Update step algorithm to work with hiking poles

It has been shown that when properly used, hiking poles add to the safety and comfort while hiking and is highly encouraged.

Unfortunately due to the fact that the tracker is on the arm and the hiking pole keeps the arm from swinging in a way that steps will not be properly counted while hiking with poles. 

Please update your algorithm so that it will work while the user is hiking with poles .

I noticed that there is no label that is appropriate for my suggestion. This feature should be added to all of the arm based trackers. 

Moderator edit: Labels

23 Comments
fitbtuser
Jogger

I vote for this!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you  for taking the time to share your feedback on the matter @Rich_Laue

I could absolutely see how adding this option could be very helpful on all Fitbit devices.

Let's see what other users have to say.

gmagg46
Jogger

We will be walking the 115 kilometer Sarria to Santiago portion of the Camino de Santiago, in Spain next year.
Trekking poles are highly recommended for this 7 day trek, as the trail is made up of a variety of surfaces ranging from pavement, dirt, rocks, and mud!  Being able to use my Charge 2, and trekking poles, to train for this trek would be great!  Please consider this request.

@Rich_Laue wrote:

It has been shown that when properly used, hiking poles add to the safety and comfort while hiking and is highly encouraged.

Unfortunately due to the fact that the tracker is on the arm and the hiking pole keeps the arm from swinging in a way that steps will not be properly counted while hiking with poles. 

Please update your algorithm so that it will work while the user is hiking with poles .

I noticed that there is no label that is appropriate for my suggestion. This feature should be added to all of the arm based trackers. 

Moderator edit: Labels

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I completely agree with this suggestion.  I hike with hiking poles all the time, and yesterday I went on a well measured 11 mile state park, two peak hike.  I had been gearing up for this for a while (2 years ago I would get winded after a mile of flat walking).  The 11 mile hike measured 8.5 miles for me, 9 miles for a friend who was also using poles.  I've hiked one of the peaks in the past, without poles, and it measured properly, so it's obviously the poles throwing things off.  Proper pole use means that your arms don't swing all the way back, it's more like a half-arc swing.  You would think FitBit could create an algorithm for this.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@SunsetRunner this request would, at best, make step counting more accurate. 

I doubt it will helohwith distance while hiking, since there usually isn't a consistant strike while in the woods. Where you using the GPS with the resulting map displayed? 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I had GPS turned on, and it mapped the route accurately.  (Crowder Mountain and King's Pinnacle in NC)  It also gave me 177 flights, whereas it gave my friend 195 flights.  (I have a Versa, she has a Charge 2.)

I don't have a solution, but I do think that if Fitbit is going to have an exercise choice called hiking then they should figure out what to do if poles are used.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Oh i agree especially since hiking poles are highly recomended for the hiker's safety .

Floors are still measured by changes in air pressure, and not very reliable on windy days or with changes in the atmosphere .

If you go to the map on the web, you can see changes in altitude based on GPS. However GPS on the woods has its drawbacks since it is strongly a line of sight technology. A heavy canopy can affect the data, and for altitude there must be a connection to five satellites.

Talik
Jogger

I got 27 flights of stair for 3,300' in 3 miles while using trekking poles.  How disappointing!  I am a backpacker and use trekking pole almost all the time as do most backpackers.  If I find another device that works better with trekking poles, I'm likely to switch.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hello @Talik, I'm not sure what your point is .How many steps did you get for the 3 miles . Changes in altitude is not suppose to be counted by stairs, a stair count is when the user quickly climbs up a set of stairs .

Your getting stair count mixed with changes in altitude, they are not the same .

As for stairs, usually not many are found when hiking, but they need to be a climb of 10 done over a short period of time .Take to long to climb that 10 no floor is awarded .

However the change in altitude is recorded and may be accessed through the log on the web. 

One problem with stairs is that they are monitored by air pressure. simple changes in the atmosphere may give false floors. 

debbey
Base Runner

I'm SO disappointed right now !This is my 1st hike in many, many years. I've got 3ruptured discs, bone on bone in my ankles, yet I STILL DID IT!!I did use poles for my safety, but was NOT given the correct amount of steps! A hiking partner has a Garmin, he's got 19,200steps & didn't use poles. I got 4000steps less (plus I was up after midnight gaining steps & up earlier than him too),so I should be getting credit for quite a bit more steps! I CERTAINLY put in the effort! Iso there any way to fix this so I can get proper credit for my hard work! Any suggestions?!!

Thanks,       Debbey 

AnnRob
Jogger

I vote for this. Very disappointing that there is no way to accurately count steps when hiking with hiking poles

Jasdaddy
First Steps

Yes please! Hiking poles have saved my knees and I use them every time I walk or hike. A more accurate step count when using them would be very welcome.

BZilla
Jogger

Don’t know how you’d do it, but if you guys can add the ability to select with or w/o poles that’d be killer. I testing by counting my steps while ascending with trekking poles today. Tested 100 steps at a time. Turns out my Fitbit counting almost consistently half of the steps I did while using poles. 

CaptainBablam
First Steps

Using the poles right/left (as opposed to simultaneously) the inspire HR registers 1/4 - 1/2 of my actual steps. Got some AI/ML in this little device? Maybe we can put it in training mode! 😉 Love the product, would love to see an update that addresses this. Thanks DevTeam.

Geoff899
Jogger

Yes an accurate measure of steep with walking poles would be extremely useful. I am post knee surgery and using walking plus for a little bit of support and I expect that I will still be using them for sometime when I get back onto rough ground. It is really useful to know the distances I am covering as I push that little bit further each day. So yes a walking pole algorithm would be extremely useful.

JerryGNYC
Jogger

Please add walking pole usage to your detection algorithm. My wife and I both use them. Thanks.

Carolhwitz
Recovery Runner

We really need this!  Please update the algorithm for hikers.  Plus, my daughter pushes a stroller when walking and has the same problem. I have an old Fitbit One, but it is starting to break down.  I really would like to have an option!

jimjhalpin
Jogger

I just started hiking with poles last month. 

I immediately noticed my hiking activities were not getting tracked at all by fitbit.

Add another vote requesting you track walking with poles!

Jim H.

TeresaHart
Jogger

I have a bad back and bad knees and need to use trekking poles whenever I do an extended walk.  It is discouraging to see that the gps has accurately "traced" my path but not "counted" the steps or miles, even though I have "selected" that I am going for a "walk" on my Fitbit Charge 3.

Is there a way to fix this? Please? Pretty please!?

Lovealbatross74
First Steps

Absolutely PLEASE sort this out, poles are an incredibly common hiking tool. Surely just select with or without poles and the tracker ignores excessive arm swinging for tracked hikes/walks? Or even being able to select as an option in auto recognised walks?  Come on Fitbit, you can do this!

Jas155
First Steps

I just started using a Fitbit Charge 4.  I’m so disappointed that it doesn’t accurately track my hikes when I use hiking poles.  It works fine for regular walks.  

straverhan
First Steps

I vote for this too!  I made the choice to start using poles while hiking for multiple reasons only to discover that Fitbit can't seem to track my hike (steps and every other metric) anymore.  My 3 hour hike was recorded as an 11 minute walk!!!

debbey
Base Runner
You can try to put your Fitbit around your ankle. I did this after I had
surgery & needed a walker, then crutches. It wasn't 100% perfect, but it
was better than nothing. I didn't have a strap that fit my ankle, but my
nurses taped it around me, then we put 2pairs of socks over it. Good luck
🍀 cuz Fitbit doesn't care about us or fixing anything...
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.