Tracking Exercise: Horseback Riding - Horse Riding - Equestrian

I know it's perhaps not the most common exercise, but common enough and it's incredibly difficult to gauge what kind of calory burn and value this kind of exercise has, because - well the horse does most of the work! There is a huge difference in riding styles and how this effects my own exercise level: trail riding can be just walking - where the rider has little exercise, but if you trot it's quite the exercise for the rider too. Then there is the distance aspect, which is invalid when you do dressage or arena riding... Finally jumping has quite a different impact again. 

Since I work for a digital agency, I know that you must have business logic to build out expensive new features both for the sensors, the logic/algorithm and how you present it on the web. I know it's a huge effort. But with an equestrian tracker, you will have a captive audience and a weathy niche market who will be loyal customers. You'll need to do little marketing as this is definitely an industry/audience who are all interconnected and exchange ideas, infos and new products readily. 

And if you want to go all out, you could combine it with a FitBit for the horse - because most horse owners also want to monitor the stress on their horse as well as their horses' fitness. 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

200 Comments
AKhorserider
First Steps

I'm very new to having a fitbit, but as riding and all of the associated farm chores are my main exercise, I would love to be able to track it as part of my daily exercise, instead of just having my steps and stairclimbing skyrocket.

RideOn
First Steps

I use the workout mode when I ride, and hope it's basing my caloric burn on my heartrate.  Barn chores are worth every step, though!

KirbyMom
First Steps
Yes please!! Need a simple way to disable steps. My horse and I won lots of Fitbit awards yesterday, but not from MY steps 😉 I manually entered horseback riding after the fact, and I thought it would override and replace the activity/steps earned at that time, but it just added it 😞
Onafox
First Steps
I could really use this to track my mileage and exercise
AMKolstad19
Jogger

Has there been any progress or news about this?  Just need to be able to log the work out, go the app to label the workout as horseback riding, and then it automatically negates any steps done during that workout.  I know I burn calories because I'm sweating and I can feel my heart racing, but as many people have mentioned, the amount of steps is astronomically more than I would normally do in that same distance.  Not to mention, both of our horses are gaited and I feel like it counts every single step taken.  Anyone found a solution?!

Beckyandhorses
First Steps
No I have not heard of anything from Fitbit about this I feel ya I ride at
least 5 horses a day and get all there steps. I do wish Fitbit would come
up with something...
Jojoflojo
Recovery Runner
Yes I agree! I have had to start riding using the bike option so there are no steps but a route and the as it has used the GPS I can export it as a tcx file to endomondo and then change the activity to horse riding it then imports back into Fitbit. I can then delete the original bike ride on Fitbit. You loose the map in Fitbit but you still have the map in endomondo. I do the same for my exercise classes. I feel that these should not be included in my daily steps target.

Sent from my iPhone
KimberL80
Stepping Up

I just received the Fitbit Charge 2 and though I really like the heart rate reading, I would love a way to accurately track my ride. I ride my horse at least 3x a week and do not want the extra steps, not to mention stairs, counting. I have heard I can put it under biking, but I would like to be able to choose Horseback riding and have it remove any steps or stairs it counted during that time period. I initially started it as a Workout and then changed the name to Driving, but that still did not remove my steps so I just deleted it and manually logged it as Horseback riding, because if it is going to inaccurate in steps it might as well have a title that represents what I am actually doing. 

Any news on when a possible fix for this will be generated?

pammalamma
First Steps
I got my Fitbit over a year ago and still no word on getting this sport on the app. I know other fitness watches have this function so I would hope Fitbit will get it going too.

Sent from my iPhone
Naildriver
Stepping Up
I think they would have worked out this problem if they could.to many
variables.
Xrayctprof
First Steps

I would love to have horseback riding as a dedicated exercise setting. I work hard while riding, work up a sweat and would really like to know my heart rate and approximate calorie burn. I ride dressage as well

Naildriver
Stepping Up
Dressage is truly exercise.I just love to play with my horse. Hes teaching
me alot.I can't get enough. Winston Churchill: 'No hour of life is lost that
is spent in the saddle. It would nice to track the exercise. A cool app. Is
AllTrails.
Doris1
First Steps

It would be great if horse riding was available as a standard activity to select and track your route and hr but not count the steps. I recorded over 22,000 steps yesterday but a lot of them were from riding.

