Time zone

Remove dependency of the time on watch with the time zone setting in our on line profile. Have the watch just use the time on the phone. It is absolutely ridiculous that I need to access my on-line profile when I change time zones! 

15 Comments
rhgood
Runner

I've never had to access my profile when I change time zones....watch just does what my phone does.

Boost01
Runner

I had this issue just the other week. My Charge 2 took several hours to adjust to a new time zone, but then didn't adjust back again when I returned home. I had to manually change the time zone for it to be corrected. All this despite my phone displaying the correct time as soon as it picked up the signal from the carrier.

Eagle1
Strider

@OddEngineerWelcome to the forums. This feature already exists via the mobile application Click on the Account option, then Advanced Settings, and turn "Automatic time zone" and "Automatic location" on.  As soon as your device syncs with the phone after changing time zones it updates the device based upon the phone's time.

Boost01
Runner

Unfortunately, although I see the "Automatic Time Zone" setting, I don't see any "Automatic Location".

Just to be sure, I went through all the Time Zones to look for one that was "Automatic" but couldn't find it. 

Eagle1
Strider

@Boost01  For me the Automatic Location option is two options below the Automatic Time Zone for me.  It is also below the time zone selection option  I'm using an Android Device and the latest Fitbit App.

My Screen displays:

Automatic Time Zone

Select Time Zone (which grey's out with the Automatic selection)

Automatic Location

Select Location (grey's out with Automatic selection)

Boost01
Runner

Not so much for me using IOS, Fitbit 2.39 (691)

IMG_2919.PNG

Maybe Fitbit can weigh in?

Eagle1
Strider

@Boost01Good to know.  At least you have the time zone functionality in iOS, Location is an Android only functionality that is required by Google for Bluetooth functionality according to other information on the forum.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

JimMorrin
Jogger

Just finished a trans Atlantic cruise. 5 time zones in 17 days. Internet access @$22 per day. Needless to say, I did not sync my Fitbit every zone change. I could change my iOS devices manually. Why not have the Fitbit get the time from the iOS or android device?

MacFly
Jogger

As a pilot, I travel a lot. It’s great that we have automatic time swapping connected to our phone.. but I have switched out my pilot watch for the fitbit to keep me achieving my fitness goals. Compared to the Citizen I used to wear, what’s lacking is the ability to have my home or zulu time zone always displayed.  This is a very uselful feature for those always on the fly. 

MacFly
Jogger

As a pilot, I travel a lot. It’s great that we have automatic time swapping connected to our phone.. but I have switched out my pilot watch for the fitbit to keep me achieving my fitness goals. Compared to the Citizen I used to wear, what’s lacking is the ability to have my home or zulu time zone always displayed.  This is a very uselful feature for those always on the fly. 

Marc594
Jogger

Fully agree, especially if you do not have internet access because you are in flight or you don't want to use roaming data.

ePatientDave
Base Runner

Maybe it's just me, but I have two problems here:

• It usually takes HOURS for the device (Charge 2 HR) to change time zones, after the iPhone does.
  • Regardless, if I sleep on a flight (e.g. BOS-LAX either way), it usually (but not always) fails to calculate the actual time: it ONLY calculates based on the clock time. 

I have to wonder: why is it not smart enough to record times in UTC (like GMT), so this is never an issue?

It seems downright weird that a modern software engineer would think the amount of sleep I got is determined by what my phone is saying at the moment. 

(For an extra dash of weird, the other night my phone decided I'd gone to San Diego in my sleep so when I woke up and it was light out, it was WEIRD for my phone to be saying 4:30 am, and it didn't help that my FitBit therefore decide I'd had about 4 hours of actual sleep.)

Macklin1
First Steps

Agree

find ut staggering that tine on versa cannot be changed withiut active internet connection 

without interbet and changing time zones watch is just a glorified step counter

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the Fitbit app. You can find more details on how to change the time zone here.

@OddEngineer, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.