Sync without dongle on Mac

As we know, there are only two usb ports on MacBook Pro with Retina, and it has built-in bluetooth 4.0 support. So could you let us use Fitbit Connect on Mac without dongle?

Moderator Edit: Updated label

52 Comments
curxxx
Recovery Runner

My MBPr has built in Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy, so why am I forced to use the sync dongle? 

❤️

mike824
Tempo Runner

If anyone in the software department is listening how about you come up with a way to connect my Fitbit HR to my Macbook Pro using the Bluetooth I already have ? Seems silly to have to use the Dongle when I already have Bluetooth built in.

larryk78
Stepping Up

+1, no need to take up a USB port if the device can already sync over Bluetooth (which it does with phone/tablets).

HansJ
First Steps

Fully agree.  On vacation with my MacBook Air w/bluetooth enabled and I would love to sync my fitbit.  Works with the phone, so it shouldn'd be that hard to do with the computer.

johnrrr
First Steps

I'm astonished I have to use the dongle. If I can sync to my iphone with bluetooth, why not to my mabook? I only have two usb ports and can't keep the dongle in all the time so it's a real pain to keep track of it and constantly put it in and out. 

fenway062213
Recovery Runner

Seriously, it's so ridiculous that we can't do this already. I was under the impression we could when I decided to buy a Fitbit to begin with. I always have my iPhone charging in my room when I get home from work at the end of the day, and find it completely mind-bogglingly stupid that I can't sync my Fitbit to the perfectly capable, much-more-powerful Macbook Pro that's always sitting in my lap. 

Please fix this soon, otherwise I'll just return my Fitbit and go with another option. 

gabericharde
First Steps

I also am completely flabbergasted that this is not possible on desktop Bluetooth, but perfectly functional on tablets and phones. Totally ridiculous. I'm looking for 3rd party workarounds to this, and there seems to maybe be linuxy one, but it's buggy.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

gets my full support! was just looking to see if it could be done

no point using the ipad/iphone when sat at home in front of the macbook air

I have no idea where my dongle is, have never used it

do you need to install third party software/drivers? if so, might be because Apple have locked down what the bluetooth on the Macbook can and can not do

if not, then there should be no reason why you have to use the dongle

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kinosang thanks for stopping by. This is an excellent idea and could make happy a lot of users, I really appreciate you took the time to write us.  I will pass it along to our developers team for review. 

Happy stepping! Woman Wink

ron2000
First Steps

Crazy that we can sync the Fitbit with a newer OS, Windows 10, using bluetooth, but not with the Mac.

I too have a Macbook Pro with only two USB ports, so I can't dedicate one to the dongle.

Please, please give us this functionality

Onezt
First Steps

Super Duper Agree!

We, Mac user really need this feature! I just bought Fitbit Charge HR and dissapointed for the must using usb dongle on my mac. Hope this feature will implemented soon. Thanks..

MaxH42
First Steps

Someone gave me a Fitbit Charge without a dongle, and I can't connect with my Macbook's built-in Bluetooth?? This is ridiculous. I can connect it to a phone with just Bluetooth, so why not my computer?

dbetz
First Steps

My wife recently bought a MacBook that doesn't have a USB port that will accept the FitBit dongle. She would like to use the built-in Bluetooth to sync with her FitBit.

flcl912
First Steps

I noticed that this is already possible on Windows 10 PCs. Please implement this soon for all MAC computers as well. Thanks! 

IlyaTrue
First Steps

Oh common! Really there are 2 USB ports on my macbook pro. Could you please make users happier and use native bluetooth?

Palio9000
First Steps
Macs have a limited number of USB ports and we need to keep as many as possible free. Please make native Bluetooth support!
matt9013
Sprinter

I really like how W10 has it's own dedicated App that does more than just take you to the websites dashboard. OS X has had it's own App store for a long time now but we still don't have a dedicated App like Windows.

I would like to get a dedicated App for Mac's just like the Windows one that isn't just to sync the fitbit and take you to the website. But an actual App.

ew.harvey
Stepping Up

I totally agree with all the comments above: My MacBook Pro has BT 4 with low energy support. It is unacceptable that I have to use the dongle and thus a port, when I have other low energy devices (keyboard, mouse, and trackpad) that work like a charm). Please, please supply us Mac users with the software needed to use the native Bluetooth!

ebenas
Jogger

+1

Completely agree - I automatically assumed the bluetooth dongle was for machines without bluetooth and have just found that I can't connect my MBP without it! So definitely need native Bluetooth support!

ew.harvey
Stepping Up
So other than complain on the forum is there a more direct way to influence the company?
eagle80
First Steps

+1

Please allow bluetooth usage for the Mac!

LinseyL
Jogger
This was recently introduced for Windows, but my MacBook Pro has Bluetooth - why do I need a separate dongle just to sync with my computer? Please introduce an update that will allow Mac users to sync to their macs without the need for a dongle.
fenway062213
Recovery Runner
I completely agree with LinseyL. The Mac is now the only device that requires the separate Bluetooth USB adapter to sync, which is incredibly dumb because all current macs have Bluetooth 4.0 built right in. It's also really unfair to Mac users to require us to buy an expensive and useless adapter that we shouldn't need, when other customers don't have to. One of my family's new macs doesn't even have a USB port, so we can't even use a Fitbit with that laptop until the company just updates their software. I lost my Bluetooth adapter when it fell out on its own - it always fit way too loosely - and I'm not going to pay for another one. Just update the Connect app so we don't need it.
fenway062213
Recovery Runner
We need to be able to sync to OS X without the USB adapter. All currently sold Macs ship with Bluetooth 4.0, as do iOS devices, so there's no technological reason why we would need an expensive and easily lost adapter in order to sync our Fitbits. My current MacBook doesn't even have a USB port, meaning that Fitbits are now incompatible with many current Macs. The dongle itself fell out of my last laptop and when I went to replace it, I found it was really very expensive for what it is - a redundant accessory that we shouldn't need. I'm starting to feel like this company is declining to offer a standalone Mac app that can sync Fitbits without an adapter so that they can continue to charge us for expensive replacements, which is terrible, and doesn't help those of us without compatible USB ports. Please fix this...
GBoomer
Jogger

Being able to sync on my Mac without the dongle would be great. My wife accidentaly threw out my dongle with the packaging of my Charge HR. I sync using my iPad, but often I am using my Mac and would prefer not to have to drag out the ipad just to sync.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.