Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
Filargiro
First Steps

It would be great to have indicators that say how much grams of fat, carbs and protein are logget an how much are expected in the daily plan.
Just to show what I mean, it's something like in the app "lifesum". A "In vs Expected" indicator...

Thanks

Luca

sharra65
Premium User
Jogger

I couldn't agree more!

Hopea_oc
Jogger

If you would just display the recommended grams of Fat, Fiber, Carbs, Sodium and Protein above or below the actual in the daily total window in would be a tremendous help.

cpb
Stepping Up

I would also like to see this.  If fitbit added this feature, I wouldn't need to use additional apps such as My Fitness Pal as well.

cpb
Stepping Up

The ideal would be able to set a custom goal for the number of fat, protein and carb grams per day which would translate into a calorie target,

cpb
Stepping Up

I agree that DAILY nutrient breakdown with the ability to set custom macronutrient goals would be ideal and would stop the need for using other apps such as MyFitnessPal with FitBit 

anixon045
First Steps

I would like the Daily Calorie Composition on the app please.  I like to keep track of how many fats, carbs, sugars, proteins, etc I've consumed in a day.  Thanks!

pamzella
Base Runner

I love it!  I realize that real estate is precious on the app dashboard, but right now, there are x calories left AND the in/out, I bet we could at least choose 2 things to report on besides calories (like carbs and protein, or sugar and fat, let us pick in the settings) without having to open a browser on the phone to see them.

anixon045
First Steps

Sounds good. I understand about real estate, maybe it would be possible to
put the composition on the food plan page. So when you are adding your
food you see your totals for the day and can decide on the best options for
your next food choices. Lol...that bag of chips or carrot sticks. 🙂

Thank you,

Andrea Nixon

Moderator edit: personal info removed

flygirl715
First Steps

I agree. I was looking through my daily nutrition percentages for this past week and thought that it would be really awesome to see a graph of my intake. I want to decrease carbs and increase protein and good fats, and it would be beneficial to see graphically if I am succeeding. Please do this one Fitbit!

LuckyNolita
First Steps

I love, love, love my Fitbit Flex but two things I would really love to see are the nutritional summary bar and food scanner to use from the phone app.  I track my carbs not calories and also need to watch my sodium, so to know throughout the day where my counts are would be extremely helpful especially when dining out.  And the food scanner would make logging so much easier, this way all of my info would all be on the Fitbit app and I wouldn't have to use another app in addition.  For me these things would make the Fitbit Flex perfect!!

RCWestcott
Stepping Up

Perhaps not JUST the current summary on the app dashboard, but what about making available a summary of the vitamin and mineral RDA percentages.  That way I'd know not only how many calories I've eaten, but whether I'm running low on something near the end of the day, so that I can adjust my supper plans to make up for what I'm deficient (i.e. cook liver if I'm lower in iron that day).

leonephraim
First Steps

I'd like to see this implemented as well

k-y
Jogger

I would love to see daily nutrition totals! & love how they track these (target & actual) on this everyday health/calorie counter site, as an example: http://www.everydayhealth.com/calorie-counter.aspx

It tracks your targets for calories, total fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, fiber, sugar & protein. If I'm over my sugars/carbs/proteins, I'm 'in the red'; if I need more fiber, it lets me know how far off I am (example: goal of 30g/day & if I'm only at 13g after logging my food, I know I'd better get my butt in gear & down some more fiber! ;))

k-y
Jogger

I would love to see daily nutrition totals! & love how they track these (target & actual) on this everyday health/calorie counter site, as an example: http://www.everydayhealth.com/calorie-counter.aspx

It tracks your targets for calories, total fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, fiber, sugar & protein. If I'm over my sugars/carbs/proteins, I'm 'in the red'; if I need more fiber, it lets me know how far off I am (example: goal of 30g/day & if I'm only at 13g after logging my food, I know I'd better get my butt in gear & down some more fiber! ;))

Status changed to: Duplicate
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for your suggestion! I recommend checking out this established post on the same subject.

I'll go ahead and close this as a duplicate.

steviej
First Steps

I totally concur.  As a recent bariatric surgery patient, tracking protein is much more important to me right now than calories or carbs.  Fitbit, Jawbone, and other devices are suggested by many weight loss services as a way to log food, record water intake, manage food intake, etc.  The primary goal each day for me is to maintain sufficient protein intake and being to see the current total on my iPhone would be quite helpful and make a good product better.  Seriously, it is a simple software code write.  I can see it fine on the desktop application, it should be easily adaptable to the mobile apps.

Kat50
First Steps

I would also like this feature.  I'm tracking protein and it was the first thing I looked for on my iphone app and was very surprised the information was not available.   I will be sending them this request.

Mel_S
Runner

I was just thinking the same thing and started searching to see if there was a way to do it I just wasn't famililar with yet. Would definetly love to see this!

Status changed to: Existing Feature
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

This feature currently exists on the Food Logging page at https://www.fitbit.com/foods/log

If you scroll down past your Food Plan, you'll see a section labeled "Daily Totals". This breaks down the details of your day's Calories, Fat, Fiber, Carbs, Sodium, and Protein. It will also give you a caloric percentage breakdown between Carbs, Fats, and Protein.

Status changed to: Existing Feature
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

This data currently exists on the Food Logging page at https://www.fitbit.com/foods/log

If you scroll down past your Food Plan, you'll see a section labeled "Daily Totals". This breaks down the details of your day's Calories, Fat, Fiber, Carbs, Sodium, and Protein. It will also give you a caloric percentage breakdown between Carbs, Fats, and Protein.

pabloastorga
Jogger

Hi there Fitbit team!

I'd like to request a feature that I don't see being available as of today.

As a Premium user, I can look back at my weekly food report and see how I did last week in terms of protein, fat and carb intake. The report also tells me whether I was within the recommended/desired range or if I exceeded it. 

I'd like to be able to see this for the current week, so that at any point in time I know whether I'm eating more carbs and missing some protein, whether I'm on track with the amount of fat I need, etc. You get the point. 

The next step would be for Fitbit to recommend what's best for me, but for now I'm only asking to have tiles available on the dashboard (both web and mobile) that allow me to see how I'm doing this week, very much like what I can see in terms of steps, floors and calorie intake (to name a few).

Feel free to reach out if you have questions. 

Thanks,

Pablo

_M
Stepping Up

It would be great to see a nutrient breakdown (Protein, Carbs, Fats) of consumed foods on the mobile app. 

blainsmith
First Steps

I also want to see this. Not just in ratio form, but in gram breakdowns showing me my daily macros consumed. This already exists in the web Dashboard.

stevefit
First Steps

"At my age" I must keep track of my fiber intake; I am hoping Fitbit has a way of tracking it.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.