for the league title over serveral weeks, months or up to a year.

Anyone else like this idea?

Thanks
Simon
sequin2000
First Steps

Great idea. Is there any way of seeing the weekly stats rather than the monthly stats on the first page of the activity group?

Eingold
First Steps
Love it! Something else to motivate you besides badges, and I like that it actually would stick around for longer than just a week
Kasia104
First Steps

Yes! I like the long-term progress report idea. Point system may also encourage others to go above and beyond their set goals. I like it!

Silvercode
Recovery Runner

If giving points, why not build some of the posting here on the forums into the points system?

That way you get credit for sharing your progress and helping motivate others?

I think those points should be less than from doing the exercises and be capped so someone can't go crazy and game the system.

Maybe 0.5 point per post for first 2 posts of the day, and 1 point for reaching 5 or 10 posts.

Also maybe 1 point for 1 or more posts for 5 days in a row?

Anyway, just a thought.

oBoy
Runner

Lose one point for not meeting your main goal!

Jerry104
Walker

@Silvercode Thanks for your comment! I like your idea, but I feel like pointing system for being active on the forum could be a totally separate thing. What I was thinking about is pointing system for being a physically active person. You get badges and complete daily goals which is great, but I feel like all those achievements could be converted to a single number that could represent you.

This way you could appreciate all those achievements at once, because all your effort added up to create this single number.

You could also more accurately compare your physical activity to your friends and try to catch up with them if you're behind. Each year the number would reset so new Fitbit owners have a fair start with everyone else.

@oBoy Yes, some penalties could be implemeneted! But, I wouldn't make them too hard because this could discourage people. I like the one that you suggested though!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

flakefrost
First Steps

I am truly motivated by the idea of incorporating gamified group achievements and points into the Fitbit experience. I firmly believe that open groups have the potential to greatly enhance people's engagement with Fitbit’s products. It would be wonderful to witness individuals coming together, supporting and encouraging one another, as they explore the various features and benefits of Fitbit.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.