Weight lifting feature

I lift a lot of weights at the gym and would love to track my progress in weight and reps each time to see how much I'm progressing.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

97 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@vincenzo wrote:

Fitbit should track weight training exercises, either directly on the smartwatch/tracker or on the smartphone app to track specific weight training exercises. To make it easy why doesn't Fitbit do a partnership deal with a company like Fitnotes and integrate their app into Fitbit. Then users could track repititions and weight for specific exercises as well as have a total weight lifted graph  as well as an analysis per muscle group trained and a list of personal bests with a graph of performance (total weight lifted) per exercise. Of course it would be great to go the extra step and have the wristband automatically detect the exercise like one of the following companies :

• Atlas Wristband 2
  • The Beast Sensor
  •  PUSH Band
  • Gymwatch
  • Skulpt Chisel
  • Athos
  • I seriously will consider purchasing one of the above or a smartwatch that automatically identifies and tracks weight lifting exercises once my current Fitbit dies. Honestly, the Fitbit tracking of steps, calories is done just as well by numerous free apps on my phone. The only way Fitbit can differentiate itself is to offer upmarket functions like weightlifting identification and tracking.

I recently bought the Atlas Wearable and I'm happy. The customer service is great and they really interact with their users. The band itself is probably the best on on the market that will track weight lifting. It comes preset with exercises so you can freestyle or you can upload an entire custom workout that you can just sync to the watch and get to working. I recently back another weight lifting tracker called the Actofit. I just have 3 words for that... DON'T DO IT! I took almost 3 months to get it. It's really hard to train and program. Their are TOO many bugs in the app. It doesn't sync at all. I can't speak to the other devices you listed but I can definitely tell you that the Atlas is worth the money. Also, don't expect fitbit to even consider this feature request. This has been requested so many times and by so many users. We're not even asking them to update the watches with new software, just add the option to track my weight lifting on the dashboard. I would be happy just to enter it manually. 

vincenzo
Recovery Runner

Thanks for your this feedback stemming from your personal experience. I'm sure many people will find it valuable. It's good to know what real equipment users think of weight/gym trackers because the majority of sources of information comes from journalists and bloggers who often are "sponsored" or remunerated by specific companies. It's unfortunate that Fitbit won't listen to his request and they will ultimately loose market share as people realize that counting steps and calories can be done for free on their smartphones which most people carry and data can be analysed by a number of free fitness apps.

Beaut
First Steps

Please add a feature that will track lifting!

Status changed to: Third-Party App
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ressie2 and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. A weight lifting app has been developed by a third party developer, and can be downloaded from the Fitbit App Gallery available on Fitbit Smartwatches. You’ll find it by selecting your connected Smartwatch (such as Fitbit Ionic) in the Fitbit app, then choosing the ‘Apps’ tile and toggling to ‘All Apps’ at the top of the screen. You can then explore third party apps by category and choose your favorite of the relevant options available. Happy exploring!

I will leave this suggestion open to continue collecting votes/comments as I know the original suggestion was for something on the web dashboard or mobile app. Thanks

Skk333
First Steps

Weight lifting tracker for weights and reps

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Many other more serious fitness trackers do this  Atlas has been mentioned, Garmin, even the apple watch is supposed to be adding this soon if they haven't already.  

Status changed to: Third-Party App
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Skk333 and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion !

We’re excited to let you know that this Feature Suggestion has been developed by a third party developer, and can be downloaded from the Fitbit App Gallery available on Fitbit Smartwatches. You’ll find it by selecting your connected Smartwatch (such as Fitbit Ionic) in the Fitbit app, then choosing the ‘Apps’ tile and toggling to ‘All Apps’ at the top of the screen. You can then explore third party apps by category and choose your favorite of the relevant options available.

Happy exploring!

Siegesalie
First Steps

I would like to have a tracker where I can enter how many barbell curls or bench press reps I did at such and such weight and it translates that into burned calories. Squats etc etc 

civla
First Steps

Atlas Wearables makes a fitness tracker called the Atlas Wristband 2.  It's primary purpose is to track strength training sessions, tracking reps, weight (lifted/pulled/pushed) and HR.  You can input customized workout routines and it even has pre-designed ones that you can run.  What really ties it together is they have a great website for viewing your workout data/history.

