Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa 4 SDK support

I regularly use an Android app named "Simple Time Tracker," which also has a WearOS-specific version. Unfortunately, there's no cross-compatibility between WearOS and Fitbit OS, and I hope this might be addressed in the future.

In attempting to create an app with similar functionality — specifically, to send broadcast intents to the companion app on the phone — I've encountered an issue: I can't establish a connection between my computer and my Fitbit Versa 4. The device displays "Developer Bridge - Charger Connected - USB Debugging On" but the FitBit CLI shows "No devices are connected and available". Additionally, I've noticed that the simulator doesn't offer an option for the Versa 4, leaving me uncertain about the specific platform requirements I should be developing for.

Any guidance or assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @rolandoC - I moved your post to the SDK forum for better help.

You can look in this forum how some issues are addressed but there is no official SDK released and there is no OS Simulator or developer bridge for Windows for a Versa 4.

However don't develop for the Versa 4, instead use Versa 3.

That way you can develop with the published SDK and working Simulator in order to test your program.

When you are ready, create a version for the Versa 4 and add it to a GAM project and load it to your watch via a private link.

There are differences and you can test on the watch.

Create a debugging window on the watch face to track progress in case it fails, one more difficult issue to track down is you can't have SVG fields with no length defined implicitly or explicitly.

With that window you create your own console log and use the watch like you would the simulator (which doesn't always handle all functions the watch does)

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Hi @Guy_ ! Thank you very much for your answer, it has cleared up some of the confusion.

However, one thing I'm still not sure about is how to test a Companion app using the Simulator. As I said in my original query, I want to send Intents to my phone (these automatically interact with the Simple Time Tracker app I have installed, I've tested this with NFC tags), and I'm not sure how this can be tested via the Simulator as I can't see a phone UI of any sort (even though it does indicate that the Simulator connected as a phone). Any ideas on how to solve this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @rolandoC - did you find the developer menu in the Fitbit App , this may be the answer.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

'Intents' are an Android (including Wear OS) thing, and don't apply to Fitbit OS. You'll need a more complicated architecture to send Intents. Your watch app will need to communicate with a companion module that runs within the Fitbit mobile app on your phone. The companion module will then need to communicate with a server (which can be an Android app) via fetch() or WebSockets. The server app can then create Android Intents.

You'll need to be very determined to get this going!

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes