brightness setting and longer display times

In certain circumstances the LED is very bright. Controlling the brightness level via app could save battery power which could be used on having the display on for longer.

Moderator edit: labels.

69 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for posting your request @FlashP74, I will be sure to pass along your idea to the appropriate channel.

scubasteve1977
First Steps

I find it strange that you can not adjust the length of time the display stays on of course you would lose battery life but the user should have the choice to have longer battery life vs longer display, and surely it would'nt be to difficult to add the feature in an update

timtitus
Runner

There needs to be a Brightness control added to the dashboard for the Charge HR. I am tired of having to go int a Almost Pitch black room when I do not have my Phone or access to a computer to read my Charge HR information. When you rush a product to market you dont have all the features needed. Also a Battery level shoudl be available for the Charge HR so we are not surprised by the E-mail.

You really shoudl think these things thru before rushing product to the market, becasue you think there is a need, what is needed is goodd supporting software and availability of updates.

geoffsp
First Steps

Agreed, we need a brightness adjustment feature.  It is unreadable outside in the sunlight.  if not on the watch itself,  with perhapps sequence of button pushes.  The other suggestion is in the phone app.  Yes the battery will not last as long, but not being to read the display outside needs to be addressed.

Thank You

timtitus
Runner
I would agree that this should be in the App it seams as this would be a
perfect solution, but would this require a Firmware update for the Charge
HR?
jenciz
First Steps
Hi there,

It'd be great to be able to control the brightness overnight. The clock displays automatically sometimes just with normal sleep motion (tossing and turning, or sometimes just changing positions). This is way too bright for a person trying to sleep.

Thanks!
PattiMN
First Steps

Another problem is at night.   The display wakes me up and my husband too.  Sleep mode should at the very least dim the display.  Thanks!

Tamcdonald
First Steps
I would like to be able to have the option to adjust the brightness of my Fitbit. Not only to save battery issues but just in general
Sassy_Joy
Jogger
I concur. It was awfully bright during my migraines too. 2 headaches in three days has me worried if I'll be able to use it at all. My iPhone is on the most dull it can be at night, & during a migraine it is much much too bright. (Mentioned for comparison) So the fit bit charge just screams at me every time I move.
revink
First Steps

I think it could be interesting to be able to tune the intensity of the display, this also in conjuction with the possibility to have the clock always on. 

Anthea27
First Steps
I wore my new charge hr to bed for the first time last night, and every time I triggered the display either intentionally or unintentionally, it was so blindingly bright that I was afraid it would wake my husband up! I'd like to see either a user-set brightness level or a dimmer "sleep" setting for the brightness.
ryanjm
First Steps

Agreed with everyone else.

Stage 1: Ability to just set the brightness via the app. This would solve my problem and would be a great benefit.

Stage 2: Ability to set "Do not distrub" type hours with a different brightness. This way it could be one brightness during the day and another at night.

The issues I have with brightness are that if I check the time at night not only do my eyes hurt trying to adjust, but I'm also afraid of waking my wife up. Same thing when the alarm goes off in the morning. The purpose of a "silent" alarm is to wake just me up. But the bright flashing light also could wake my wife up depending on which direction it is pointed.

Thanks!

trolley_dodger
First Steps

I totally agree!  There needs to be a way to turn off the display from turning on at night.  I just bought mine yesterday, wore it in bed last night and the blinding light of the device popping on in the dark disturbed my sleep, caused eye strain that can trigger a headache and made me think about sending this thing back. I might return it over this because undisturbed sleep in total darkness is important to good health.

Anthea27
First Steps
I just stopped wearing mine to bed...
redhill
Recovery Runner
agree! display is far too bright at night in a dark bedroom, and would be nice to have battery level indicator
EnjoyToday
Recovery Runner

I'd love to be albe to increase the brightness (old eyes...)

socrpro192
First Steps

agree that it should be able to have do not disburb hours where the led brightness is off that you can set. Even turning down the brigntess on led underneath that looks at the skin would be nice at night as well. 

Tom_in_Delaware
Premium User
First Steps

I have owned several Fitbit devices. All have had the same problem. The display is too dim outdoors. They are readable indoors but not outside in the day. I suggest a setting in the software that allows you to adjust the brightness. I have owned the Charge HRs, a Surge and I am now using the Fitbit One. All have the same problem.

Moderator edit: clarified subject 

Scrappinginont
Recovery Runner

I would find this feature very helpful too.  When I'm out for a walk on a sunny day, I am unable to view the numbers on my Alta and the display is too dim.

Hope this can be fixed! Smiley Happy

TomIsFit
First Steps

I bought the Charge HR to use for heart rate training while running outside. The display is not really visible outside on a sunny day. Any plans to add a brightness setting to the HR at some point?

SirRaytheRed
First Steps

I agree. I have the fitbit charge HR. Love it except for when I am doing outside workout. Impossible to view display. As you stated their should be a software adjustment to increase the brightness of the display, and to decrease it to save on battery charge.

JimMitten
First Steps

Have an option to increase the brightness in the sun. It's also too bright in total darkness.

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels.

Myfyn69
First Steps
I have the same issue. Outside I can not see the screen I have to find shade or cover and peek in. Please make this a fix soon!!!!! 😉
Mahesh_hari
First Steps
Please increase display brightness. Can't see time or anything outside
Diatomacious
First Steps
Yes the alta is the worst so far outdoors. The charge wasn't too bad I could at least make out the numbers. The Alta is non existent. I thought the device was dead or not responding outdoors until I cupped my hand over it. I rely on this as a watch also so this is very disappointing. Please incorporate this fix!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.