Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate API

Is there any way to make the Heart Rate data be accurate at least to one or two decimal places? I am creating an HRV application, I seem to be having some accuracy issues with my application because the Heart Rate data (although all numbers are technically doubles JavaScript) the data seems to only come in as a whole number.

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

I'm pretty sure there isn't. It's best to think of the reported HR value as being the average over the last few seconds (normally). Moreover, reporting it to 0.01 precision might give a misleading impression of its accuracy.

As an aside, in JS, I think all numbers are of type Number and that JS doesn't have a separate type for integers.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Right... The application essentially takes the "distance" in Milliseconds between beats, the number of beats it uses to make this determination depending on how I set the Frequency and Batch. I have it reading every second so that it pulls its heart rate data from two beats, hopefully... Yes, you are correct it's either an Integer or floating point depending on what the variable is assigned to. I apologize for using Java terminology there (double). So, to clarify my original question some more I. I am using Immediate Heartbeat data to try an obtain this Milliseconds between Beats (which is simply 60,000 / BPM). The original data comes from Milliseconds between beats it is just calculated down to BPM and then rounded off to the nearest whole number. Reverting back to Milliseconds loses a certain degree of precision here, not much but a fair bit. What loses more precision is that I am taking the standard deviation, of the average milliseconds between beats. (RMSSD - Root Mean Square of Successive Differences) is the formula I am using if you want more context on that. 

Best Answer

Due to this rounding issue when the Heart Rate Variability should be for example 30 or so, it shows it is really low due to the precision loss. So maybe a feature suggestion may be appropriate here?

Best Answer