Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golf App

ANSWERED

I'd like to write a golf app that is 100% controlled using voice commands.  For instance, the user says "shoot", the app records the gps location and records a stroke for the players score. The app would always respond verbally to each recognized command thru a connected Bluetooth headset.

I have a Sense which, I believe, has a microphone and gps so the hardware is there.

I have an Android mobile app that is 99.9% but am frustrated that Android is not ready for an app to be 100% voice controlled. 

With a Fitbit app, I'm assuming my Android phone (or Windows tablet?) would be storing the game data.

I've never written an app for a wearable device but am willing to invest in the learning curve. 

Is such an app feasible?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So Fitbit isn't ready either.  I might try making my Fitbit a slave to my Android app for status info but that's all I can use it for at the moment.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @BJE57 

I've moved your post to the SDK group.   Someone here should be able to answer your questions.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

So, short answer, is no.  At least according to my research.

Geolocation is easy...Some watches have an embedded GPS and the other fall back to using the phone...transparent to the app.

However

There is not text to speech function  - the app cannot talk to the user.

There is not speech to text function - the app cannot listen for the user to say something.

It's probably possible to have the companion side do some of the above but Android really isn't ready for that so it doesn't help.

So, I'm re-thinking my approach.  Do I really need the app to talk and listen if the watch is on my wrist...maybe not...

Best Answer
0 Votes

So Fitbit isn't ready either.  I might try making my Fitbit a slave to my Android app for status info but that's all I can use it for at the moment.

Best Answer
0 Votes