The ability to create a tile (Beer, Wine, Soda, Cigarettes, Coffee, Tea consumption)

Fitbit's dashboard is second to none, in my opinon.  It provides really great data that is tracked over time and complies this data in extremely meaningful ways.   To strengthen fitbit's ability to show all encompassing health data why not make it possible for a user to create a tile or number of tiles so that they can track something that they are working on.  eg.

Beer and wine consumption.  Soda consumption.  Cigarettes. Coffee.  Tea. Meditation.

If you could create a tile you can focus on something that you are working on, either seeking to reduce the amount you consume or to increase it and meet a goal.  (similar to the water tile)

You could Name the tile and Name the unit of measurement.   eg.  Glass, oz, number, item, serving, session completed.

This way someone who wanted limit their coffee to 3 cups a day could do it.  Someone else who wanted to meditate every day, or to work towards that, could do it.  Someone who wanted to limit their smoking or soda could do it.  

The ability to create an individual tile, or a few individual tiles would personalize the dashboard so much and would be a great feature, I think.

27 Comments
AndyMiller425
First Steps

Futurist say we are entering into an era of the quantified self.  Imagine a future where facebook posts include how many times your heart beat yesterday... How many breaths you took... how salty your sweat is...

We're getting there, and I think that fitbit should be where we go to log ALL that data.  

Why not let fitbit pioneer that future.

We're slowly getting there, and for now fitbit gives us a place to log calories, activity, and more.

Not everyone needs a line on their dashboard to log how many cigarrettes they smoked today.  
Not everyone would need a line to track their bathroom breaks.

But why not have blank lines that we can customize and add to the dashboard?

How much time am I spending on the bus?  

How many times did I go to the bathroom today?

Let me add some of my own lines to my dashboard.  

whitecrane
First Steps

I'd like to see a meditation tile,with # of minutes/day, and goals like # of consecutive days.

It would also be good to be able to do a logging capacity right on dashboard--going to a separate page is not too bad, but could be more fluid.

fitperson
Stepping Up

I'd like to see a meditation tile as meditation is as important as being active for optimum health Are you thinking of putting a tile on for it?

toomnyhats
Premium User
Jogger

I totally agree with this suggestion - I'd like to be able to track Fruits/Veggies at a minimum but would like the ability to add unlimited customizable tiles to the dashboard.

ClueisKeenan
Recovery Runner

I agree, I would like to track my smoking, I can add a custin log for it but it only shows for the day.  I would really like to see by time throughout the day so i can see when I've been smoking more and see if it relates too other things in my life i can adjust or take more attention too.

Vasco1
Jogger

A Meditation Tile would be awesome! with the possibility to log the beginning and end times and analyze how deep we were based on the heart rate / HR Variability data.

please make it possible.Smiley Happy

regards

Vasco1

whitecrane
First Steps
Dear Vasco 1,
I also hope they will make it possible. I think the idea of adding heart rate for bands with that function is a wonderful idea. Let’s hope lots of others do too.
white crane
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I would also like to be able to track my smoking as I am trying to cut back one day at a time.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

You could create a new optional tile for people, this tile would be based on addictions such as smoking, drugs, cookies or whatever else. The smoking tile and maybe other tiles of this sort (if you don't include the ability to edit the actual addiction they are trying to conquer in one tile) could even go into further depth to tell people how much more healthier they are by for example, not smoking. It could tell them how much money they are saving when it comes to buying packs or cartons of cigarettes, boxes of cookies ect. The tile(s) could also be made just like your water tile where the user inputs the amount of cigarettes, cookies, ect they consume each day. I would even suggest showing them a date they started so they could say they stopped their addiction on a specific day and they have been x-free for x amount of days. I personally don't smoke and would still like to see this added so I could potentiality get more people using FitBit not only to help them work-out and be healthy but also help them break other bad habits they may have, the more friends and family I can get using Fitbit the more competition I will have! 🙂

I even took a little time to draw up the idea for you, of course this could be changed and made with more details, but this gives you an idea. You could even allow people to publicly compete.

Addictions - Dashboard

Addictions - Smoking - Entry

Addictions - Cookies - Entry

Spice1973
Jogger
I love this idea and I would for sure use it. I know a lot of people would love to see progress cutting down on their bad habits. I really think it would help motivate those that use it to do better.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
FerdinandFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi there @Unbreaker, thank you for taking the time to share your suggestions with us!

Ive seen several people are interested in your request and I personally think this would  be something very helpful for people that wish to keep track of things other than the ones the dashboard already provides. I will move forward and pass your request along to the product development team for them to evaluate it and possibly implement it in the future.

Once again, thank you for participating in the Feature Request Board!

skt042
First Steps

This is a GREAT idea.  I would use it immediately.  I'm trying to stop smoking and this would be perfect to help me!!!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This would be such a great help! It's exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for, especially for smoking and wanting to cut back on that. Thanks for the post.

Karen-SF
First Steps

Totally agree with having the option to add personal tiles to track progress... like the coach.me app.  I was VERY disappointed that I could not add meditation as a daily goal to track.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'd love this. A mood tile would also be really useful.

Keepmovingup
First Steps
Additional feature to keep record of the amount of cigarettes a person smokes per day and how often, this might be incentive to quit and become healthy
_Ingrid_
Jogger

I would LOVE this!  In fact, I already do something similar on another app called TracKit:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trackit-track-weight-expenses/id684374465?mt=8

TracKit is simple but amazing, and I use it every day.  If Fitbit could integrate something similar, I'd be thrilled.

Shanp
First Steps
Definitely voting for a meditation tile!
pis
Keeping Pace

I'd be great to have a Fitbit SDK available for mobile phones (please refer to Samsung HealthKit).

Third party developers could then create custom visualizations/measurements available in mobile app. This could also help to integrate products from other companies to use Fitbit ecosystem and extend current Fitbit platform.

I guess implementing this feature will also require some WebAPI changes, i.e.: add support for adding the same visualizations/measurements (as for mobile application) to Fitbit Dashboard.

anish09
Jogger

This is a GREAT idea and could be useful for everyone/anyone. Can we please have this - it would be a big value add for all users. I know Fitbit creates new models frequently - would be good to give your app some love also. 🙂

anish09
Jogger

This would also take care of my original request - to have a meditation log functionality. A blank tile can perform the same function as long as we can attach a challenge to it. Can we transfer the 10 votes from this request feature below to this tile request? 🙂

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Ability-to-log-Meditation/idi-p/1814931#comment-...

UrmiA
Keeping Pace

Wholeheartedly agree! It will be super useful to track customized goals such as activities done to improve flexibility or strength ... or diet goals or meditation goals etc

djkowal
First Steps

This idea was first commented on 6/18/14. There was a moderator response thanking everyone for their suggestion 6/14/15. It is now 6/2/19 as of this writing. I do not know how many requests must be made before this is addressed but this is a great idea.  Why are you not moving on this Fitbit? It would help set you apart from the rest. You have serious competition out there.

Supersamx
First Steps
A tile to track each cigarette smoked.
Goal would be 0 for each day but just like logging food or water, you log each time you smoke.

I am trying to quit smoking and live a more active life, I can track my exercise, food and water which keeps me on track.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Supersamx, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to create a new tile to log cigarette consumption. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.