Boomtrooper
First Steps

There are quite a few messages from equestrians on here. From a horse riding and training perspective, useful features would be:

1. A dedicated label!

2. GPS tracking for trail riding/hacking with distance, speed, elevation and probably heart rate

3. Two interval timers, one working on timed intervals and one working on distance intervals - an essential in equine training

4. A vibration alert at a user defineable speed - again a must for racehorses and eventers needing to train at a set pace

5. A stopwatch with a user defineable countdown and count up with vibrations at minute intervals. In eventing, we have "minute markers" on course to judge speed and a good vibration long enough to be noticed would be great

6. In a perfect world (!) the fitbit would be able to recognise walk, trot, canter and gallop!

Alison2016
Stepping Up

As a competitive horse rider I am bitterly disappointed my new Fitbit counts my horses steps, makes the Fitbit useless for me 😩

Seeing how long ago this issue was reported to Fitbit and still no fix is crap.  Kicking myself I didn't find out about this issue before I spent my $$$$

Beckyandhorses
First Steps
Yes it sucks, and I have called Fitbit and they where less than helpful
about this issue. Sorry I was not more of an help
pammalamma
First Steps
I agree. It's disappointing. I know other apps have a horseback riding component. I just go with my horse steps as my own because I know I'm working hard aboard doing dressage, my sport. Or I take off the watch during rides. 😒

Sent from my iPhone
BigWhale
First Steps
Since FitBit offered no solution, I decided to let it go and I went with
another product from a different company. Too bad.
tomrabbit
Jogger

Another disappointed horse rider here... I ride up to 7 times a week, and my horse did my steps for me before midday today.  Why would the 'Horseback riding' activity count the steps?  Maybe even a range of horse riding options required?  Schooling uses plenty of calories, whereas gentle hacking is less strenuous - I guess the user heartrate shows that.  I also want to use GPS to track my rides out.  Come on Fitbit, get your act together!

Alison2016
Stepping Up

Yes I agree a range of horse riding activities would be useful. I used to wear a bodymedia armband years ago and it logged me having a much higher intensity of exercise training dressage than my gym and treadmill workouts!.
I spent ages the other night logging my riding time as various other activities, bike riding/ driving etc but none deleted the steps logged during that time period.  very annoyed and frustrated. Send them a complaint but after looking at previous posts I guess it will be ignored.

socalgirl_77
First Steps

I just got my Fitbit Charge 2.  I also ride horses.  I dont need to have it as an activity (but it would be nice).  I just dont want my fitbit to add steps when i'm horsebackriding.  I guess I'll try to remember to put it into bike mode when i'm riding.  I'll try that and see how it works.  I do burn a lot of calories riding cuz i jump and do dressage.   It should catch that calorie burn by my heartrate.  I just dont want it loging steps when i'm riding.  That is my only consern.  Wish there was a way to just turn off the steps when riding and then turn them back on when i'm done.   

Naildriver
Stepping Up
Hey fibit you can address this sitch any time now. Feel free to jump in
anytime.
RideOn
First Steps

I use the 'workout' mode to track my calorie burn.  It still counts the steps (which I dislike), but it seems to be relatively accurate for calories burned... at least when there are not a lot of breaks or down time during the ride.

If I have a long lesson with multiple breaks throughout (like a clinic, for example, where you spend a fair bit of time listening/watching others with high intensity work in between), the calorie burn seems too high.

StephMcCallion
First Steps

I would love to see horse riding as an option on the Fitbit. I am looking into buying a fitness tracking watch, the Fitbit was the front runner; but won't until this feature is added as it is a main part of my exercise. It needs to be able to stop counting steps but continue to monitor everything else I think! I'd love to see some people who go jogging or just weights in the gym have a go at sitting trot around the arena a few times and then tell me the horse does most of the work!! 

pammalamma
First Steps
Hi Steph. I totally agree. I decided to let Fitbit count my steps as I ride due to the effort my body makes at balance and stomach crunches with every sitting trot step. But I agree the riding component can't be that hard to design. I think everyone should keep asking for it.

Sent from my iPhone
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.