Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companion app not starting

Hi.

I am having problems with the Companion app not starting.  Using the BART example (also tried  another app that is working for others) the companion app does not start.  There are no console messages from  companion/index.js in Fitbit Studio or on the Fitbit Android App – Sideloaded Apps.  Here the logs are empty and Status is Unavailable.  If I try to Delete Application from Sideloaded Apps I get ‘Failed to delete app’.  Developer Bridge is enabled and connected on the Ionic and the Android app. 

I have tried, along with many restarts of the phone and the Ionic:

1. Unpair/pair the Ionic from the mobile App
  2. Clear Android Apps data and reinstall the Fitbit app.  
  3. 1 and 2 together.

This did not help.

I performed a Factory Reset on the Ionic along with 1 and 2 above and this temporarily resolved the issue, the BART companion app did start.  However when I make any change to the Sideloaded app and redeploy, or add another Sideloaded app the issue reoccurs and the previously working companion app will never start again.  The Factory reset is taking around 30 mins so this is not really a usable workaround. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks Lee

Ionic: 27.30.3.2

Fitbit (Android): 2.60 (2193190)

Android: 7.0 (Galaxy S8)

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

This seems to be an Ionic or Fitbit app issue as I have confirmed the same behaviour on iOS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issues, but I'm not willing to "Factory Reset" the device again.

This is quite annoying...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I encounter something similar. Sometimes, after sideloading a clockface of mine, the companion does not start. Sometimes a sync solves it but often I need to re-sideload it and then it does work. And keeps on working. Until I use the Music app which kills the traffic between the app and the companion. Not tried a workout app yet. Will try this evening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used the excersise app to track a walk. No stability issue with the clockface.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not to jump on the me too bandwagon but I am experiencing the same issues with my Galaxt S8 +. 

Best Answer

I face the same issue. When I start the application on my fitbit ionic connected to my Galaxy S8, the companion code is not started. The only way to fix this is to open the settings and change at least one. 

That's quite impacting for many scenario as without the companion started i can not make any fetch from the internet. 

Best Answer