Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete Location History

Hello,

I posted this on the community forum, but my question is probably best suited for this page.  I am wondering if it is possible to download complete location history recorded by a Fitbit Ionic (i.e. GPS during activity events and outside of the time I am active).  Basically, can I use the Ionic as a location monitor?

I looked at the documentation for the Geolocation API, but it wasn't clear to me if I can pull and cache historical location data versus simply viewing current location.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@clw27 wrote:

Hello,

I posted this on the community forum, but my question is probably best suited for this page.  I am wondering if it is possible to download complete location history recorded by a Fitbit Ionic (i.e. GPS during activity events and outside of the time I am active).  Basically, can I use the Ionic as a location monitor?

I looked at the documentation for the Geolocation API, but it wasn't clear to me if I can pull and cache historical location data versus simply viewing current location.

Thanks!

You can't really look back at where the watch was, but you can monitor the location and record it. The GPS API includes the ability to call the watchPosition routine whenever the location changes.

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats great!  Do you know of any example apps that I could use as a template?  I am unfamiliar with JavaScript (R programmer).  Is it possible to record the GPS data to a file?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@clw27 wrote:

Thats great!  Do you know of any example apps that I could use as a template?  I am unfamiliar with JavaScript (R programmer).  Is it possible to record the GPS data to a file?

It is possible. There are examples of almost everything at Github, but I've found the best, easiest place to start is the Fitbit studio starter templates. The example code in the Fitbit code reference pretty much always works, but connecting the pieces you want together to work the way you want can be a bit problematic without some JavaScript skills.

A very good, very applicable tutorial may be found at w3schools. I highly recommend it as a starting point.

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes