Use HR and HRV to Monitor Stress/Anxiety (and suggest relaxation/guided breathing)

Use HR and HRV to measure stress level. 24 hour HR graph.
How it works: http://emvio.watch/

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

310 Comments
mitwess
Runner

there's a new app called heart beats that does hrv (heart rate variability) or claims to which is what is used by garmin for stress tracking/score. it doesn't line up at all with my polar h7 heart rate variability score, so i don't know how it's measuring/calculating. still trying to figure out if it has any value. it definitely will drain your battery faster though. 

HerraPesukarhu
First Steps

This would be great, please add stress monitoring to versa too!

HerraPesukarhu
First Steps

Monitoring stress levels to learn better from our daily routines would be awesome, please consider adding this feature to Versa too!

Mdoktor
Jogger

I agree, HRV is a usefull and adding it to the charge2 would be great!. HRV measurements are done in rest situations. Then the measurements are better then in active situations. The charge2 will stand out if Fitbit ad this feature.

ericdonovan
First Steps

Hey guys. I just ordered the new Versa, have been a Blaze owner for the last couple of years. I'm interested to know if there are any apps for HRV (heart rate variability). I'm interested im having an app or feature that notifies me when my heart rate goes either above or below a BPM interval that I customize. For example, if my bpm go either over 80 BPM or below 55, the watch vibrates in a specific sequence and the screen changes color. Seems simple enough, from my perspective given the technology available on the device. Is there anything like that? Thank You!

Why has this not been added yet? The Fitbit community has been asking for this for 4 years now and we now know that the HR models are able to get these data, but we as customers don't have them. Come on Fitbit! Some of us have heart problems we want to monitor with our fitbits rather than having to get an Apple Watch to do it. Support us in our brand loyalty here!

JayJay_de
Base Runner

Please add a Stress Level functionality to FitbitOS devices like Ionic and Versa. 

As far as I know, the data should be available ... it is just a calculation ...and to create an overview and historical data.

Thanks

jcfpratas
Jogger

Please, add this. 

jcfpratas
Jogger

Please, add this.

Mark2018
Distance Runner

Good suggestion!

For a good programmer it shouldn't take very long time to realize that.

Thank you!

kingburdy612
First Steps

Another vote for HRV please! 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Ukase
Progression Runner

At the risk of coming off like a jerk, I have a suggestion that others have had and voted for. But -I don't see a place for me to vote for this suggestion. 

How can I encourage you guys to implement HRV into the HR trackers? The technology is out there, and I cannot fathom why you haven't chosen to implement it. 

My best guess is that Fitbit is only into getting fit a little "bit". The discrepancy between what Fitbit tracks compared to chest straps is at a minimum, 15%, and as much as 35%. You guys are like the Planet Fitness of wearables. You want people to sign up, you encourage people to move - but you seem to turn your noses up at those that want to move with intelligence and purpose. 

HRV is an important data point for those that train hard - but I guess you don't care about our business. 

Naiguang
Jogger

Please add this stress management feature. It will be best to trigger the "relax" app .It can also be parked under "relax" app setting .like activated when heartbeat exceed certain value

Kubiac
Base Runner

It would be nice, if the Ionic could measure and show the stress level. 

The hardware should be there, so it's "only" a software restriction. 

WarStreet
Recovery Runner

HRV and stress monitoring has been requested in a number of other feature suggestion posts. All of them had lot of votes but ignored by fitbit. Really, you don't need a single vote since the usefulness of such feature in a fitbit device is obvious and every manager and programmer will be able to see this. To make it worse, other competitors wearable devices that are able to monitor stress are increasing.

I think this feature should be considered with a high priority. At least start by creating an HRV API.

Mark2018
Distance Runner

Hi,

try clock face "Heart beats"

There you have the HRV.

I think, will not add this feature!

Unfortunately to much problems on ann tracker and no solution. 😞

WarStreet
Recovery Runner

@Mark2018, you can't have HRV from any clockface or app since the maximum frequency for the HR API is 1Hz. They will need to expose the HRV info.

david-mancusi
Jogger

Since this thread started in February, and this sounds like a good competitive feature, I was wondering if someone would comment on the availability or planning, for the implementation of this functionality across the product line. I have a Charge 2 which has much of the same base components of the Ionic so I would hope if implemented for the Ionic it's implemented for the Charge 2.

lambchops247
First Steps

Can the Relax Feature (with the breathing circles) be set up to alert or vibrate when the heart rate reaches a set limit? Maybe its not active when you tell the fitbit you are exercising. So say I set it to alert me to relax if my heart reaches 115 beats a minute while I'm not exercising so that I can teach myself to stay calm or recognize triggers that cause my heart rate to increase. 

Moderator edit: labels.

lambchops247
First Steps

can it be called the "Hulk Feature"?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing your idea @lambchops247! As you said, it could be very helpful to recognize triggers that cause my heart rate to increase. Hope this suggestion can get a lot of votes! 

lambchops247
First Steps
Yeah me too! I’d be thrilled if the hulk feature came to life. We all could
be calm Edward Norton’s.
BeckyLa
First Steps

Great way to be proactive in monitoring biomedical triggers

while exercising or during stressful interactions. Hulk feature is a great idea because “you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry “.

Donna80
Base Runner

That would be good, but I'd also like to turn off the vibrate on the relatation circles as they actually stress me out every time they vibrate and jolt my wrist making me feel less relaxed.

(I have the settings on strong vibrate as I don't feel the hourly reminders.)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.