Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a simple disc golf app

Hi there, 

I know how to code pretty well in javascript, html, and css, but this whole svg interface is a little confusing to me. My idea for an app is quite simple. I would use this on a disc golf course. In the center are two lines of text, one saying "Hole x", the other saying "Stroke x". Once you take a shot, you hit the top right button (I have a versa), and then a screen pops up giving a few options to record your shot- for now I'll keep it to "Fairway", "O.B.", "Circle 1" (which is the green), and "In Basket". If it's any of the first three options, I still have to play the hole out, so the stroke counts up 1, and you continue with that hole. If it's in the hole, at some point I'd like to add an animation (maybe a green background that flashes over the screen for a second), and then go to the next hole. 

Basically, where I'm at is I have two lines of text that I made from the Mixed Text component on the guides. If this were html I would know exactly where to go from here, but I really am not use to this UI based language. Would you give me some suggestions on where to go? I appreciate you taking the time to read this, and I hope to build this into a substantial app. Meanwhile, I'll keep doing research and trying to figure the system out by looking at sample apps. Once I have basic functionality, I'll add stats like total strokes, strokes over/under par, etc. Thanks so much! 

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

You basically need to show/hide different <svg> elements. There's a simple example here https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/Wanted-example-of-multiple-UI-views-and-back-navigat...

Or you could take a look at the Ionic Views framework by gaperton.  https://github.com/gaperton/ionic-views/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, I feel you have a great idea there but I'd like to add a little input because first of all I believe you're using a version of the fitbit above mine I'm using a charge 3 which is the newest charge model. But for disc golf and also  using the U disc app to track my scores. I would like to be able to use my charge 3 to tap the watch for every stroke that lands on my way to the green. So far even udisc is screwed this up, unless I just for the last year, have not found the right button, but it says you can count every stroke after you throw it, or add all your Strokes after the basket. But it always puts you at par 3. So I would like to tap my Fitbit on the exercise mode of disc golf I would like to count each stroke as I walk between them till I get in the basket and then have it automatically sync toUdisc or however I've got it set up right now I'm not sure, but your idea is excellent. I'm not a programmer I'm more of a fundamentals of operating system certified MSN person so writing code and writing operating system repairs is totally different so it sounds like you might have the ability to write an app for the Fitbit and if you do please include the charge 3 and I guess between the two of us or whoever else also joins in we'll just have to keep email on Fitbit to add your app to the exercise portion of our Fitbit app I've also already tried to contact and they said they're working on it but with u discs themselves and you and Fitbit to make the apps compatible because as soon as I bought the Fitbit and turned it on now my Udisc no longer gives me a pace count which is fine considering I have it on the watch but it was kind of nice to see and take screenshots that you walk so and so many paces.

One thing I really also wanted as I can adjust I don't know about anything below the charge 3 but I can adjust my stride rate I do have a longer stride when I am playing disc golf so I would want that obviously to be under the exercise function but the other thing is what's something I thought I might be able to do to if or another company might do which is not my financial capabilities at the moment is I put my watch on my dominant hand so my frisbee swing and release velocity was something I was hoping I could measure I don't know if it charge 3 is capable of that but because of the fact that it can also calculate your stride Factor I thought it could use its own little brain to realize that you're not striding here you're not taking a walk you know this is a high-velocity motion but that's probably way in the future or in the $300 range watches that are out so I accidentally deleted the first message of this comment which is probably good cuz it's probably too wordy but I want to apologize for how much information that is dumped on you cuz I know this is rather long and as far as the fitbits goes right now with that is in the charge 3 at least I'm getting basically if I play Frisbee golf I can set it to walk or hike and I really don't see a difference in those I just said it to walk really right now even though today was the first day I played of course that had some serious inclines and pills in it which would add to a step count because the incline was steep enough that you know it should count it is me walking up stair ways instead of hiking up a hill or however it works I don't even care about all that just everything up above it everything up above that I talked about is more important you know I can use walk or hike or whatever but I'd like which would be par then even at that point if I have to used van if I could just look at my watch and tap it three times I went well the last thing that you just doesn't do it automatically puts will let you work on

Best Answer

Any progress?  I’d love a simple app for keeping track of my game!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any updates with this?!

Best Answer
0 Votes