Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app takes over bluetooth connection to peripheral managed by another app

Hey all, I've been pointed to this forum by fitbit support in an attempt to get in touch with the development team for the Fitbit app - let me know if this is entirely the wrong place. 

Context: We make a digital ski coach app, which connects to two BLE pripherals. The connection is handled within our app, and we dont bond with the peripheral. Over the last season we had a few customers (and staff members) report an issue where the connection to the bluetooth peripherals are maintained even after force closing our app. This causes our app, when reopened, to be unable to connect to the peripherals as they're already connected to the phone. 

I reproduced this issue on a staff members phone who was having this issue. 

Probing the bluetooth_manager state via adb seems to show that the fitbit app is maintaining the connection to our bluetooth peripheral after our app is force closed (See logs below). Our peripheral mac used in testing is E1:19:8C:C6:FA:80. 

Killing the fitbit app via adb shell am force-stop com.fitbit.FitbitMobile kills the connection to the peripheral. 

I'm no bluetooth expert, and i've no idea how this could even happen but it does seem strange and is affecting some of our customers. The affected staff members both have fitbit devices and the fitbit app installed. On uninstalling the fitbit app, the issue dissapears. This aligns somewhat with the number of affected customers - as its not a widespread issue and only affects a few customers. 

Short term, when customers come into our support with this issue, we'll just tell them to try uninstalling the fitbit app, which obviously isn't a great experience for either of our companies. So, if there's anyone with any knowledge about how the fitbit app handles bluetooth connections, I'd appreciate any and all information to help debug this. 

-----

GATT Client Map
Entries: 3

com.motionmetrics.carv (<- our app, which has been force closed)
LE scans (started/stopped) : 0 / 0
Scan time in ms (active/suspend/total) : 0 / 0 / 0
Scan time with mode in ms (Opp/LowPower/Balanced/LowLatency/AmbientDiscovery😞0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Scan mode counter (Opp/LowPower/Balanced/LowLatency/AmbientDiscovery😞0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Score : 0
Total number of results : 0

android.uid.bluetooth:1002 (Registered)
Scan time with mode in ms (Opp/LowPower/Balanced/LowLatency/AmbientDiscovery😞0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Scan mode counter (Opp/LowPower/Balanced/LowLatency/AmbientDiscovery😞0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Application ID : 8
UUID : 9f8a60e5-fe2f-4a47-9c06-4b8ce520efef
Connections: 1
05-16 10:54:38 - 2332316ms : E1:19:8C:C6:FA:80 (8)

com.fitbit.FitbitMobile (Registered)
Application ID : 9
UUID : 3f6afcdd-d6ea-4fcf-bd18-bd7cbcb2d3c5
05-16 10:57:50 - 2140939ms : E1:19:8C:C6:FA:80 (9) (<- our peripheral, which was connected via our app)

GATT Server Map
Entries: 1

com.fitbit.FitbitMobile (Registered)
Application ID : 6
UUID : 91394a02-03a2-4961-8391-3c8b1f1b36c1
05-16 10:54:38 - 2332334ms : E1:19:8C:C6:FA:80 (6)
Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Thanks for letting us know. I've passed this onto the Android team and hopefully it can be addressed in a future update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jon, thanks for getting back to me. If the team need help verifying any fixes, please feel free to reach out - reproducing the issue requires our proprietary hardware so may not be the simplest to look into. 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes