Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Develop an App Without a Smartwatch?

Hi

I was wondering if it was possible to create an app/clock face for Fitbit's without a smartwatch (Versa/Ionic).

I'm asking this question because at the moment I think FitbitOS is still in its early stages and I don't yet want to purchase a Fitbit smartwatch (sorry!) until it has begun to give competition to other smartwatch companies out there. However, I still want to develop apps for FitbitOS. I have only been learning to code for 2 to 3 years, and I feel like developing an app like this can give me a taste of what it feels like to be a real developer.

Note: I'm fine if I'm not going to be able to test my app/clock face on a smartwatch. So if I can make the app but not test it or use it (I know, it sounds stupid), I'm still on board.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Yes, you can use the simulator to test your app without a real device. You won't be able to publish it until there is a device associated with your developer profile.

Best Answer

Hey Jon

I currently use a Fitbit Charge 2. When you said that I could only publish an app if I had a Fitbit device with my account, did you mean that I had to have a Fitbit Smartwatch (Versa/Ionic), or just any kind of device? Also, I'm really glad that Fitbit built a simulator into their SDK. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes