Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
ColossalWhale
Jogger

Macronutrient tracking/goal features seem logical and are sorely needed to make the FitBit app an "all-in-one" fitness/health app. These features exist in other food-tracking apps and it is the only major feature the FitBit app seems to be missing on this side of things.

1. Allow us to set what % and/or gram of each macronutrient we want to consume and make it a goal that we can achieve each day.

2. Provide recommended macronutrient ratios for people who are new to tracking them. For example, if someone is trying to lose weight it might be useful to recommend that they raise their protein intake.

3. Right now it seems to only display % of macronutrients consumed or calories of each type. However, a simple way to view grams of each would be better and compliment reaching calorie/macronutrient goals. Food labels display grams of each macronutrient, so it is only logical that we can track this in the app. It's easy to recognize that you need "25 more grams of protein" and then check a protein bar label and see that it will give you "15 of those 25 grams of protein."

NannetteB
First Steps

It would also be nice if I could set the amount of Protein needed per day... 

NannetteB
First Steps

I was going to make this exact same recommendation... glad you beat me to it! I am on a diet program that requires specific amounts of protein per day of my total calorie intake. I would LOVE to be able to set that protein marker as a daily goal (daily protein intake is quite a bit harder to meet than I thought it would be). I agree that since the amounts are already recorded under the calorie intake, should be easy enough to be able to set a daily goal....

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be great if we could change the default macro settings in the food log to reflect personal needs or goals. The default settings allow me to go far beyond what I would like and still be considered "in range". I was hoping I could avoid using 2 apps: 1 for fitness tracking, and another for a food log. But since, the fitbit app won't allow me to personalize macros, I'll have to go back to My Fitness Pal. It would be more streamlined to be able to do this in the Fitbit app rather than use 2 separate apps.

WinHac
Stepping Up

Allow me to set macronutrient goals and suggest foods to eat to meet them.

PipWasHere
Recovery Runner

I definitely would like to see the Food Log include a nutritional breakdown of food consumed beyond the simple subtotals already available. The food database includes RDA percentages for fat, cholesterol, vitamins, minerals, and so on. Why does it not already include the running totals for each, given the foods already logged, especially the vitamins and minerals consumed? It would allow us to track our entire nutritional intake, as well as our Calorie intake.  The totals could be displayed in a RDA style label for easy reading.  In addition, custom Dashboard totals for specific nutrients could be added.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Miyriam! I've merged your suggestion into a main thread with the same request regarding Tracking Macros, you can place another Feature Suggestion for your request regarding Micros. 

JTVadasz
First Steps

I just got my fitbit charge 2 on April 7th of this year.   I find extreme value in its easy to manage user interface.   I like the macro nutrient percentage breakdown it gives you for daily totals.  I am curious if there is a plan to include a total of nutrients and vitamins for daily intake anytime in the future.  I used to use the myfitness pal and it had this feature.   It was very beneficial for me.   

Thank you for for time.

Rebecs1993
Recovery Runner

If you use the spark people app that you can connect with your fitbit account it has all that stuff and shows your macros. You can log your food there and it will show up in your fitbit food log. I find it much easier to use that than I do the fitbit food log. I am not sure if you can link your mu fitness pal account with fit bit or not

JTVadasz
First Steps
I willlook intoand see if it works. Thanks for responding.
Brando1
First Steps

It is very convenient to be able to track the daily calories which go up and down when you adjust serving size. There are other ways to be healthy besides calorie counting and other food nutrients that people need to count based on medical differences. It would be great if we could  also count the grams for carbohydrates or sodium, sugar, fiber, or cholesterol and have them adjust based on the portion size as well! Percentage does not help people who are eating low-fat or low-carb or low-sodium for their own personal healthy nutrition. If you could count the carbs or fat or protein the same way you count the calories that would be great!

Schuyla
First Steps

Here is a suggestion for developers... with the Nutrition part of the app. I would like to see a macro calculator added in. There are a lot of people now calculating their macros. I’m personally on the Keto Lifestyle which deals with Macros and it would help if I didn’t have to jump from one ap to another and enter my food for the day multiple times.

Anonymous_Girl
First Steps

I would love if the Fitbit app food section were able to track additional features for an overall summary: perhaps sugars, saturated fat, and carbohydrates consumed? While the calorie feature is important, I’d like to know specifically the quality of the food I’m eating and make steps in the right direction. 

Sarahmd14
First Steps

My biggest complaint about the mobile app is not having a macro tracker. Macro tracking is very useful when trying to keep a food log and make sure I am getting enough nutrients for the day. Calories in my diet are not nearly as important as macro tracking is. 

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Sarahmd14! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post as it has been released. Woman Happy

JohnnyB777
Jogger

I'm sure that this has probably been requested before, and I know this is viewable from a PC-based Web Browser, but P L E A S E add the daily "Carb Count" to the Mobile App in plain view.  Just search the internet of Keto, Paleo or Low Carb dieting and see how HUGE this is out there.  What a shame we have to load a competitive tracking app to our phones and do double-entry to make up for this crucial shortfall in features that would thrill the largest dieting group in the world today.  Please bump this to the top of your enhancements. - John

TriathlonGirl
First Steps

It would be great to be able to track macronutrient totals on the phone app. Similarly, it would be great to be able to make goals about macronutrients.

dibanno
First Steps

Hi:

I would like to see the daily totals for carbs, protein, and fat on the app instead of going to the website.  I know you have percentages but I prefer totals.  Thank you!

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @dibanno

Thanks for sharing your idea. I moved it here, as this one is very similar to yours. You can still vote for this one. Keep sharing your suggestions!

kevinbarnett
Jogger

I'd like to see a daily summary of carbs, protein and fat gram counts in the ios and android app. It's on the website app, but not on either of the mobile apps.

Others have suggested using myfitness pal. However, it would be a lot easier to just have this in the app. The data is there. I honestly don't see why it wasn't there from the beginning. 

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like on the website.

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 7.19.01 PM.png

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kevinbarnett, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

RJN01
First Steps

We should be able to view our total macros in the app just like the online website shows. Please fix this

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @RJN01, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.