list whole, non-branded foods first

It seems like all foods have a brand name associated with them -- even eggs! Most of the foods I eat are whole, non-commercial, or organic, bulk, non-Monsanto kinds of foods. If I type in "apple" it would be nice to see an apple first, and apple pie from McDonnel's last. Interesting that "foods" is not one of your idea lables.

Moderator edit: Labels

25 Comments
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for the feedback! You can now add your own labels to new feature suggestions, and contribute improvements to our Food Database Requests board: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Food-Database-Requests/idb-p/food.

We are making great strides in the food logging area and appreciate your continued input!

PatriciaMc
Base Runner

I searched for Apple, here is result

Apple, raw

Apple, pie filling (Tap'n apple)

Apple (Fresh and Co)

Apple (etc, etc, etc)

Apple (Mrs. Smiths)     THEN GIVES SERVING Size as 1/8 of a pie !!!!!

Apple, raw (Dole)

Apple, raw (Wegman's)

etc 

etc

The two raw apples with brand names should follow the first entry, "Apple, raw".

All that other apple stuff appears to be pastries!

wimpletree
Jogger

It seems that about 95% of the food listings are prepared food or restaurants.  Please give us a filter that would let us choose from only fresh/unprepared foods, like cottage cheese 2% organic, for example.  Or better yet, let us just add the food brand or restaurants we want to see. I personally would tag all fresh food and all Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods 365 products, and that would be enough for me.  If I had to add something using the label that was outside that group, I could do that!

Honestly, you are sending mixed messages with the food presentation as it currently is.  If you really care about our health, give us an option to strip the junk out of our food list.  It is so much more reinforcing of the good eating habits you are trying to help us have!!

Moderator edit: added labels 

whentheship
Jogger

Agree. If I make black bean burgers at home, for example, I have to add the individual ingredients I think would be in one serving to get the total calories for the meal. It would be great if some standard (esp. vegetarian and vegan) dishes were added to the database. I'm sure homemade is likely healthier than processed, so I don't want to just choose a brand name burger when I've made it myself.

If not, adding the filter as described above would really help.

Voli
First Steps

Agree, and the list is so US centric. It is unusable here in Finland. Germany does not help.

kleebas
Jogger

You can filter it yourself.  Just type "Trader Joe's" and all the Trader Joe's entries will be listed.  If you know what you want, type it, for example, Mango Sorbet Trader Joe's and if it's been entered, it will appear.  It is there because I entered it.  If what you want isn't there, then add it - accurately!  I think it's up to us to accurately add the foods we want to see.

fionac
Tempo Runner

I agree.  Being in the UK, it's impossible to use the food listings that are available as most of them are restaurant or pre-packaged from US stores.

I started to play around with it a couple of weeks ago and wanted to add toast; not any brand of toast but the toast I made with granary bread, butter and Marmite.  I can understand Marmite not being on the list, given it's a very British thing, but surely normal, ordinary toast should be.

Maggie217
Jogger

When I try to post a food it makes me gag!  Who eats like that?  If and when I do eat in a restaurant it is a local establishment.  Your food lists look like you are advertising for a bunch of franchises - the very thing that makes America fat.  I eat at home 98% of the time.

Diana2050
Stepping Up

I agree, the raw one ingredient foods need to be first on the lists.  I was shocked when I first started entering foods that the list looked like the franchise resaturant yellow pages. 

cbalter
Stepping Up

Definitely would be nice to have the basic foods come first and processed foods after that.

dbanderson1
Recovery Runner

I'm not sure how apps integrate with existing databases but USDA already maintains a huge database of verified nutrition information for common foods:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

somehow tapping this would increase the options substantially!

healthy114
First Steps

can anyone help me filter to just organic fresh and whole foods. i do not eat at any fast food or chain stores. i want to log my food but don't see a list for this. i don't feel inspired to log my food if all i see is a list of unhealthy food. please advise.

thanks!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
TarinFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Status changed to: New
TarinFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That is a very good idea because it will encourage other users to improve their healthy lifestyle. Hopefully this will be implemented!

RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

orchidlady1953
Recovery Runner

Oh please do this.  I eat only whole foods and it's sometimes hard to find just whole foods and ingredients are difficult too. 

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

Yes I hope they improve this. It's a little irritating scrolling down to the 24th entry or so when you type in "apple", for example.

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Julee thanks for this suggestion. I'm discussing it with the product team here and hope to update in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. In terms of an update, there aren't currently any plans to release this feature. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

BlueMoonnl
First Steps

I have seen some suggestions from 3-4 years ago requesting whole organic foods in the log.  I am new to Fitbit but it seems these suggestions have been disregarded.  Does anyone know when this will be implemented?  I do not even try to log my food because I DO NOT eat anything they have on the list.  I do not purchase or eat anything packaged, boxed, bagged, or processed.  I know I am not the only person!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @BlueMoonnl. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you would like to see more organic food options in the Food Database on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request overtime. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Frankie8
First Steps
Update the calorie tracker so that it has better food measurements and range of food offered. For example I can’t find blueberries anywhere, not the frozen ones but natural raw blueberries. I can’t custom this myself because natural blueberries has no nutrition info. Also when I click on frozen blueberries I can’t even select a single blueberry.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Frankie8, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see track calories in a better way by logging non-branded food on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

JuliePel
First Steps
Previous suggestion by Julee Feb 10, 14 titled "list whole, non-branded foods first". The issue was not addressed as raw foods still not listed first or at all like blueberries.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JuliePel, thanks for sharing this suggestion about listing non-branded foods first with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We truly appreciate your feedback and please click on the thumbs-up to show your support. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.