I believe Fitbit has the tools to do this, but combine it with the excellent Ionic to make the ultimate fitness smartwatch.  Atlas Wristband2 does not have any other features.  But I believe it wouldn't be too hard for Fitbit to bring these features into its Ionic product.  Even if it can't detect the workouts/reps like Atlas does, at least have the ability to track workouts and you just input the reps and weight, while Ionic recorded the HR.  And then add that data history into the existing dashboard.

Just a suggestion that I hope could be looked at.  I've been using the Atlas Wristband2 for over a year and really wish it could just be merged with the Fitbit Ionic.  Heck, why not just buy Atlas and make it happen!  🙂

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post this suggestion @civla

It's great to see users so invested in the Fitbit experience. Let's see what other users say about your idea.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Is this app going to be ported to the Versa? I've tried searching for how to contact the developer for Fitlift directly and can't find anything.

Seb4727
First Steps

Same here, I can't find the 3rd party app (I have the Versa). 

I really wish I had the functionality to create weight lifting workout routines (exercise, weight, set/rep, rest) and then run them at the gym by allowing me to input manually my reps/set and weights lifted. I currently rely on a smartphone app "JEFIT" to do so.

My whole point of buying Versa was to avoid having to bring my phone at the gym, therefore the absence of such functionality/third defeats the purpose as I still need to rely on my phone to track my weightlifting session.     

jsyntax
First Steps

Please include this, even if it's a basic rep counter. Let me set a timer between sets too, like in Google Fit or Garmin Vivosmart 4. This is crucial. I have to return my Fitbit Charge 3 b/c of this. 😞

Jadeykins
Jogger

I would love if there were a way to track weight training with my fitbit versa. I'm not wanting to time myself doing weights by how many seconds/minutes performed, but to measure performance and progression over time; a way to record the physical weight lifted and number of reps so that it is comparable to future workouts, and i can increase weights/reps as i get stronger. I think it would be greatly received by many fitbit users who don't solely rely on cardio based workouts like running and cycling which are measured by distance/time.

(Side note - a little app to keep small notes of your weight/reps as you go as well would be AWESOME. It doesnt need to be anything special. Just a basic type letters and numbers on a blank note, and then workouts can be properly logged once home.)

vincenzo
Recovery Runner
I've been using Fitnotes for years to manually track weight lifting exercises (free weights, weight stack machines). Input reps and weights to get total volume per session, percentage lifted by muscle group and graphics over time. It's the best free app, enough to see progress over time. I've wish Fitbit would just do a deal with them and integrate Fitnotes. Happy lifting.

Envoyé depuis l'application Mail Orange
Jadeykins
Jogger
That's great, I will certainly give a look into Fitnotes. A way for my new
fitbit to do this would be better 😉 as I got it new today so still getting
to know it and what I can do with it. Very happy with it so far. Thank you
for the recommendation for now
J-La
First Steps
I agree! That would be awesome!
fmart1
Runner

Yes, I would love that too. I never used fitbit coach because it doesn't coach my main activity, which is weight lifting kinds of exercises. I used to have Microsoft band with customizable workouts of any kind, but that is gone. I was hoping that fitbit would broaden their coaching app to that, but it's not happening so far.

Farwah
Jogger

I have to use another app to log in weight and reps, and Nike+ to track my runs. Would be great to have one less app. Ideally Fitbit should be working towards being holistic. 

Siegesalie
First Steps

Why is this still not available as a way to manually add it? We like your product and are loyal. 10 reps of curl equals this many burned calories adds that to your total burned calories. Its easy

Michael_7
First Steps

Adding to this.. automated tracking would be incredible, but even if it's just a counter that we could use manually, I would love to be able to use my pixel watch instead of taking out my phone to track exercises/sets/reps/weights. Even if this is independent of the calorie calculation, for me it's about convenience and tracking everything in one place.

Luvlupe
First Steps
Unsubscribe
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.