Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
electric-city
Premium User
Jogger

Hi,

For over a year now I've been tracking all of my foods with Fibit - and it's all been great so far (thanks!)

I'd like to propose adding Fiber information to the mobile app dashboard. Due to certain GI condition I'm trying to follow "low fiber" regiment (keep daily fiber consumption around/below 15g. I'm able to check "current fiber" with the browser, however it would be really cool if it's part of the mobile app dashboard too.

It's not actually specific to "low fiber", it could be equally important to people who want the opposite - following more common/less arguable recommentations to improve BM (I apologize 🙂

Many thanks in advance

Moderator Edit: Erroneous labels

electric-city
Premium User
Jogger

I second an option to quickly track fiber with mobile app. I'm following a "low fiber" regimen (below 15g a day), but it would be equally important for people who try to increase fiber consumption for whatever reason 🙂 (or just trying to validate/experiment with what works better - low/med or high fiber). Many thanks!

haleyfarmer01
First Steps

I would love to be able to see my macronutrient breakdown on the mobile app. I know it shows on the computer, but I rely on my phone for quick checks before I eat. 

dntfeedthemnkys
First Steps

+1 to this. 

Was a massive surprise, given the app is otherwise a "one stop shop". 

Calorie counting is not as helpful for achieving your goals as monitoring macro nutrients. 

llpruitt22
First Steps

I currently use the app "Macros" to track my intake of carb/fat/protein ratios which I absolutely love. Since everyone has different goals (fat loss or muscle gain), people have different ratios they'd like to track. Unfortunately Fitbit only accounts for the number of calories only. Please Please Please add more options to the food log that accounts for macros as a a percent of your caloric intake goal and not just calories!!!!

SithentheSege
First Steps

Yes, I too dream of a tile with a graphical representation of carb, fat, and protein intake.

Even a piechart on the food long page would be helpful.

Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this idea! 

Randy0222
Jogger
Id like you to be able to display nutritional info( fat, carbs, protein) based on daily intake either in graphical or tabular format. Seems like it would be relatively simple seeing how you display calories.
al0409
Jogger

I would like to see like a pie chart or any chart that shows the amount of carbs, protein, surgars, ect.  in the mobile app version on Android.  I know that the Fittness Pal app does this but I would like to see it in just the fit bit app instead of running two different apps.

hassi2k7
Base Runner

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately the fitbit app doesn't track any information about protein, carbs and fat, so its impossible to see how much macronutrients I eat each day. Without the tracking of real nutrition facts, the app is useless for a real athlete. Please take a look at the MSN Health & Fitness app for some inspiration. 

Comfortable Nutrition facts & macronutrients tracking is a must have for every fitness tracker.

best,

daniel

agreed! It's not even about being a "real athlete", it's is about being able to properly assess the nutrient density of our diet.This is key for tracking overall health. Please consider addingthe ability to see fats, proteins, and carbs, as well as vitamins and minerals (which are also vital for health, but often overlooked in food tracking apps!)

Thanks!

hassi2k7
Base Runner

"it's is about being able to properly access the nutrient density of our diet.This is key for tracking overall health."

you are totally right. It's not all about calorie count, so the breakdown into fats, proteins and carbs is a very basic feature of a nutriution tracker.

I also would like to get a summary of overall nutrition (including vitamin A, iron, calcium, etc). When I purchased Premium I was under the impression that would be included within the reports.

The data is there, linked to the foods we eat. A full nutrition report will be wonderful, and helpful to many when seeing the doctor.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Agreed. Currently looking at lchf diets which require tracking carbs as low intake. This would be easier if fitbit gave better reporting and goals around carbs, fat, protein and sugar intake.
MattS-1977
First Steps

This is my iOS 8.1 FitBit App custom add page.  When you click "Switch to Detailed View," all the available lines show up so you can put in cholesterol, etc.Custom Add Page

AngelaBauman
First Steps
I would like the IOS app to be able to allow items like sodium, fat, protein, etc to have goals set and track on the dashboard just like water and calories. This would be great for people on diet restrictions.
pengebretson
First Steps

I love the daily challenge but it is a major pain in the but to have to set it up every day with the same people.  It would be really nice to simply create 1 daily challenge with a "repeat until" or reoccurance option. 

That way I won't need to remember to create and invite my friends to the exact same challenge every day.

soonerchick
First Steps

The fitbit website itself does give a breakdown of carbs, fat and protein consumption in your food log.  Unfortunately, that breakdown doesn't carryover to the mobile application.  I have no idea if fitbit developers and programmers see posts like these, but I'd sure love to be able to see the breakdown on my iphone when I'm not in front of a computer.

I was actually hoping to find where there was an even better breakdown - where the fats were down to saturated and poly/mono unsaturated.  The nutrition info is all out there - why can't we manage it within the dashboard site?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That'll be wonderful to have included in the app. It also makes it easier to see if needing to eat a bit more protein,.. when wanting to eat in balance or deciding to eat a extra piece of fruit,.. Cat Happy

EricainHI
Recovery Runner

Does premium do this? I thought it did but I don't have it. If premium does show this does anyone know if you can see it on the iOS app?

LaMarchand
Recovery Runner

Good morning,

Have you thoght about adding tracking for carbs and protein? I would love to be able to do that on my fit bit.

Thanks,

Lori

Jenevieve
First Steps
The app "lose it" has a feature i think fitbit would greatly benefit by adding. A pie chart of the percentage of carbs, fat and protein of the food we log daily to get a better understanding of what type of food we are eating daily.
chuck74
First Steps

I had to purchase the one because the flex will not fit around my wrist. Now even the wrist band for the one will not fit around wrist for sleep mode. Does anyone have the same problem and if you do what can be done about it or is these products only for peolpe who are not overweight.

Philcarpy
Jogger

This is a great idea.

Would also like to be able to set a target level for the Carb:Fat:Protein ratios - same as in the MyNetDiary app. Depending on whether you are trying to lose weight or increase muscle you will have different targets for this.

geminiwitch
Recovery Runner

I wish this was available on the app.  I kind of see it on the dashboard on the comptuer, but not really in the app.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.