Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
Robynduckett
First Steps

Please add cycling!

Dane50
First Steps

Hi

to improve your product so it can be used outside a gym my suggestion is that you in the app for smartphones make an outdoor bike use in the GPS in order to get the right information to be used. the bellow was sent to your support team, and they in sted of forwarding it had me to make the suggestion, and here it is.

First when I’m using the GPS in my iPhone as I did yesterday in run my run was 30,07 km, and I was using 34,415 steps burning 1,960 calories witch probably would be ok if I have been running at that speed. However when I’m synchronic with the charge2 the charge2 takes command and change the steps and calories therefore you have to make and application on your app using GPS called outdoor biking and with the opportunity to ad Cadence measures as a feature in order to have a complete system, and then it will be possible to messeure Watts as well . Using only bike in your system I’ll lose the km and then it is hopeles.

If I’m only use charge 2 it will loose tracking after max 1 km.

Therefore you have to improve your product in order to keep up with other systems.

krsteesharp
First Steps

I would love Fitbit to have  GPS tracking functionality for outdoor cycling. I’m not bothered about step-counting cycling but having other data like Distance, average speed, time and heart rate data would be great. C’mon Fitbit....you can do it I’m sure!!! 🚴‍:female_sign:

jjandawsmith
First Steps

I've asked for this a number of times for over 2-1/2 years that I've had a "FLEX". Fitbit has deaf ears.

Thebestjonbrown
First Steps

I agree and think this is a a great idea. I try to keep my hearherate at a ceetcertlevlevwhile ridinr so i keep having tottering my hands off the handle bars to chechemy pulse. If I had a screen in fitbit that allowed me to see speed, distance, and heart rate that would be very helpful. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers.

This feature was under consideration but after internal discussion, this feature is not currently currently planned for development. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

jjandawsmith
First Steps

Since you refuse to add gps bike tracking on Flex2, I will abandon my Flex2 and choose another brand. 700 + requests and your panel ignores this says volumes about your disregard to public interest. 

staaterwoman
Jogger

Hi, 

I'm frustrated that my charge2 does not successfully track my GPS tracks when I go for bike rides. I have pored through these forums and tried everything that people suggest, and it works about 1/8th of the time. I'm frustrated that this product is already faulty (I've only had it for 3 months).

So the workaround is to open the app on my phone and choose the "track" option before I begin. However, there is no bike option there! This is very frustrating, as I like to see my speed and mileage after I complete a ride.

Can you please add this feature? I'm sure I"m not the only one who wants to track cycling.

Thanks! 

Erica

KelseyxMorganx3
First Steps

One of my favorite ways to exercise is to ride my bike. When I do this, I want to be able to track my route/split times/etc. I want Fitbit to add a Bike option under the "Tracking" feature of the app. Currently, I have to track my rides as a Run, screenshot the route and all other information, delete that tracked exercise, and then enter the bike ride under "Log Previous" using the information I screenshotted from the Tracking feature. It makes it a huge hassle just because I want to save the information.

It seems like it would be super simple to just add Bike to the drop-down menu under "Tracking," where the only options are currently Run, Walk, or Hike.

MiDo12345
Recovery Runner

Dear fitbit,

Although not the first topic on the subject, others are old and usually locked. 

Please open bike tracking using phone gps on fitbit! This should be easily possible and in fact I find it an incredible flaw that it isn’t there alteady! People do more than running and hiking... 

The other suggestion off course would be to export HR data to Strava (from all the heart rate devices such as alta HR).

I think it completely unlogic to have to use another app/device while my alta HR and phone are perfectly capable to do excellent tracking of bike rides but because of software it is unable to integrate route/HR/exercise intensity...

DK4500
Jogger

In the exercise tracking menu on the app. It would be great to add bicycle to the men that currently only includes running, walking, and hiking

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @DK4500 I mmerged your suggestion into this one. Even the status is "currently not planned" you can support the idea by giving kudos.

Emmav73
Recovery Runner

When tracking exercise using the app, you can only track a run, walk or hike.  Why doesn't this include cycle???? Surely an easy and obvious addition. 

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Emmav73thanks for taking the time to share your idea with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your idea into this one. Even the current status is in "currently not planned", you can give kudos by clicking on the thumbs up button.

eric1098
Jogger

Please add "Bike" to the default list of Categorized Activities in Track Exercise. Run, Walk and Hike are not enough. Biking is an extremely common activity and should be included in the list. This way we don't have to try and re-categorize all our biking activities from Run to a custom category, this is really a pain!

It would be nice if we could also leverage our own custom categories in the Track Exercise option instead of the 3 default categories, Run, Walk and Hike.

DirkusMaximus
Jogger

It seems like Fitbit keeps ignoring these threads, and the one that they direct people to was 4 years old and had 31 pages of people asking for this feature over and over and over with no real response. Can we please add a cycling option, other than telling people to sync with some other app or use some other product?

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DirkusMaximus, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

DaveInAus
Jogger

I was sad to see this suggesting raised in 2015, locked and not planned by the developers. 

I recently bought an Alta HR for the specific purpose of tracking heart rate on my ride.

The Alta is small profile and perfect from a comfort perspective. 

I like to upload to STRAVA and share with the biking community. 

STRAVA will only accept a GPS tracked ride and there are only options for walk, hike, run.

Its 2019 and the HR feature adds a lot to the benefit of this change IMHO. 

Son lets have a ride option on the app for GPS tracking. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DaveInAus, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around.

JungleGymJam
Base Runner

When I tap Track Exercise in the Fitbit app, I'd like to be able to choose Bike. Right now the choices are Walk, Run & Hike. So I choose Run and then edit it later to Bike. If Bike could be made a choice from the beginning that would be a smoother experience. 

Thanks!

Jason

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JungleGymJam, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

Davidjk67
First Steps

Add more optionss as Bike to Fitbit app GPS and the ability to edit it after the fact.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Davidjk67, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of tracking Bike and other options using the Fitbit app and GPS, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. 

Hawk777
First Steps
I have a Charge4 which burns through battery if you use its GPS.

However, a lot of times I have my phone with me, so can use the app & phone’s GPS instead. The app’s GPS only tracks Hike, Run & Walk. Please add Bike.

Thanks
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hawk777, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.