Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companion app is not loading in the Fitbit App

ANSWERED

At some point during the day today the Fitbit App has started to misbehave.

The sideloaded app under the development option in the Fitbit App is slow refreshing its list, and no app appears in the list. When starting a new project (or the same project), the same happens - the "run"-function in the studio reports success, but the companion doesn't start, and the companion does not show in the list (the app on the ionic starts, but there is no connection to the companion).

I have seen some other posts that seems to be the same problem - have noone solved the problem? Will I have to reinstall the app? (will that work?) 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I did have the latest version, my phone is automatically updating the apps.

I am on Android, using a Huawei P10 Plus. 

I did an reinstall of the app, and I think it's safe to say it is not reccomended…

Eventually the refresh in the developer-menu returned with the list of apps, and the problem was fixed by removing the companion app, and redeploy. I am now doing this fairly often when the app behaves strangely. 

I think what causes these situations is some issues between the app (on the phone) and the Bluetooth stack on the phone, there are fairly often messaging problems also - the watch pushes messages, but they are not received on the companion. Too often I also get sync problems during normal use of the fitbit-app on the phone (maybe every second day or so). 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I'm not aware of that issue. Do you have the latest version? Which platform are you on? Did you try to kill the companion app and see how it goes after?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I did have the latest version, my phone is automatically updating the apps.

I am on Android, using a Huawei P10 Plus. 

I did an reinstall of the app, and I think it's safe to say it is not reccomended…

Eventually the refresh in the developer-menu returned with the list of apps, and the problem was fixed by removing the companion app, and redeploy. I am now doing this fairly often when the app behaves strangely. 

I think what causes these situations is some issues between the app (on the phone) and the Bluetooth stack on the phone, there are fairly often messaging problems also - the watch pushes messages, but they are not received on the companion. Too often I also get sync problems during normal use of the fitbit-app on the phone (maybe every second day or so). 

Best Answer

I have the latest version and I'm on Android. I seem to have no Side Loaded Apps in the developers Menu (Fails to retrieve apps every time).According to my console, the Companion App Starts, gets launched, Opens socket. But I can't open it at all on my phone.

Barry Michael Doyle
Best Answer
0 Votes

@barrymdoyle: can you try to reinstall the companion app? It seems it fixed the issue for @Spind11v.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Chiming in with similar messaging related issues.

1) Running current app and firmware.

2) I re-push the companion and app regularly as development is still ongoing.

My watchface companion does a call to an app with a web server running on the same phone (OnePlus 3T) with a JSON API endpoint.  It then manipulates the data and sends it to the watch for data display and graph generation.

Issues:

1) Occasionally I get Socket not open when the companion tries to grab the data over an http connection.  When this happens repeatedly I can successfully pull up the webpage via chrome on the same phone verifying that the data source isn't the issue.  Then randomly it will start working again.

2) Message passing out from the phone (no messaging back yet to see if it's symmetrical issue, haven't coded it in yet) is unreliable, very unreliable.  The data should be pushed out every 5 min and sometimes it will update after 6 min, 15 min, 5 min, or not for a few hours, etc.  It doesn't seem to match setInterval() at all.  My general sync to the ionic is also unreliable, generally runs whenever I manually trigger it but even with all day polling it frequently will sit with "x hours" since last sync.

I've even switched my watchface that I'm building to an app instead and that seemed to improve the web connect but still occasional issues, and didn't improve the message passing reliability to speak of.  Also, this really can't remain an app, lose all things like whatsapp/sms alerts, etc. 

This watchface is to display Blood Glucose data from a continuous glucose monitor so the data updates MUST be timely and reasonably reliable. 

Best Answer