Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API access to music player

Looking over the documentation I'm not seeing a way to build a 3rd party music player. Is this currently possible and if not is there a possible future where this can happen?

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Hi!

There is no API to control the music player at this time. What is your use-case?

FYI: Buttons on the bluetooth headset can be used to play/pause/skip songs.

cheers,

thomas

Best Answer

I work at a company that creates software enabling individuals to stream media from their home devices. I'm interested in creating an application to sync music to the device that is playable via the system media player as a personal project. Feel free to PM me for more specific details.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I frequently listen to music from my iPhone over AUX in my car, and having music controls on my wrist means I don't have to look at the phone to pause or change tracks. I wouldn't be wearing a Bluetooth headset in this case.

There are are probably similar use cases where someone is listening to audio from a phone that's not within immediate reach. (Docked in a music player, for example, or connected to Sonos).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would imagine that Fitbit will support "remote control" type apps, but not necessarily for playing on the device itself.

For instance, Spotify has a web API, so I could likely authorize Spotify via the companion app, and play/pause tracks from my watch. The big difference is that the actual playback is happening on a spotify app not on the Ionic watch.

Best Answer

@kenjamin yes having an app remote control a player somewhere else is completely possible and would be very useful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jamesbernsen controlling music that is playing from your phone is possible with Ionic. You do not need an API for this, the system includes this function in the music player tray that you can bring by sliding from the top of any clock face.

Best Answer

Yeah to be clear my use case is actually building a media player or media player integration on the device itself (a 3rd party version of how I'm presuming Pandora works essentially).

Best Answer

The only thing I ever get from swiping down from the clock face is "No music available", is there there a permission I need to grant on my device to enable the controls of which you speak? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m on iOS and the Ionic developer firmware, so you may get different results than I do, but...

I see the same behavior you mentioned when I swipe down from the clock face. However, if I then tap the “...” icon at top-left and tap the “Device...” button on the following screen, then my music controls appear when I go back to the “swipe-down” screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was hoping to put basic music controls (play/pause, next) on a watch face, so I’d have one-touch access to those functions. Swiping to the tray takes too long when someone is trying to talk to me and I need to pause my music (also, precious seconds of exposed fingers in -25° winter).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was hoping to make a podcast player. While I can use the built in music app, I'd like to be able to save my spot. I'd also like to be able to copy the audio files directly from my phone using the file transfer API.

Best Answer

Same for me. I really would like to be able to listen to my running-related podcasts when I'm running. However requiring me to boot up my laptop, download the MP3 and copy it over using a proprietary app is not something I'm going to realistically bother to do. Even if I can't access the audio APIs it would work for me if you made it possible to "inject" music into the existing music player.

Best Answer

I have yet to get this to work. It won't work as a remote for my cell when I have any kind of music playing. 

I have tried just about anything, and the more I fiddle with this thing, the more I kind of wish I had returned it and had gotten something else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use my Versa to listen to podcasts and audiobooks. I'd like to be able to seek through a long audio file, or at least skip forward or back at 15 or 30 second intervals. 

Best Answer

Trying to make an app with guided exercises for my PT client. Cant figure out how to make my app talk into their headphones connected to watch. 

Best Answer