Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 4 Development Kit

ANSWERED

I'd like to know how can I develop an App or a Clock face for the Fitbit Charge 4.

The Fitbit Studio SDK can build Apps just for the Ionic and Versa smartwatches: https://studio.fitbit.com/ 

Can anyone help me?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, only Fitbit can develop things for Charge 4. It doesn't provide an API for other developers.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Unfortunately, only Fitbit can develop things for Charge 4. It doesn't provide an API for other developers.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

What a pity @Gondwana  it would be nice to have the chance to develop something for the Charge product line too.

Is it planned for the future or there's no way to hope?

Best Answer

Several people have wished to be able to do this.

I'm guessing that it's unlikely to be possible ever. 'Charge' watches are categorised as 'trackers' rather than 'smart watches'. As such, they don't have an operating system (eg, Fitbit OS) which is capable of supporting third-party development. I suspect that the hardware required to support Fitbit OS is steeper than that available in the Charge line.

A Charge with Fitbit OS would arguably not be a Charge. 😁

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

I get your point: probably internal development for Charge 4 it's not done with an SDK / programming language easily usable from external developers... But something like assembly.

So, in spite of the relatively low price difference, smartwatches and trackers have a very different platform.

I understand this, yet I am a little disappointed, can't deny it! 🙂

The main reason is, as I wrote in another post, that Charge 4 has sensors whose values are not directly visible to users, like altimeter.

It's a pity, isn't it? I wanted to develop a clock face which can show the altitude. Not a very original idea I guess, but that would be nice to have 🙂

Best Answer

A Charge with better OS would be a Charge full of power. 😛 Now it's leashed and you sound like it's a thing to be proud. It's not. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's very unfortunate

Best Answer
0 Votes

昼寝をしたら起こしてくれるアプリをCharge4で作りたかった

I wanted to make an app that would wake me up when I took a nap.

Versa3に買い換えるかな

Best Answer

unfortunate indeed. selling mine...

Best Answer
0 Votes