Track Food For A Future Date

I would like to be able to track food for a future date on the fitbit app.  I often pack my breakfast and lunch for work the night before and it would be more logical to enter in these foods when the products and nutritional information are right in front of me. 

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Updated label

10 Comments
pamzella
Base Runner

I'd like to be able to log a food one day earlier (something I've been able to do in other food trackers).  Say I pack my breakfast and lunch the night before, and want to log the specific portions I packed while I remember them, not when I eat them, especially if on the go.  Logging on mobile is still a time suck compared to on a computer.  If it changes, it's plenty easy to delete.

Logging my food one day in advance helps me to see the meals I've planned compared to my expected minimum and make sure it fits with my calorie, fat, carb and protein goals for meals before dinner.  Or maybe I have a special dinner out planned, and I am logging it to see what I'll have "left" or need to "earn" with activity to cover the rest of my day.  Then when I am out and about on mobile, my "calories left" can adjust for what I have eaten/plan to eat more accurately.

Right now I am having to log them into "anytime" the day before to see the total, and then I can't even drag them into the next day, I have to enter them all over again..  

This would also help with the bug that recently added foods do not show up in the search option.  Right now, if I prepare a meal the night before and am copying the packaging, I have to enter it into the day before and leave it there, then click on the item and "log this food" to make it available to me on the right day(s).

tabaddon
Base Runner

Excellent suggestion. I've wanted to do this too, but I have a somewhat cumbersome work-around.

I find almost everything I want to log is inaccurate in Fitbit's database (if it's even in there) so I create almost all of my own entires (sometimes well in advance) by going to the Log page and clicking "Create a new food" or "Edit my foods" on the right. Here you can create, store, and edit custom entries for use anytime; they don't have to be logged immediately.

The main hassle is that those things won't show up in the Favorites and Foods lists on the Log page until they're actually logged. To log something that's saved but not shown there, click "Edit my foods", then click on a food name, then "Log this food". It could be made easier and more intuitive to do with fewer clicks, but it works for now. (Are you listening, Fitbit? Too many clicks everywhere. There should be a "Log this food" link along with "Edit" and the often-nonfunctioning "Delete" links. The Foods list on the Log page could have a "recently created" tab.)

Since you can't log something for the next day (I agree it'd be great if we could, or even for a date further out), you might at least be able to create entries this way and then log them whenever it's convenient for you. I use this method and log most of my day first thing in the morning to help me keep focused on what meals/snacks I've planned. I hope this helps until logging is improved.

Annie97
Recovery Runner

I would really like this, too.  I am trying to plan for a weekend event and wanted to plug in what I know I'm going to be eating, but I can't access any future dates.  It would be a great help to have this functionality.

kmhpsych
Jogger

I the newest version of the iphone app, you can do this.  When you are logging the food item, right between where you choose the meal you ate that food item and the "save and add more" button is the date.  Click on that, and you can scroll through.  It lets you log up to one month ahead.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Great idea! Thanks for posting! 

PatriciaMc
Base Runner

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Track-Food-For-A-Future-Date/idi-p/363588

this link doesn't work

mastersellen
First Steps

I'd like to suggest users be able to enter foods they estimate eating the next day (or even week), and then be able to edit based on what they actually eat.  I lead a diabetes prevention group where we encourage planning ahead, so this feature would jive nicely with what we "teach".  That way, the user would then know how many calories they would need to burn based on what they anticipate eating in order to maintain/loose/gain weight.  I think it is genius and would love to plan ahead myself if and when the app is able to do so.  Thanks for your consideration!

Diana38
Jogger

I agree this would be so much easier! I weigh and pack everything for lunch and snacks the night before and I have to write it all down when I could just be logging it for the next day.

pcarroll812
First Steps

I would love to see a feature that would allow to log food for an upcoming day. Sometimes I meal prep and have to write down what I measured out so I can log it the next day. Adding this would help a lot of other people I’m sure! 🙂

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on Fitbit app and Website Dashboard. You can find more details here: How do I track my food with the Fitbit app?

@jpramsey, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.