Track breath length

It'd be great if the device provided some measure of breath length to track and encourage slower breathing. Some degree of measurement is already provided during the Relax exercise so I assume the capability is some way there.
4 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @rodrifernandez, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option track breath length on the Fitbit app. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Fbitter
Recovery Runner

Great suggestion!   Would also be great if it could notify me (eg. vibrate) when my breathing becomes quick.  

My understanding is that it is very common that a shift to fast breathing (when not exercising) is associated with high stress, and this makes the stress worse.  Becoming aware of and breaking this cycle is a key to keeping stress down.

Semvn
Base Runner

I also like the breathing app on the Charge 4, but I find it very limited: the same exercise for 2 or 5 minutes, that's it.

There are much more interesting breathing exercises, for different purposes.

• The Wim Hof-kind of exercises use frequent breathing to increase blood-flow and feel warm and ignited.
  • Apnoe training uses gradually increasing breath holds to increase the lung volume and desensitise the brain.
  • Sleep exercises use shorter breaths and long holds en exhales to lower the pulse.

Ideally, you could customize any program (length of each of the three stages and increase or decrease on repetition) and upload it to the watch for training and tracking.

jfb9301
Base Runner

7 breaths per minute is too fast for me. Drives my heart rate up.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.