Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit versa 2 does not have correct API

ANSWERED

I just got a FitBit Versa 2 Version 35.70.714.
I was able to connect it using development bridge. The same thing with the phone. I'm using an Iphone13 mini.
When I try to run a sample app on FitBit studio, I get the the following on the console
Sideload of app failed. Connected device does not support API version requested by app.

The way I understood it is that the Build went fine but the installation did not. By reading around it seems like I have an old version and thus an older SDK. Do I have to update my device manually or will I get the update soon(some time from when I first turned on my device, aside from the initial one that was made).

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @ac_devel  - it seems your watch has an old/initial OS version, the latest is 35.72.1.15.

The cause may be a factory reset and/or the setup didn't run properly to install the latest firmware version.

You can wait a few days and often a new version can be presented. If not contact Fitbit support and they can schedule an update.

If your watch is working fine otherwise it may not be a good idea to do a factory reset, as that might not always work and then you may have a dead watch that can't be used anymore.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

It can take up to a couple of days before you're offered a firmware update. Make sure your Fitbit mobile app is the current version, so it will know of, and work with, the latest watch firmware.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Hi @ac_devel  - it seems your watch has an old/initial OS version, the latest is 35.72.1.15.

The cause may be a factory reset and/or the setup didn't run properly to install the latest firmware version.

You can wait a few days and often a new version can be presented. If not contact Fitbit support and they can schedule an update.

If your watch is working fine otherwise it may not be a good idea to do a factory reset, as that might not always work and then you may have a dead watch that can't be used anymore.

Best Answer

I see. I may have to resort to using the simulator in the meantime. I was surprised I didn't get the latest FW as soon as I turned on the device and had it online through WiFi

Best Answer

@ac_devel  - normally during the setup of a new watch when you run " Set up a new Device"  in the Fitbit App it should download the latest firmware.

Is this a new watch, and what happened during setup that missed that step,? Any information could be useful.

The simulator is good for testing many things.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I got the device, I turned it on and connected to the App. It did start the update through WIFI but it was short time update. I saw at some point that the device lost connection to my phone for a while but it kept on going and no "FAILED" update error was shown so I assumed it went on fine. However I proceeded on putting on the watch and skipped attaching it to a computer (I assumed it really does not matter since all watched I had so far would download updates through app). I reached out to the support and even them see that there is no update available and also told me that it may take a couple of days to get the newer FW. 
I will give it until tomorrow and it I don't get the update, I'll ask if I can return it and get either a Versa 3 or a different Versa 2. For development, I'm using simulator but I would really need a device to feel some vibrations. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ac_devel  - thanks for the info, odd that it didn't succeed with the firmware update. It's one way to revert back out of a recent firmware upgrade that is problematic if one can do it. Unfortunately it takes you back to square one and no possibility to add a later update, only the latest.

Vibration is one of the Simulator's weak points unfortunately, and it's good to have a real watch to test on for the intended usage. But most of the time it does a great job.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my specific case, I didi a factory restart, removed FitBit from my app and fitbit.com.
I re-did the process to zero. This time, I kept the fitbit connected to the laptop and kept phone and devices close and did not move anything. (Yesterday I was walking aroung with both). It did take on the the OS and then moved to installing the newest FW. I can now run the app on my watch! Thanks!!!

To summarize:
- When device is new, keep it charged (connected to computer)

- DL the app and connect device to app.

- Start update: keep watch close to phone.

Best Answer

I love a happy ending. 😉

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer