sync with third party speed and cadence sensors for biking

Currently when I ride my bike on my trainer (no GPS movement) I monitor speed and cadence with WAHOO speed and cadence sensors.  It would be awesome if the WAHOO app could access  the HR info from my fitbit and then allow all of the info, Speed, Cadence, Distance, Time, HR to be transferred to the Dashboard.  That would allow accurate calculations of calories burnt, activity level, etc.  It is neither easy or straightforward to do that now.  I currently have to upload the WAHOO info to MyFitnessPal and/or Strava and then they sync with Fitbit.  Speed and Cadence are NOT transferred and I can't seem to figure out how  to manually add them.  I'm waiting for my Blaze to arrive so my HR data will go in, but it still makes for messy entry of the rest of the info.
On a side note:  I considered switching to a Garmin Vivoactive HR, as it was MUCH easier for tracking indoor cycling, but I like the fit and style of the fitbit better (I have VERY small arms and the Garmin was HUGE!!!)  I'm hoping that by the time I need an upgrade either Garmin will make a smaller product or FitBit will do better integration with third-party sensors AND become waterproof AND have internal GPS tracking, but still look great.  Viva la Fitbit!

Moderator Edit: Labels

19 Comments
markjfs
Jogger

This would be awesome.

I have this Wahoo product which you can see integrates with a number of Apps on Apple/Android.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/wahoo-blue-sc-speed-and-cadence-sensor

Please/Please do this.

Thanks

Old_Rider
First Steps

Tracking bike cadence would be great.

Coreybpa
Stepping Up

I'd love to just skip wahoo completely and have fitbit contact with my bike computer then I just setup the distance travelled by entering the size of the tire. Why both having another app

monet857
First Steps

It would be better if the FitBit device could connect to the bike computer to track the bike activity instead of the GPS on my smartphone. GPS connection is unreliable when biking through wooded areas or tree lined bike paths. 

RosePedals
First Steps

Hello. I LOVE Fitbit and really believe in it’s ability to inspire and empower people to get/stay/be fit. I’m a huge cyclist and would love to track everything through the Fitbit app. I hope in the future that Fitbit can connect to Wahoo sensors, such as speed. Thank you for your consideration. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I live in Canada and the winters here don't allow for cycling outdoors, so I rely on my indoor trainer to do my cycling. I previously had a Garmin which had the ability to sync with speed/cadence sensors. I am surprised that the Ionic doesn't have this capability despite being in the same price range as Garmins that do have this feature. Calculating speed/pace by GPS doesn't help if you're staying in once place. It's very limiting. Also for training purposes, it's great to know rpm's in addition to speed and pace. I hope that this is an update that happens, or my next watch will be a Garmin.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

RBakken
Jogger

Please implement this!
I still have to use my other devices and leave my fibit ionic at home (NOT what I bought it for) when I ride my bike, because the watch can't read cadence.

Even if you decide not to sync with third parties and sell your own cadence sensor, I'd (mostly) be cool with that option, too.

WildmanSC
First Steps

my HR chest sensor gets picked up by machines at Gym why not fitbit as well. the chest sensor is way more accurate. as well as the sensors from our cycles. There are 100.s of thousands of potential purchasers for that tool.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @WildmanSC! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Kathmandont
Stepping Up

I would also be very excited to see this feature implemented. I don't yet have any sensors on my bike, but I would buy one in a heartbeat if meant that I could get trip statistics for my rides in the Fitbit app the same way I can get them for running. I'd love to know my split times, peak speeds, altitude gains, and cadence. 👍

Boffmeister
First Steps

Any news on this over the last 11 months?

monet857
First Steps
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any updates on this desired feature.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
T1z3R
First Steps

shame 😞

CTLeam
First Steps

This would be useful. 

jeff51
Recovery Runner

Yes .. I support the connectivity with speed/cadence sensors.  Im a long time Fitbit user, but you are missing a great marketing opportunity here.  As a biker mostly I need single-source device and will switch if this doesn't happen.  I won't wait a year or more.  Please make it happen.

menachem
First Steps

Is there any update on this? It has been almost 5 years since it was first suggested...

Jggjfhjkt
Recovery Runner

This would be great! Right now I have to use a bike computer to get all the important info while riding. Unfortunately not even HR can be shared.

An implementation on the other direction and connect all the speed and cadence sensors from the bike could be a great solution

BryanChara
First Steps

+1 For wahoo cadence/speed tracking. This would be super super useful!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.