Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Versa 2 have gyroscope and orientation sensors?

ANSWERED

When running this code on a Versa 2, the Versa 2 reports it does not have an OrientationSensor and Gyroscope. Is that expected? I am wanting to have a clockface react to wrist rotation.

import { OrientationSensor } from "orientation";
import { Gyroscope } from "gyroscope";

if (OrientationSensor) {
    console.log("This device has an OrientationSensor!");
} else {
    console.log("This device does NOT have an OrientationSensor!");
}

if (Gyroscope) {
   console.log("This device has a Gyroscope!");
} else {
   console.log("This device does NOT have a Gyroscope!");
}

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I see on the product marketing pages that only the Ionic has the gyroscope. I could not find any mention of an orientation sensor on any of the device product marketing pages. This should be noted in the technical documentation!

Is anyone aware of any open source libraries that assist with turning accelerator data into something like the Orientation API?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

That is expected. Try using the accelerometer as a kludge.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Why is this expected? Is the feature not actually available or does the Versa 2 not actually have these sensors? Using the accelerator data would be much, much more difficult to detect wrist rotation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Versa 2 doesn't have those sensors. You can see the specs here; compare with other devices.

Using accelerometer to detect wrist rotation may not be as hard as you think, because the accelerometer reports gravity. Ergo, you can use it like a noisy orientation sensor (in some dimensions).

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, I see on the product marketing pages that only the Ionic has the gyroscope. I could not find any mention of an orientation sensor on any of the device product marketing pages. This should be noted in the technical documentation!

Is anyone aware of any open source libraries that assist with turning accelerator data into something like the Orientation API?

Best Answer
0 Votes