Use HR and HRV to Monitor Stress/Anxiety (and suggest relaxation/guided breathing)

Use HR and HRV to measure stress level. 24 hour HR graph.
How it works: http://emvio.watch/

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

310 Comments
Anomoly
Base Runner

Would be great... you can utilize your resting heart rate as a gauge... i'm not sure that the fitbit's HR monitor is accurate enough to do HRV stuff though

Peterjan
Recovery Runner
Give it a chance.
Nicahlos
First Steps

Maybe the could give us everything thats in the fitbit surge in a soft chest strap heart rate monitor

JeffDe
Jogger

Please add a Heart Rate Variability feature, this would be a signifcant tool.

terminalmage
Recovery Runner

I have no desire to own a Surge or Charge HR, the One works perfectly for my needs. I also have a Scosche Rhythm+ heart rate monitor, which I am currently using an Android app to track. However, this means that I can't track the workout in the FitBit app, because I need to enter it manually after working out.

FitBit already knows how to incorporate heart rate tracking, so they should be able to simply apply that to BLE fitness straps like the Scosche Rhythm+ and use the fitness strap as a source of heart rate data.

Please implement this.

npboard
First Steps

I am a researcher and I am conducting  a study about anger and stress management.

The HRV data is needed. I think adding a heart rate variability feature would be quite useful.

Please add HRV features.

Joied
Jogger
Please please add this feature which we can enable when we sync. It would be a real seller & confirm to your existing customers that you're caring and innovative.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@SunsetRunner I think this is a great idea! Having a more detailed heart rate data and graph showing R-R intervals should be great and will help a lot of users. This should optimize training very well. I hope Fitbit will  find a way to have an electrocardiogram for the readings and then implement it in the nearest future. Thank you for this request and please keep voting for it! 

Zuppy
First Steps
I vote for HRV too!
tjesp
Jogger

I would like to use this not only for training but also as a measurement of stress. I have a Charge HR and if you can get Heart Rate Variability from it, it would be a great stress testing tool. Also this could benefit Fitbit as a company as people would buy them also for that purpose.

Right now I use an iPhone app for stress test where I have to put my finger on the camera lens for several minutes and its quite cumbersome.

4Juicy
First Steps
Please add the ablity to measure your HRV with the Charge HR. It was the whole reason I purchased it in the first place.
4Juicy
First Steps
I have the Charge HR
PlinySoun
Jogger

This would be great,
Also it would be great if vibrations can be implimented when the person using it is not necessarily active but the heart rate changes rapidly.

The community for stress, anxiety and autism related syndroms would be helped with this greatly.
I use the fitbit charge HR mostly for checking my heart rate in stress related situation, or when I get a flow of negative thoughts, I am on the spectrum and have a higher level of anxiety. I shut down in communication and use the heart rate to communicate I'm anxious. Or check my heartrate which calms me down and makes me reflect on the situation.

I would like to see a feature of HRV with the possibility to give nudges when there is a rapid change, pointing to anxiety or stress.

MattWil
First Steps
Heart Rate Variability is the next big thing in exercise. Please add this feature or team up with a service to use your heart rate devices (eg Elite Hrv).
Ecitizen
First Steps

I think in order to remain competitive with other providers, the Fitbit Charge HR has to start tracking HRV.  Stress management is a difference maker.  As the Director of Education for a $400 million dollar health and wellness company, I can tell you that organizations like mine are investing millions into sleep and stress managment this year.  It is the wave of the future.

DarinW
First Steps

It would be nice to have an option to manually input anxiety level on the fitbit app. I would anticipate many users exercise not only for physical health reasons, but also for the mental health benefits. Thanks for listening. DarinW

RobHo
First Steps
Got Fitbit Surge as a gift. Very disappointed at the absence of heart rate variability measurement capability which would have been a must if I'd self-selected the product (I also would have been wary of the limited life rubber band!). I would therefore request urgent consideration be given to this essential element without which its utility seems quite limited. Icing on the cake would be the capability for downloading HRV data for analysis using software such as Kubios.
KarimRafaat
First Steps
The Fitbit HR all have the ability to constantly monitor heart rate. Why not employ an algorithm to allow it to measure heart rate variability? This would be extremely useful. Outside of measurement of lactate levels it is one of the only reliable indications we have of overtraining. Incorporating this feature would catch you a whole new demographic of high end/elite athletes. Take it from me.... I'm a pediatric anesthesiologist and competitive Jiu jitsu player. This feature would aid in workout planning and cycling immensely.
Loren1970
First Steps

HRV monitoring is something that should be relatively easy to accomplish with a device that is constantly monitoring the heart rate, and not including it is a glaring ommission that puts the device behind. Resting heart rate is an important indicator of health, but HRV is a leading indicator of fitness readiness and whether or not over training is occurring and some rest and recovery is indicated, something that may be over looked but uninformed and overly ambitious fitness enthusiasiasts, especially novices. Please do give us a daily HRV value in the dashboard.

Thanks

JDelly
First Steps

HRV support would be great.  I currently use a separate device with extra wires and an equipment, which means i don't evaluate HRV as much as I would like.  Having the ability to switch to an HRV mode within the charge HR would be an outstanding addition.

_A1
First Steps
Would love to see heart rate variability features for Fitbit charge hr.
Aprilani
Recovery Runner
I'm interested in using the fitbit to increase physical fitness, but I'd also like to use it to monitor the effects of stress and deep relaxation like a biofeedback unit.

It's measuring my heart rate anyway... Would it be possible to add a consistent feedback function so I can consciously find the exact times to breathe more deeply or do some other stress relief technique.

Thank you!
rept
Recovery Runner
Ciarán
Stepping Up

Jumping on the bandwagon; would love to see HRV computed, since the data is there already.  Or, perhaps a specific collection interval could be triggered when the user is calm and ready to take the HRV sample.  This would be a MASSIVE feature and draw for anyone serious about their fitness.

Zzzcat
First Steps
Could be a huge selling point and differentiating technology for the fit bit ecosystem with pure pulse enabled devices. HRV is a reliable indicator of athletic recovery.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.