Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Developer Bridge

It just hangs indefinitely at "Connecting."

I have tried unpairing/repairing several times. I have reset the Ionic several times (left button + bottom right button). I have restarted my phone several times. I have reconnected to wi-fi several times. I have tried multiple wi-fi networks. I have strong wi-fi signal. I can see my phone in Studio. Firmware 27.31.1.16

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!!

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

The same thing happens to me from time to time. I just keep trying to reconnect until it reconnects. It certainly makes it harder to iterate quickly. 😞 Would love an emulator built into the development environment, or a way to deploy apps locally without needing to connect to the server in the first place.

Best Answer

I agree. This is very frustrating. If Fitbit wants this ecosystem to grow, they need to make the dev tools better. I'm surprised there's no emulator or offline way to upload apps. The connection between my Ionic and phone (Pixel 2 XL) is flaky just doing regular syncs. Seems like a non-starter if this is the only way to build apps. Hopefully they get it together and come up with a more robust solution. In theory what they have is elegant, but not really working in practice for me 😞

Still unable to connect. The status has changed to "Connected" a few times, but quickly goes back to "Connecting." I've yet to see the device in Studio. I literally have the watch hanging from the antenna on my wi-fi router.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That happened to me a lot yesterday. After resetting the device I've been getting constant connectivity today, with only rare disconnections. Might be worth restarting (and even factory resetting) your device to see if that helps at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is almost certainly irrelevant, but I'll recount it because it matches your description (brief periods of 'Connected' before dropping back to 'Connecting').

After weeks of pain, I discovered that my aging router was occasionally assigning the same IP to the watch and some other device on my network. Needless to say, when it did this, neither device could maintain a reliable connection. Occasional restarts of various devices would make the problem go away for a while because DHCP would usually reassign IPs which were unique.

My interim solution was to reserve IPs for the problematic devices (rather than relying on DHCP). My definitive solution was a new router. These changes totally fixed it for me.

As I said at the start, this is probably irrelevant for others because it's highly unlikely that your router is as dodgy as mine was. However, it might be worth a quick check to verify that your network IPs are all unique. You could even assign reserved IPs for your watch, companion device and development box if desperate.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did a factory reset and it did not fix the problem. I assigned static IPs and it did not fix the problem.

Very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you check that nothing else is using the wifi connection?

e.g

Sync has worked, but is not currently trying to sync.

Gallery is not trying to install apps.

Pandora isn't syncing music.

Any of those things can prevent the developer bridge from connecting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can also try rebooting the Ionic, then start the bridge as soon as the device has started.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't connect the ionic either and it's doing my head in!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HayRabbit wrote:

I can't connect the ionic either and it's doing my head in!!

Can you provide any further information? Steps you've tried, any error messages. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can connect my phone to the developer bridge, but not my ionic. It just continually says either wifi connection error, connecting to server, or reconnecting. I have tried removing the device and adding it again to my profile, hard resetting the watch. Nothing seems to work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's another spectacularly long shot: Do those who are experiencing troubles have a Google Home app on their network talking to a Chromecast or similar device? If so, it could be this problem. If so, try uninstalling and unplugging those.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Presumably WiFi frequency isn't the problem. Ionic only does 2.4 GHz I think. I gather people are able to sync okay, so must be using 2.4 GHz. If you can't even sync, try 2.4.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did have google home on my mobile and was using a chromecast device. I uninstalled google home and unplugged chromecast but it did not solve the problem 😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

This hasn't worked...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still no fix for this issue? 2018-05-28

Best Answer